The online racing simulator
Question about bumpy tracks.
(12 posts, started )
I noticed when running with harder suspension setups that my car was bumping a lot on track, but my question is, are those little bumps generated randomly, or there are already specific points where they occur?

ps: i found nothing about this with the search...
they are specific and the same every lap lol
The track is made like that it's not rocks that fly under your car
Quote from evilpimp :they are specific and the same every lap lol
The track is made like that it's not rocks that fly under your car

It's not that silly a question, I assume he's referring to how the game engine produces the bumps. Other games, like rFactor define areas where the track is more or less bumpy and the engine just randomly 'bumps' the car as you pass over those areas - the actual movements won't be in exactly the same place twice in a row as it doesn't define a single point for each seperate bump.

AFAIK, LFS has specific points defined which have a bump and so they should be in the same place from lap-to-lap.
#4 - Ian.H
Quote from Crashgate3 :It's not that silly a question, I assume he's referring to how the game engine produces the bumps. Other games, like rFactor define areas where the track is more or less bumpy and the engine just randomly 'bumps' the car as you pass over those areas - the actual movements won't be in exactly the same place twice in a row as it doesn't define a single point for each seperate bump.

AFAIK, LFS has specific points defined which have a bump and so they should be in the same place from lap-to-lap.

Umm.. wrong

While you can use the simple sine(?) generated data effects (which still act the same at the same point, each lap), you can also model bumps specifically, within inches of where you like, that will remain constant for as long as you drive the track.

LFS' tracks however, are pretty much like a baby's arse and I think the only "intentional" bumps are from where Eric was having a good evening (read: on the sauce).

Most track bumps in LFS are down to bad track building where polys don't quite meet each other

Regards,

Ian
Quote from evilpimp :The track is made like that it's not rocks that fly under your car

But the curbs in Fern Bay are quite similar to rocks...
Quote from Crashgate3 :I assume he's referring to how the game engine produces the bumps.

yes, that's exactly what i meant
Quote from Ian.H :Umm.. wrong

While you can use the simple sine(?) generated data effects (which still act the same at the same point, each lap), you can also model bumps specifically, within inches of where you like, that will remain constant for as long as you drive the track.

LFS' tracks however, are pretty much like a baby's arse and I think the only "intentional" bumps are from where Eric was having a good evening (read: on the sauce).

Most track bumps in LFS are down to bad track building where polys don't quite meet each other

Regards,

Ian

I find that hard to believe myself. LFS doesn't have a lot of bumps, but the ones that are there are intentional, unless you can give 100% definite proof. Showing me where graphics don't quite match up won't do it for me, sorry, the graphic could be separate from the actual track running on, I have seen screen shots of that, especially on curbs.

A side note: If your car is having problems on the bumps lower your spring rates and especially your shock rates to get the car to float over the bumps better, doubly so if the bumps are in a brakezone. You may have adjust your ride height as well.
I've not seen any sim where a track drives like it's as bumpy as - say - the old Interlagos. South City is bumpy in places, but a few more bumps would be nice. Not every race track is snooker table smooth, and if that was the case racing would be more boring.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :

A side note: If your car is having problems on the bumps lower your spring rates and especially your shock rates to get the car to float over the bumps better, doubly so if the bumps are in a brakezone. You may have adjust your ride height as well.

thanks, but i already know how to setup the car. my question here is how are the bumps generated...
I remember saying that LFS needs more bumps on the roads, but after playing on Aston with a real force-feedback wheel, I changed my mind.
LFS already has a lot of bumps, but the FF rarely picks up on them. Just drive a lap in chase view with forces turned on and see how the load arrows jump all over the place. For comparison, drive a bit around the autocross area, which really has a silky smooth surface.

Keep in mind that the contact/collision mesh in LFS is completely separate from what is shown graphically, since it would put far too much strain on the GFX card to render all those bumps. This is most notable on kerbs and grass, where you'll see the wheel go up and down while the surface is actually rendered flat.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG