The online racing simulator
Reselling License?
(14 posts, closed, started )
Reselling License?
I saw a post in the RSC forums where someone was offering his LFS license for sale. Now, all the arguments about why someone would want to stop playing LFS aside, does the LFS license agreement allow you to do resell or transfer your license?
Quote from http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=agreement :
1. General

1.1 In order to unlock Live for Speed to get all its contents, your computer needs to be connected to the internet to unlock LFS S2 (and any later version).

1.2 You need to have checked if the LFS demo will connect to our master server(*) and allow for online play on your computer and location. If not, there is a very high chance you CANNOT unlock your S2 copy!

1.3 We can not accept any responsibility for any damage Live for Speed S2 or any future release may cause to your property or personal health.

1.4 You must be aware that we can alter any aspect of LFS as we see fit. Improvements, fixes and/or changes made to the game, are to be expected.
1.5 Extreme disruptive or offensive behaviour by a user, towards the developers or members of the community, may result in temporary or permanent suspension of the user's Live for Speed license.
(*)If you see a list of games when you click on "List of Games" inside LFS, that list has come from the master server. So that means you can connect to the master server.

2. Payment

2.1 Your payment will grant you the license to play the Live for Speed S1 or S2 release only, depending on the type of license purchased.

2.2 When paying by cheque, you must make sure you have filled in the correct amount. Cheques that have been made payable to us, that have a lower amount than required will not be cashed.

2.3 Payments larger than required will have the remainder on record, for future purchases. A personal status and history of payments is available on our website.

2.4 Payment remainders can not be refunded.

2.5 Credit card and PayPal payments can only be refunded whole, within 30 days after purchase and as long as no copy of S1 or S2 has been unlocked with the purchased license. Payments other than credit card or PayPal cannot be refunded.

2.6 Fraud warning : All fraudulent transactions using stolen credit card details are thoroughly investigated by the card issuer and banks. We are required to cooperate in supplying all relevant information to the bank in these cases, including user name, real name, address and any IP addresses used. Please note that the bank charges for these fraud investigations cost the LFS team £15 in each case and may result in legal proceedings against the fraudulent user.

3. Unlock Rules and Regulations

3.1 You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

3.2 You will initially be able to unlock LFS S2 or later versions 3 times. This allows you to unlock on two computers and keep one spare unlock.

3.3 We recognise that people may buy a new computer or reinstall their operating system from time to time. For this reason, we will automatically give you an extra spare unlock every first day of the month, up to a maximum of 2 spare unlocks available. The number of unlocks you have left can be found on your status page.

3.4 You must not give your username, WEB or GAME password to other LFS users.

4. Privacy statement

4.1 We will never sell or pass on any personal information you enter and save on our website, with the exception of point 2.6 of this agreement, or if we are required by law to give information to an authority.

4.2 We consider personal details to be all information you have provided during registration and all information visible on your account details, except username and country, which are made public on the statistics pages of LFS World.

Nothing really clear about selling the license in the agreement, but I think it will violate 3.4.
It said other LFS users, not some one who does not have LFS. You can sell it. But only to some one who does not allready own LFS. And if you don't know where they own LFS or not, don't ask.
Its not like LFS is expensive, for what it is i really think it's underpriced(devs dont read this).

Secondly what are u gonna charge the guy, less than what u paid?? Why then? Ure getting stuff all and also its not like ure LFS account depreciates in value over time.
And why would a buyer want to pay for a ID maybe banned from "all" servers? and how can a buyer be sure that the seller doesn't still have a version of LFS installed (or sell the license to more people at once)??
It's defenately not illegal whatever reads in the manuals&elsewhere because the law allows it. It's your property and you can do it (almost) whatever you want with it.

The thing is that, I guess, there is no way to remove your stats from LFSW or change the alias name. This means that in a way the license can be seen as a personality or a passport... Buying "used account" is in a way cheating (mmorpgs don't allow selling characters) though the system is quite different in LFS...

Chances are big that the seller continues to use his license even after selling it...
Quote from Hyperactive :Chances are big that the seller continues to use his license even after selling it...

The seller can't do that if the buyer changes the web and game passwords.
Edit : Ermm, maybe he can do that till he has to unlock his LFS again, I'm not sure, never tried to change my game password
At least he can use the full content offline...
Anyone can log into your account if they have the password. You just can't go online if you're on s2 while somone else is on with the same registered name.
well i think its not a problem for the buyer to change the passwords...
Even then, the seller is still able to play (online as well!), as long as he doesn't lock LfS again (or the buyer is playing)...
Quote from bbman :Even then, the seller is still able to play (online as well!), as long as he doesn't lock LfS again (or the buyer is playing)...

nope, if the buyer changes the game password, then the seller is only able to play offline...
I want to sell mine, only had it a few days and fed up with the cheating.
We don't support license re-sales.
This thread is closed

Reselling License?
(14 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG