The online racing simulator
Question About FPS Rates.
(18 posts, started )
Hey,
I was wondering what is better to do, should i lock my FPS at say 60fps, or let them run free at about 330-345 fps? im just wondering which is better from my graphics card etc.

Thanks Michael
Now that's a nice problem to have...
My laptop can give 35-65 fps so I did not cap it, obviously. Good cpu and ram, limited gpu so full grid do not take a too heavy toll.
I assume that you would not feel any difference capping at 100 or 120fps, while relieving your system.
I would lock it at the native frame rate of your monitor or its maximum frame rate. Then I put vertical sync on to prevent tearing of the image. It's better visually if you happen to notice tearing. It is probably better for the monitor too because it doesn't have to process images so quickly at such a high frame rate. If you don't care though, it is up to you to limit your fps to a comfortable setting.
You should lock it to some value which is divisible with your monitor refresh rate, eg. if your monitor runs at 75 Hz, lock the fps at 75, 150, 225 or 300.

Stable fps generally feels smoother than bouncing, but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference in your case since you get 300+ :eek:
Same for vsync, it depends on your set. Disabling it may cause image tearing but enabling wasn't smooth at all for me, so I decided to leave it off and lock my fps at 75.
#5 - Woz
yep lock as people have said. I would say try vsync.

If you have a CRT set the refresh to 100Hz as that is the refresh rate of the LFS physics engine. Ig you have LCD probably better locking at multiples of 60, prob 120 ish.
i have a LCD, and its at 60hz i think, so lock it at about 120fps?
#7 - Jakg
You could just turn up the AA / AF...
there both on 16x atm and as high as they go in the ingame options
#9 - Jakg
What are your PC specs?
GeForce 8800GT 512mb

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz

1gb DDR2 RAM

I used to get 250-260fps, but ever since i updated to patch Y22 i get an average from 300-345 fps depending on my location on the track
#11 - Jakg
Right.

I'm going to bow out now as I think theres no way in hell you'll get 250 FPS with that config, full AA / AF in a full grid.
i never mentioned a full grid? you should read the post a bit more carefully mr.g

Edit: screenie of a full grid
Attached images
for jak.jpg
It doesn't really matter because it's smooth either way. I'd just lock it at my screen's refresh rate by using VSync (85fps because of 85Hz @ 1024x768).
Quote from mickyc30 :i never mentioned a full grid? you should read the post a bit more carefully mr.g

Edit: screenie of a full grid

psh, with full grid behind you and only 6 cars drawn in mirrors...

Go to south city, add all cars, and then place yourself last
off topic-im not the only one from Massachusetts anymore yay

on topic-run it @ full specs all cars south city and be in last place

btw make em bf1s =]
fine here you go
Attached images
SC.jpg
#17 - Jakg
Nice work with the dynamic LOD!

BTW - FPS worst case scenario - 19 Ai's in FBM's at SO Chicane with you at the back
BLAH! Micky you are anoying. btw, why did you requested me as a friend?
E: YOU ARE ADDING EVERYONE! blah what penguin

And back to topic:
Seems like you are running 800x600 resolution with 2x/8x AA/AF with high dynamic LOD reduction..

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG