The online racing simulator
the differential blocked
(49 posts, started )
I know ur point Dark Elite, but this is game. The aim is to build up the fastest set 4 yourself. Even if locked diff will be off in next patches i will try to make even faster set with the options i got and i guess that is normal.
U got normal tires and road super. Road super is better. U got locked and limited. Locked is better(in some cars). If u wanna be faster, u will chose better option. I'm right?
but locked diff ftw for drifting.
You're not going to get far on these forums - or indeed in LFS - if you call this a 'game'. It is not. LFS is a racing simulator, and there is a world of difference.

The fact that "ROAD_SUPER" tyres are grippier than "ROAD_NORMAL" is perfectly reasonable - because we can assume that the "SUPER" tyres are softer-compound. Thus they would be faster, and that's why they're more commonly used. This, though, is something that's not defined, we're not given enough detail to actually know the mechanical difference. So we can't argue.

With the diffs, on the other hand, we know exactly what the setting change is doing, and therefore we know when it's inaccurate. Thus, we know when we're exploiting a physics issue, and because this is a simulator and not a game, we use it realistically rather than just to be as fast as we possibly can on a temporarily flawed part of the physics engine.

Sam
Man i just wanna to say what i'm thinking in the easiest way, without getting into technical aspect. So u wud chose limited instead of locked dark?
And LFS is a driving simulator(as u said) game.
Nothing more 2 add.

Mr. Alias nr.1
None of my setups use a locked differential, because I aim for maximum realism. Which is also why I only use a force feedback 'wheel when using my S2 licence. I treat LFS as an alternative to real-life racing, whilst my budget does not permit real-life racing, as well as a training aid.

How many experienced, high-level LFS users agree that it is a 'game' as opposed to a simulator? Not sure why I'm asking, really, because I know the answer.

What I'm thinking, in the easiest, non-technical way, is that you don't understand the objective of the LFS developers and you do not understand the purpose of LFS. There you go.

Sam
I am guilty of using locked diffs, but only in some cars

Cars I use locked diffs: XFG, XRG, FXO, XFR, UFR, FXR (RB4, FZR and XRR sometimes)

Cars I always use LSD: XRT FZ5 RAC LX4 LX6 MRT FOX FBM FO8 BF1

So basically the RWD cars feel so horrible to drive with a locked diff that I use a clutch pack, with the exception of the GTRs and XRG.

The FWD and AWD cars on the other hand feel so much more stable on the brakes with locked diffs, and thats the main reason I use them. I consider braking to be one of my strongest points in my driving.
I rarely drive FWD cars (Except the UF1 which has open diff only) and I use LSD in all cars, mainly because my driving style relys on a lot of lift off oversteer and Locked diff does quite the opposite, so I am faster with LSD.

I support Dark Elite on this topic, LFS is a sim for me, and I try to make as close experince to real life as possible, hence why I use 720* rotation of wheel and H-shifter. It's not making me faster than I was using a cheap wheel (for now alteast), but it only makes much more proud when I leave racers who "don't use lfs" properly behind

One the side note, LSD is as fast and in some occasions even faster than locked diff, it just require a fine tunning...
the locked diffs should stay as they are used for drag racing which has a definite role in the game. Im not sure how realistic locked diffs are outside of that, even real life drifters don't use them. The only set I have that uses a locked diff is my rb4 drift set which has a locked front.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :...

Same here.

You pointed it right, it makes much more proud when I leave racers who "don't use lfs" properly behind....

Quote from 1303s_vortech :

You pointed it right, it makes much more proud when I leave racers who "don't use lfs" properly behind....

Mousers can say same when pwning "proper lfs users" with g25 behind
btw: winning is winning (clean&fair)
Quote from Smolar :...

You get a point there.
Scuse me to go a bit OT, but you dont cross these kind of mousers often.
Quote from Smolar :
Man i just wanna to say what i'm thinking in the easiest way, without getting into technical aspect. So u wud chose limited instead of locked dark?
And LFS is a driving simulator(as u said) game.
Nothing more 2 add.

Mr. Alias nr.1

As you say, LFS is a driving simulator, then it aims for maximum realism. Because it isn't finished yet, you still have problems with the physic engine. Even if using a locked diff isn't an exploit (because you don't benefit of a glitch of the physics engine), it is way unrealistic compared to happens in real life. Locked differentials are used mainly for drag racing, and I'm not able to find in my memories any other motorsport that uses them as a fundamental setup.

In real life, a LSD setupped car acheives better times than a locked diff. LFS is meant to be the racing experience closest to life. Then LFS has to do everything to make the differentials and the tires acheive results like in real life : WHBD (what has been demonstrated).

To get back to your point : "Use everything you have to be faster." . Then, why don't you take LFSTweak and put a 2.6L V6 turbo'ed in the XRT ? you'll for sure be faster... Even if your mentality is understable for casual games, you might have not grasped the essence of LFS : it isn't just about being faster, LFS is mostly meant to allow people to enjoy the fun of racing if they cannot afford it. I am not here to judge, but if you aim only for the results, being fast and first, then I am afraid you miss a great part of the Live For Speed experience.
Always no piece of news(short story) on the management of the differentials?

New inside, new cars, that of pat in the eye.

If the differentials are not redone, it is not any more a simulation but one games(sets) d ' arch.

David
Quote from David 09 :Always no piece of news(short story) on the management of the differentials?

New inside, new cars, that of pat in the eye.

If the differentials are not redone, it is not any more a simulation but one games(sets) d ' arch.

David

Well basically, the differentials aren't the main problem. The problem has got something to do with the tire grip model as I've heard. There is some lateral grip value that isn't the way it should be IRL, so it gives more grip when cornering, and with the locked diff, you can put your power down to the ground easier with this.
What I've found in LFS concerning the differentials is, it's a matter of driving style that ultimately decides diff tuning.

The drift setup I most commonly use with the XRT is in fact a clutch-type LSD. As with real life, when I drift I initiate with a weight-shift, side-brake, or clutch-kick, I don't need the inside-tire-overtorquing that occurs with a welded/locked diff to break traction.

With the grip setup I use with the XRT, it's a Viscous LSD. Combined with throttle-control, power-oversteer and corner-exit "twitchiness" is eliminated.

To the discussions'-end, until tire physics are more accurately modeled, the differential selection is merely an accentuation of driving style, and ultimately as useful as the tyre brand selection tool.
Hello,

Thank you Zen321 for your explanation. I agree with you but what interests me most it is that it rectifies this unrealistic behavior. But the problem it is because every time has I see that they make improvements which I find useless by leaving of quoted(esteemed) the behavior of the automobile, what is the most important for an automobile(automotive) simulation. I who thought that one bought a demo version to help them to finish a simulation and I have as.

Fwd has the bottom which leaves for a mere nothing
Locked diff is used IRL for racing, though not track racing but dragracing.
So it should NOT be removed since we want to dragrace with it !
i know i sound like a buzzkill but I can only imagine what the crashers will do with a truck
Quote from ajp71 :Locked diffs are completely useless in circuit racing, there are a very few isolated examples of people running them with limited success on older tires and poorer road surfaces.

lol locked diffs are usless??
why dose the entier V8 Supercar race serise cars use them with a live axel????

if done properly a locker can be fast its just unforgiving to heavy feet drivers

i race my car on the track with a locker and yes it is a handfull but i would never go back to a lsd again

oh and RL drifters dont use lockers they use 2way LSD's
Quote from MAD3.0LT :lol locked diffs are usless??
why dose the entier V8 Supercar race serise cars use them with a live axel????

if done properly a locker can be fast its just unforgiving to heavy feet drivers

i race my car on the track with a locker and yes it is a handfull but i would never go back to a lsd again

oh and RL drifters dont use lockers they use 2way LSD's

Isn't Detroit Locker (thats the thing used in V8s, right?) a bit diffirent to Welded diff (Locked diff in LFS)?
Yep. A detroit locker isn't always locked, but a locked diff is.
Quote from tristancliffe :I can't think of a car that is slower or harder to drive with it.

Let's think about the RAC ... and LX are just awful too

(I have to admitt the clutch pack is still worse for me )
V8 Supercars run a spool, inside a ford 9" housing.
So they are a fully locked diff.

So yes locked diffs are used in a competitive racing series.

However, as V8's also run a live rear axle, I'm pretty sure they run them like a kart and unload the inside rear wheel.
You will notice rear roll center is one of the most critical adjustments they make.

But yeah, they do it because its the rules, not because of benifits

Plus the legends race series in the states, Aussie Racing Cars, IROC cars in the states and also Indy Cars on Ovals run spools.

the differential blocked
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG