The online racing simulator
#1 - richy
I got a wheel yesterday....
what a lovely welcoming thread topic, i hope you didnt cringe too much.

anyway its a Logitech DFP and i got my friend to buy one at the same time too! Hell be getting LFS asap i suppose.

ive never had a wheel before so its all new to me, and im having a few issues with it. ok here goes.

1) I have the wheel setup as 720 degrees in XP, and in LFS its set at 720 but when I drive the wheel loses its center position and I have to go to options and re-center it by clicking the "C" next to the wheel axis. does everyone have to do this regularly or am I doing something wrong?

2) Ok, I heard of some oscillation too, ive been getting some. in the FO8 at top gear on a straight if i take my hands off the wheel lightly, as if i were lightly holding the wheel of a car in one hand, its starts to oscillate. is that just because im not fighting the feedback (not holding wheel tightly enough) and its oscillating or is that a setup thing too?

3) Can I setup the other buttons on my wheel to perform other actions from in-game. I would like Start to do Shift R, and Select to do Escape key. and L2 and R2 for my indicators, is it possible to do that with LFS without being able to do it from options menu.

Thanks all!!
#2 - Vain
Please for god's sake never forget the apostrophe in "He'll..." .
Welcome to the real LFS-feeling. Go and get a H-gate shifter next.

Oh, and you can use the Thrustmaster software to bind your wheel-keys to keybord-keys, so you press a button on the wheel and LFS thinks a keyboard-key-combination was pressed.

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Also, you can assign commands to buttons, but only things like /restart. Currently you cannot bind Shift+R directly, although I hope that changes.

To do this:
Go into LFS options and find the Chat Message presets (under game or misc, can't remember).
Under the F1 to F8 listing is ctrl+F9 to ctrl+F12 - in these type the command, so shift r is /restart
Then in the controller options you can bind buttons on the wheel to ctrl+F9-F12.

Click to restart.

At the moment you can't add escape, control, shift etc to binds, so for that you'll have to use profiler software (I think you can) or other software. Didn't someone post a program recently that can help with this??
-
#4 - filur
Shift-r in profiler:
  • Click button of choice in list(s).
  • Select keystroke -> New keystroke.
  • Record
  • <press shift-r>
  • Stop
  • Ok
#5 - richy
having so many buttons at your fingertips is like a kid in a candy shop!

going to spend some time getting it setup through the profiler, that cycle idea is really good

ah tristan thats how some people can do "pass left" or "pass right" without spinning out by pressing Ctrl-F1 while at top speed lol

i shall just get used to holding the wheel firmly enough so that oscillating stops. its a bit like if you let go of a road cars steering wheel i suppose, it wouldnt always go straight sometimes it might start doing that, i havent really noticed it today so might just happen sometimes which i dont mind.

the calibration thing is strange it just happens sometimes, but it usually settles after i center the axis once or twice.

loving it though, single seaters are drivable at last, drifting is impossible but the racing is 10x better.

just a bit noisy!
I found that drifting is now impossible with my DFP too. I could drift endlessly around FE gold reverse when I was using my x360 gamepad and since getting my DFP I just can't go back to the pad, not even just for drifting, as I feel like a fake. If I can't do it with the wheel then I shouldn't do it at all :ashamed:
-
#7 - richy
ok i decided to put my view left and right on the paddle buttons. why? because if you press Left first then right button it will look backwards. and if i press right first and then the left button it will look backwards. but it will rotate that direction to get full view. on a D pad you cant do this as you cant press both at the same time. Does that make sense? If its clear enough I wish i could tell more people about this...........

anyway, im a little drunk (a lot to some people pfft) but my other button setups are as follows.

indicators on D pad are set like this:
left <
right>
hazardsV
Off^

Start is set to Shift R (via prolifer)

Select is set to Shift S (via profiler)

sec ill come back with any other stuff i set
-
#8 - richy
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yes, but...

The rear look function (as far as I can tell) looks over the shoulder of whichever direction you last looked. So if you look left, then behind, you get left shoulder, right then behind is right shoulder.

With this in mind I set this up:

< = Look left
|_ = Look left
\/ = Look behind
_| = Look right
> = Look right

I set up the diagonals too because my D-pad is a bit wobbly and I don't want to accidentally hit the diagonals and get no response. With this setup I can press left or right, then drag my thumb to down, and get the appropriate rear view.

how did you set that up, in game i cant get diagonals and i cant find any keystrokes that are for diagonal thats why i use the paddle buttons. when i use my d pad for views and use down to look back it doesnt do a left and right rear view version...
-
Also, in case you haven't noticed, with the Wingman profiler (I use it for DFP) you can assign a button as a shift command, so you essentially have twice the number of possible binds

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG