The online racing simulator
rFactor isn't the perfect game, but what is? The tyre model is severely screwy (like most ISI-based sims), but people like Niels do their best to fix this problem in the way they develop their mods. Aside from that, it's incredibly moddable, which provides a great diversity of racing, but pick-up races are almost impossible (because of the great diversity).

If you had to choose between rF and LFS, get LFS. But if you're looking for an addition, and you enjoy diversity of options, get rF
Yeh, i use lfs for my racing needs, and use rfactor for my nordschleife-bathurst-v8 supercar fetishes
Quote from batteryy :could you just tell me is rFactor a good or bad game?

Objection! Question, as posed, requires a subjective answer which can lead to needless debate.
I reinstalled rFactor in a moment of madness last week. I've tried all the major mods and not one of them felt good driving on the limit. It's a shame, rFactor has so much good stuff in theory, but the driving feeling, as always, lets it down.
The F1 1988 cars are a laugh but the age old ISI problem of not having a clue when your on the edge, and spinning without having a clue it was coming, just ruins it.

Niels' Corvette Mod is the only one that felt like it bared some resemblance to driving on real tires Nice job Niels That car isn't my cup of tea unfortuately, but i can appreciate the work you've put in getting things to feel right.

It really is a pity the makers of the Epsilon mod dismissed your help as they did. That's the sort of car that appeals to me, but as it stands it suffers the same problem as all the other mods. No matter how i set it up i cant risk driving it like you do in your vid. Your physics work looks fantastic. I so want to drive that car with your physics. Damn those stubborn modders!
It also is worrying as they are the ones who make the LMS mod, one I've looked forward to very much...
as much as i might like to try it, everytime i put rfactor on to try new mods they always dissapoint no matter how hyped up it is and theres so much time spent messing around with mod files and downloads. Ive learned to just not waste my time now.
Exactly how I felt, willy.. its all crap, and all the time they say the physics are real and 'tested by real drivers', its just more crap..

So I spent most of my spare time trying to fix that by reason and physics, not by bullcrap. Still i can't guarantee you'll like it.

Edit that url: LMAO!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :So I spent most of my spare time trying to fix that by reason and physics, not by bullcrap.

And that's why rFactor is still installed
it's too bad that these improved physics can't be shared publically. i'm also looking for a more realistic F1 sim, but all the cars seem way too fast. i can easily beat RL world records w/ verious F1 mods. that could be because the tracks themselves arent modeled correctly (too much grip or modeled incorrectly)

Also, i'm still itching for the corvette 3.0 mod like itches for rocks
*cough*
Quote from The Moose :
Niels' Corvette Mod is the only one that felt like it bared some resemblance to driving on real tires Nice job Niels That car isn't my cup of tea unfortuately, but i can appreciate the work you've put in getting things to feel right.

CSGTs preview of their upcoming WSC mod is very promising, you get to drive four Porsches (911, 914, 906, 910), well worth a few laps in the 911 and predictable to drive.

Also you might be interested in taking a look at the EOAA DBR9 mod (including patch 1.01), I changed the tires from GTR spec to something somewhat more sensible (thanks to Niel's advice) and the developer released the new tires, the result is something completely different from any other GT car in an ISI sim, much easier to drive and the suspension and tires whilst not perfect are both a whole lot more sensible than the typical GTR nonsense.
Long beach 1979 and nuerburg good w/ the lower powered touring cars the porsche 911 3.0 is fun on tight tracks as well as higher speed ones like magny cours and spa.
Old or new fuji speedway's good to get comfortable with the cars. bathurst, Suzuka. the long straightaways on tracks like Jiading, sepang give you a chance to rest a bit.
#41 - JJ72
Quote from ajp71 :CSGTs preview of their upcoming WSC mod is very promising, you get to drive four Porsches (911, 914, 906, 910), well worth a few laps in the 911 and predictable to drive.

This is a huge disappointment, the cars are glued to the track and no sense of nervousness you expect from a classic porsche.

and don't get me started on the car models.
Quote from JJ72 :This is a huge disappointment, the cars are glued to the track and no sense of nervousness you expect from a classic porsche.

Which were taken from NFS5...
Quote from T.Kaneda :
Can you suggest some other tracks that you find particularly well-suited to showcasing the Historic cars?

If you're not concerned about visual quality a lot of the Australian tracks and GPL conversions are really nice tracks to drive and race on.

Quote from JJ72 :This is a huge disappointment, the cars are glued to the track and no sense of nervousness you expect from a classic porsche.

In what way do you feel the 911 is 'glued' to the road? The 911 doesn't feel like an overpowered monster because it isn't, it is a very well balanced low power production car that is great fun to drive and race, the tires are sensible and the lateral forces are low. On the limit it does behave like a 911, particularly on lifting off. If you drive it badly it will be a handful but is normally just about controllable. If you're talking about any of the other cars, then they are mid engined and low powered so are going to be very neutral unless you're really working with them on the limit.
#44 - JJ72
it is simply like being glued to the road, compare to most RF mods. I was able to trash it around deliberately and it wouldn't get loose, even when I was driving like an amature drifter.

for proper porsche handling, I much perfer 911RSR the port from GTL.
Quote from JJ72 :it is simply like being glued to the road, compare to most RF mods. I was able to trash it around deliberately and it wouldn't get loose, even when I was driving like an amature drifter.

for proper porsche handling, I much perfer 911RSR the port from GTL.

You prefer tires that do the whole sudden loss of grip nonsense? I suggest you try driving a real car on the limit and you'll soon see why no one can reproduce GTR slip curves...
Well after watching this mod I ordered rfactor

Only £18 on play so meh, I know it wont beat LFS for physics simulation after trying the demo but after watching a couple of mods, like this mod you've made () and the realf1 mod I thought what the hell.
hehe looks like you are about to change your avarar again Niels
Quote from spacedskunk :Well after watching this mod I ordered rfactor

Only £18 on play so meh, I know it wont beat LFS for physics simulation after trying the demo but after watching a couple of mods, like this mod you've made () and the realf1 mod I thought what the hell.

You DO know that Niels cannot release these physics files, right? It's not his mod and the mod creators still pretty much have the thumbs up their butts. The original physics are downright awful.
#49 - 5haz
It's inconsistency that is the problem with rFactor, some parts are good, others completely crap, everyone judges rFactor on the crap bits, and so there is an rFactoraphobia on this forum.

Once I had fiddled with the FFB settings, things arent too bad physics wise, still not as good as LFS though.
Quote from AndroidXP :You DO know that Niels cannot release these physics files, right? It's not his mod and the mod creators still pretty much have the thumbs up their butts. The original physics are downright awful.

I dont mind, a week ago the only racing game I have ever owned for the PC was LFS and richard burns rally...yet I payed £150 for the g25. LFS looks to be the king of physics yet I wanted more racing games to use my wheel with...so I settled to the fact that I already had the more realistic one and any others would feel poor in the physics department. I got rfactor and GRID this very week...rfactor because it does look quite fun despite not being as good as LFS (and I know that because I tried the demo)...and GRID because I had fun playing it even though its arcade.

You have dissapointed me about this mod not being released though, but its just tough on my part.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG