The online racing simulator
Mouse vs Keyboard
(48 posts, started )
#26 - janm
Quote from Chaos :well i can imagine driving alone on the keyboard, but what i can't imagine is racing... how do you handle if someone hits your rear wheel or when you find yourself having to drive across curbs, etc. or you find yourself in any other unexpected situation, that requires quick and precise steering input?

I know it's not a prob with mouse/wheel, because you can steer as fast you manage, but with keyboard you are limited to what you have set in options...

Yes, you got a point there... A keyboard is not the best option in such cases. The keys sensitivity can't be set both for quick steering in situation of spinning or loosing the rear and for clean racing, smooth turning...Maybe a good setup is possible for the keyboard to be more ''allround'', but i'm not sure...
Quote from xgen :I am having a problem with the button reduction rate, I have it on the lowest setting possible and I still cant get a gradual start in the high power cars, does it make a difference if I use left or right click for throttle? I am using right for throttle and left for brakes, just like a real car, and still cant drive anything that has some power behind it without spinning out of control, the only way I can get most cars going is double clicking a bunch of time untill it speeds up.

This is very annoying and I cant enjoy all of the cars, I dont have the money for a FF wheel yet and this is all I have.

What I've found to help with this is to switch on the Throttle Help for most of the GTR's (except FXR) and the Single Seaters. The side effect of course is that off the line you can be stranded a bit, so you still need a few double-clicks thrown in there.
I've swapped. I'm using the mouse for the gear changes and the keyboard for dah power to wheely things and stoppinging of the shiny thing . . . And changed a few things in my settings, Analogue steer thing and button adjustment thing. And I reckon, once I get used to it, I have some kick arse times in that car of mine . . . It's taken at least 20-30m of my braking zone already and my steering is a lot freerer now I don't have to worry about the 'pedals' with the same hand. Still getting confused but that will sort it self out ofter some serious Muscle Memory retraining.

Thanks for the info guys. LFS has just reached another level . . . . Just when I think I've learned all there is to know . . . .
Interesting Funnybear. Like you I've been using the mouse to control throttle/brake and the k/b for gears, so I might try swapping it over.
It is taking ages to get used to . . really confusing, but the mouse feels so much free'er in the hand now whilst steering. I'm not fast yet but you know when something just feels like it has a lot of potential. . . . A bit of practice it'll soon come together.
Quote from Zero7 :What I've found to help with this is to switch on the Throttle Help for most of the GTR's (except FXR) and the Single Seaters.

Do you mouse/keyboard users use Throtthe / Brake Help in general? I just can't understand you can control GTR cars with just tapping the buttons and still drive fast times.
Not in general for me. The only reason I use it is to preserve tyres (especially on the XFR) and for starts. I can floor it at the start in the FOX, let it spin and then the throttle help kicks in (a bit like traction control I suppose) and helps prevent the car from skidding sideways. It's still very tricky on the V8 which is why if you look at my stats on LFSW you'll see I don't generally drive that one. For example, my FOX on SO Classic is 2 seconds off the WR, still someway to go, but good mousers can keep up with the pack.

One of the tricks I find with the GTR's is to use the engine to brake through the corner, then hit the gas just past the apex. Tapping the buttons generally comes in when you're on a long sweeping bend (Kyoto especially). I still get a buzz even with this control method, but I'm eyeing up the DFP as a treat
Quote from Funnybear :I've swapped. I'm using the mouse for the gear changes and the keyboard for dah power to wheely things and stoppinging of the shiny thing . . . And changed a few things in my settings, Analogue steer thing and button adjustment thing. And I reckon, once I get used to it, I have some kick arse times in that car of mine . . . It's taken at least 20-30m of my braking zone already and my steering is a lot freerer now I don't have to worry about the 'pedals' with the same hand. Still getting confused but that will sort it self out ofter some serious Muscle Memory retraining.

Thanks for the info guys. LFS has just reached another level . . . . Just when I think I've learned all there is to know . . . .

congratulations!
#34 - janm
Sorry for interrupting the disscussion...Just wanna know if this Analyze for speed programm is for licensed users only? I'm a demo racer and when i run the programm it says ''can not load a track for Blackwood''...
I've downloaded the meshes...And i've output the lap data for the laps desired(.raf files). Thanks for the reply.
Nah it works for demo users all the same, make sure you entered the correct LFS path in AFS:

Open AFS, under View>Preferences ensure you have the path to your actual LFS installation.
#36 - janm
don't have a ''Preferences'' option under ''View''...only zoom in, zoom out, move left, move right...No preference option anywhere in afs...
Nah. Couldn't get it together. Gone back to Mouse throttling and weighing the anchor. And managed to get the fastest AS. Nat. first sector times I've ever had. Couldn't keep it together for the chicane though, kept pressing the wrong buttons . . . . lol.

If I had used the k/b for the throttle from the start then I might be fast, but not now. Plus I have a free hand (Gear change hand) to do al sorts of K/B stuff (all the F functions as well as everything else). So i have reverted to what I was. Possible regressed in some opions, but I am faster than ever, once I stop pressing the wrong buttons.
oi!!!!!! change it back!! lol. if you had made it through the change over period you would have been set

its true my way is harder to do other things, but ive learnt to basically do everything except talk... no big problem
#39 - janm
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Nah it works for demo users all the same, make sure you entered the correct LFS path in AFS:

Open AFS, under View>Preferences ensure you have the path to your actual LFS installation.

Had an older version... It should work now, i guess...
Thanks.
Mouse all the way baby
As a beginner i know how difficult it is to get used to a mouse setup, its all twitchy, and each imput is too much. All you have todo is set it up correctly. Here are some things i did that ive always done since using mouse for gaming (mostly FPS's)

In Windows

Mouse Acceleration : I always disable this when playing games that require mouse input, it helps with precision in the long run.
Pointer Speed : I have mine 4 clicks from the last click, this is because my mouse pad is a bit rough, but i like the response it gives.
Enhanced Pointer Precision : I have this on, because my mouse and pad arent too great, and i feel it helps.

In Game

Steer centre reduction : At first its handy with a really twitchy mouse setup, but the lower the better IMHO.
Analogue steer smooth : This helped me alot, it just smooths out the action of turning, i keep mine around 40/45.

Here is a link to the mouse fix : http://koti.mbnet.fi/jaza/tomb4/XPMOUSEFIX.reg
If any of the moderators feel this link should be removed, then i totally agree.

This beats using keyboard! I got a 1.32.95 on my 5th day playing LFS using a mouse! You need a good set of controls before you get fast

Does anyone else use mouse1/2 for accel/brake? That must get so tedious after awhile.
what's this mouse fix?
It changes the smoothness of the mouse from Windows settings

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,40,\
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,\
05,00,00,00,00,00,a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00,38,33,15,00,00,00,00,00

Mouse fix removes the acceleartion that Windows adds to your movements.

NotAnIllusion is partly right, it does smooth it. But it just gives you a more precise imput. Each time you flick your mouse with it ON it will jump across the screen, to make up for the small input. With it OFF it will only move as far as you make it move and not an accelerated guess

That's as best as i can explain it. You'd need to test it for yourself!
I'm not a mouse driver but acceleration is pain in the ass on FPS games. I got mine away with "MouseWare Advanced" program.

download: http://www.logitech.com/index. ... 34,OSID=1,softwareid=6819

Of course this works only if you are using Logitech mouse and Logitech's MouseWare drivers (I don't know if the SetPoint drivers has this same issue).
I started using Analogue steer smoothing, but I just couldn't get it tigether. I've taken it back off again and I'm faster than before . . .
Funnybear, its probably because you're already so used to racing without it that it feels awkward, it helps for me, i used it alot when i was racing with the XR Turbo, would soften the mad amount of counter-steer i had to put in.

Each to their own or whatever that saying is
well i leave acceleration on, also i believe my dead zone is at .8, quite large. it probably isnt vital - just whatever setting you choose, stick with them. i certainly dont feel impaired, i know exactly where the mouse needs to go
Yep, each to their own. I like trying things out to see if they work or not, but if they don't no biggy.

Mouse vs Keyboard
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG