The online racing simulator
LFS works on Linux/Wine!
(39 posts, started )
Quote from MadCatX :FFB will never work under Linux unless you have proper driver for your wheel/joystick/whatever.

Force feedback works in linux for most of the wheels available, see libff page. The supported devices list is far from complete, the complete list is in the kernel documentation and kernel sources :-). For example the svn version of native linux game Vdrift (it's better than the name :-)) works with my wheel (WFF GP) with force feedback -- a little hack to the kernel is needed for WFF GP.

The problem is in the Wine, I think. I compiled my own version of wine-0.9.30, with that the LFS successfully detected my wheel as force feedback device. But I simply added some "fake" code, that doesn't do anything, so no forces were generated. There are missing/incomplete implementation of some directx force feedback functions in the wine. On the other hand, the windows version of BZFlag game generates some forces in my linux when it's run by wine.
Checked out that site, and it is exactly what I've said. Fflib seems to me like a driver(though it is built in kernel) which is able to communicate with certain FF devices and make them creating FF forces.

Now it is up to wine devs whether they will implement working FF...
Quote from MadCatX :Checked out that site, and it is exactly what I've said. Fflib seems to me like a driver(though it is built in kernel) which is able to communicate with certain FF devices and make them creating FF forces.

FFlib is not a driver. The drivers are in the kernel, I agree with you, that "proper" driver is necessary to communicate with FF devices. FFlib is a concept of library, that simplifies programming force feedback effects. FFlib is on a higher level than kernel driver. There is another similar approach in the popular SDL library, still under development tough. Things are getting better.
Quote from MadCatX :
Now it is up to wine devs whether they will implement working FF...

Most of the FF code in wine was created during google's "summer of code" 2005, so it's pretty old. Every one can be wine developer, it's up to us ;-), because I suspect, that most of the wine devs don't play games with force feedback wheel...
#29 - ekze
Any news?
news about what?
LFS works just fine with wine, 100 fps with windows, 60-70 with wine.
no graphic problems, shadows didnt work last time i tried (not enough HD space to try it atm...).
#31 - ekze
I know that it's working fine... I mean FFB.
Is there any way to turn it on in LFS?
#32 - ekze
changing colors
Is there any way to change colors in nickname (or anywhere else) ? Clicking on colors below doesn't seem to work... neither clicking on code pages selection
Using ubuntu 8.04 and wine 0.9.59. Everything else needed works surprisingly well, but I got used to have colors.
It works for me, Ubuntu 8.04, wine-1.0-rc1. Wine used to have problems with modifier keys (alt, ctrl, shift) when specific keyboard layout switching was used. If you use more keyboard layouts, try disable all of them but english. Or try to change switching method (e.g. alt+shift instead both shifts....).
I changed from alt+alt (default) to alt+shift, and added US layout. Switch works ok, but that has nothing to do with changing colors in LFS. Problem is that when clicking on color or code page button, nothing happens.
Attached images
Screenshot-Live for Speed.jpg
I found ugly solution that works for nickname by editing Ply Name line in cfg.txt file.
Try to upgrade wine to the latest version. For me, the color buttons don't appear until I pres Ctrl. For me everything works, clicking codepage, symbol table, color buttons. Also I can change color by pressing Ctrl-<number>.
sorry for the bump, but any updates on wine+FFB? that bug hasn't moved in a while... i'm using a g25 with wine 1.0-rc4, but will gladly downgrade if it works.

i tried fftest earlier, but got something similar to this:
Quote :# fftest /dev/input/event2
Force feedback test program.
HOLD FIRMLY YOUR WHEEL OR JOYSTICK TO PREVENT DAMAGES

Device /dev/input/event2 opened
Axes query:
Effects: Constant Periodic Spring Friction
Number of simultaneous effects: 0
Upload effects[0]: Function not implemented
Upload effects[1]: Function not implemented
Upload effects[2]: Function not implemented
Upload effects[3]: Function not implemented
Upload effects[4]: Function not implemented
Upload effects[5]: Function not implemented
Enter effect number, -1 to exit

not sure if that means i won't have FFB, or if the program just can't read the wheel... the wheel auto-centers, but i don't get anything else out of it, tactile-wise.

cheers
G25 doesn't have FF support in the Linux kernel yet (thus it can't work in wine). AFAIK the support for G25 is under development.

LFS works on Linux/Wine!
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG