The online racing simulator
Dedicated Server Whitepapers?
(10 posts, started )
I was wondering if there was info on the Dedicated server like docs/insim.txt.
#2 - gru
what exactly do U need?
there is no special documentation for dedi, it uses same InSim as lfs.exe
running servers info can be collected with LFSW http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=14480
Quote from elmohellno :I was wondering if there was info on the Dedicated server like docs/insim.txt.

docs/Commands.txt contains the dedi commands as well as the regular ones, if that's what you're after. I'm not sure I'd consider anything in the LFS docs directory a whitepaper though
Well information on the different packets.
like most games the exchange of data is encrypted as a means to prevent cheating - at least I assume it is. However if you wish to get into communicating with your server (rather than writing alternate server/client binaries) then check out insim.txt in the lfs docs folder.
Quote from elmohellno :Well information on the different packets.

No documentation for the protocols (excluding InSim/OutSim/Outguage - which you can use for communicating with LFS and are relatively stable), I'm afraid (part of the reason is that this would allow Scawen to change it as he needs to, which is reasonable, I guess).

If you want the client <-> server protocol, you can find out quite a bit by packeting sniffing. How far you want to go is up to you though
I was working on a solution for the negative brake force thingy and mailed the devs about releasing (parts of) the packet structure, it's unlikely to happen.
Quote from Victor :we prefer people not posting information like multiplayer position packets on our forum. To have a lot of people know the format instantly may cause some people to get weird ideas.

I got parts of the position/status update packet by sniffing, but now that Scawen implemented the cheating protection, there's no need for my project.
I'll just rip the dedicated servers Packets list. Will take awhile to document.

It will probably be a month or 2 before everything is running XD.
Quote from elmohellno :I'll just rip the dedicated servers Packets list. Will take awhile to document.

It will probably be a month or 2 before everything is running XD.

You're free to use sniffed info yourself but don't share your findings with others if you want to keep your license
Quote from morpha :You're free to use sniffed info yourself but don't share your findings with others if you want to keep your license

I wont, at least not before speaking with the devs XD.

I just want a dedicated server that I can do more on. Insim has some limits.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG