The online racing simulator
Sighting and Warm-up Lap
This may be a new feature or not, I havent seen it on any sim...until now. Yes we all know what takes place in a sighting and warm-up lap but its very cool to do in a sim.

GP Bikes by PiBoSo has this feature in the sim and the feature is really neat and adds a new kind of drama to the racing.

For the sighting lap everyone leaves from pit-lane and has 5 mins to get around the track and find their qualifying position on the track. This is indicated by an big red arrow pointing to your start box. Once everyone is present in their starting spots then you do the warm-up lap around the track(in the given time limit) and roll up to your spot as indicated in the sighting lap.

I would like to see this in LFS if not for everyday server use but for leagues to use. Its kinda cool!

Why am I posting in the CTRA section and not the general LFS area...cuz CTRA is all I race in LFS so it should be used here first!
Yep, Becky has a system she wrote for the STCC. When the CTRA stops developing our software the idea was to get some leagues going. Some of these leagues will run a similar system so all hope is not lost!

I used her older version of the system last year and I really like it, you had a bit of time to get some heat into the tires, and you could park at sligtly different angles so you could get maximum traction to fill the gaps with the RB4 without having to turn. We did have a couple pileups the first go, but that was from unfamiliarity.
*quietly s****s because Chris can't spell "tyres"*

I never thought of this - but I really like the idea! Putting it in everyday servers is indeed a recipe for disaster, but it'd be very nice to see in league races or even perhaps the higher-licenced servers? Hmm. Perhaps they run races a little too often to use this, maybe it should be for event races only.

But I reckon the LFS developers will actually get this put into the game as a server-side option at one point or another. Seems like too much of a realistic aspect to miss, doesn't it?

Apparently I'm not allowed to spell s****** correctly because it has the N-word in it. Pffff. I do hate political correctness sometimes!

Sam
Sam, Chris is American that's how they spell tyres. They're wrong, but Chris' knowledge of spelling isn't to blame here... :P

Before I make my point i'll just say that the warmup lap start system I made isn't totally unique, there have been rolling start systems used in a few leagues prior to my standing start system so I cant go taking credit for innovation here.

With regards the CTRA maybe it could feature on endurance days on Race 3?

I'm going to be doing some LFS coding before too long as I want to rewrite X-Start and X-Cam to feature lots of new stuff, I see no reason why these cant be made public utilities next time around.
#5 - Dru
sry but this really should be in improvement/discussion threads rather than CTRA
Dru: I don't think so. Standing start after a warm up lap can be quite tricky. I've never done things like that before, since I'm not a RL racing driver. But I really think that this should be done firstly on CTRA, beacuse here people have much more care to the others, than on other servers.

Becky: Nice to hear this info from you, I hope this feature can be implemented to the CTRA soon.
This would be ideal for STCC broadcasts(if we will see anymore) because all the pre race intros and stuff can be done while the drivers are doing the warm-up lap.

Dark Elite - it is too much of a real aspect to miss...thats why I dont get why we havent seen it implimented until now, and on a bike sim to boot! By the way, whats the N-word? haha

In GP-Bikes, you dont have to do the sighting lap, only the warm-up lap if need be.
Quote from Becky :Sam, Chris is American that's how they spell tyres. They're wrong, but Chris' knowledge of spelling isn't to blame here... :P

Ahh, well, I checked the flag and knew the UKCT membership, so I assumed it was just the amount of Americans around here that was corrupting his brain... But if he was born like it I suppose I'll have to take it back

Quote from Becky :With regards the CTRA maybe it could feature on endurance days on Race 3?

I thought that initially, but then I reckoned that even endurance day doesn't see really long, event-style races, and people might get a bit annoyed with the delay slowing their actual racing time and therefore their points gain as well. Just thinking, it might not go down too well if we see it in use in server-cycle races. Not sure, though, might be worth a poll?

It's a good point, hariel-HUN-, but I think that if this was implemented by the LFS developers then everyone would get used to it, rather than just CTRA racers - so then, when someone comes into the CTRA servers for the first time, they know what they're doing with it and don't make a huge mess.

Yeah.. Funny how the more-common-these-days spelling of the N-word is allowed though, eh?

Sam
#9 - Dru
Quote from hariel-HUN- :Dru: I don't think so. Standing start after a warm up lap can be quite tricky. I've never done things like that before, since I'm not a RL racing driver. But I really think that this should be done firstly on CTRA, beacuse here people have much more care to the others, than on other servers.

so you are saying that any LFS development is gonna be be alpha tested on the CTRA servers? :scratch
Quote :This would be ideal for STCC broadcasts(if we will see anymore) because all the pre race intros and stuff can be done while the drivers are doing the warm-up lap.

Navigation and warmup laps where done in STCC Round 12 for exactly that reason, but to date I have not made the broadcast. I would like to, as a pilot for season 2, once all the season 2 software is ready.
Quote from Dru :so you are saying that any LFS development is gonna be be alpha tested on the CTRA servers? :scratch

Sadly, yes.

LFS developent team is doing almost nothing. Last time they released a patch with some "huuuuuge" changes, like JPG textures can only be used for track textures, and now anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering is available. It's nothing special. Oh! I fogot the new menu. WOW.

So we must very-very thankful for the UKCT guys (and Becky of course), to make some real developement to our sim.
I would suggest you do not publicly insult the work of the developers, in future.

Such a tiny team working on such a massive project needs all the support they can get, and that includes from us. I, for one, will therefore never be disappointed with any updates they can give us. Of course, I always acknowledge the fantastic work that the UKCT put in - and I hope they know that - but that does not detract from the work of the developers. Bear in mind that whilst the CTRA deals with one aspect of LFS - ie, running and tracking races in servers - a smaller team of developers is working on the whole thing.

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :I would suggest you do not publicly insult the work of the developers, in future.

Such a tiny team working on such a massive project needs all the support they can get, and that includes from us. I, for one, will therefore never be disappointed with any updates they can give us. Of course, I always acknowledge the fantastic work that the UKCT put in - and I hope they know that - but that does not detract from the work of the developers. Bear in mind that whilst the CTRA deals with one aspect of LFS - ie, running and tracking races in servers - a smaller team of developers is working on the whole thing.

Sam

Never forget, that all of us were payed for this game. That wasn't a donation, I have bought the license. If the S3 license wii released, I will pay for it again.

And who said the developement team should remain 3? Why don't they hire developers, to earn more money?

Don't misundersant me: I like this game, but compared to other online games, it's growing very slowly, so because this, they don't have huge subscription numbers, so less people is buying the sim, so they have less money.
#14 - SamH
Arial, we couldn't do what we do with LFS if it hadn't been for developments in LFS. Scawen has given the community the means to develop more and more comprehensive racing.. and he implemented pretty well every request that the community made, doing so. The X-System would not have been possible without direct help from Scawen, adding requested features to InSim.

The praise for the "development of LFS" that we do is nice but it's ill-placed.. we develop *within* LFS, and what anyone does with InSim pales by comparison with what Scawen has achieved, and continues to achieve, with LFS.

Sure, some things that we do with InSim might be better if they were integrated into LFS, and some of them have been already (and maybe some will in future, none of us know yet) but I don't feel like racing is being held back by the development speed of LFS.

I definitely understand your frustration with the *apparent* lack of speed in LFS's development, but I'm absolutely sure that Scawen is working full-time and very hard on development. Some of the recent additions (Asian language support etc) are irrelevent to me as a user, but I accept that these changes are essential for the sake of the future of the LFS master server (cash flow!). AA/AF are a bonus, but I'm absolutely dancing thanks to Test Patch Y21 (Y22) and the extra 25-35fps it brings.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG