The online racing simulator
Set air temp and track temp, and report them when joining the server.
I searched and didn't find this suggested already. It seems fairly obvious, so I probably just missed it in the search somehow.

I would like to see server specified track and air temperatures. After watching some racing at places like Phoenix and southern California, the temperature of the track can have huge effects on how long tires last and how hard the drivers can push. I think this would add a lot to the sim as people could not simply throw on S2s and push 100% lap after lap. We would likely see more people choosing the harder compounds or, at least, choosing softer compounds but pitting more often or taking it easy once they get greasy.

Changing ambient air temp would come into play later, once engine damage is modeled as the hotter air would make it easier for the engine to overheat, especially in the draft. Also, it would have an effect on the power output of the cars and could help to even things up between the turbo and N/A cars.

It would be nice if, upon connecting to a server, you were told the track, layout, direction, wind speed, air temp, ambient temp, and number of laps. There's already an InSim app (RaceManager) that can give some of this info, but it would be nice if it were added to the game itself like the message of the day recently was.
I would like the last bit (server details, track, car, laps, wind speed etc etc) to be available to see in the garage (i.e. another tab on the setup screen, or a big button called 'Info' in the top left.

But +1 eventually. For now I think we need to concentrate on getting the tyres working properly at fixed temps (we're close), and removing exploits as much as possible (like massive negative cambers) somehow. If we have different track temps then people will just come up with an unrealistic way of bypassing it in the setups I reckon.

Air temps +1 too, but I think this effect is pretty small except in the highest of highly tuned engines.
Quote from tristancliffe :I would like the last bit (server details, track, car, laps, wind speed etc etc) to be available to see in the garage (i.e. another tab on the setup screen, or a big button called 'Info' in the top left.

That sounds good to me! That's even better than my suggestion since it would be available at any time, not just when joining the server.

Quote :But +1 eventually. For now I think we need to concentrate on getting the tyres working properly at fixed temps (we're close), and removing exploits as much as possible (like massive negative cambers) somehow. If we have different track temps then people will just come up with an unrealistic way of bypassing it in the setups I reckon.

Agreed, but I do think that track temps would still have an effect now. It just seems to me that the track is always fairly cool because people can do some really, really crazy driving without ever overheating their tires. You'd never be able to get away with that outside of a fall day in Western Europe. Perhaps the next update we could get more limited setups AND track temps?

Quote :Air temps +1 too, but I think this effect is pretty small except in the highest of highly tuned engines.

For power, possibly. For overheating, I disagree. Even a stock engine will start running hot on a 100*F day with no air getting to the radiator. I realize that engine heat, power loss, and breakdowns aren't modeled now, but I figure if they're gonna put in track temp, they might as well do air temp at the same time since they're so inter-related. I also wonder if air density is modeled. Turbo cars continue to run well even at high altitudes while N/A cars suffer. But when the air gets hot N/A cars often have the upper hand while turbo cars run hot and can lose power. This could be one more factor in the whole "balancing of cars" issue that may be able to give the variations people seem to be looking for.
If they implement rain into S2 final or S3 wouldn't track temps be a natural thought. Tarmac wont be 100'C when its pissing it down.
+1

with an addition; Tire Blistering on slicks.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Turbo cars continue to run well even at high altitudes while N/A cars suffer. But when the air gets hot N/A cars often have the upper hand while turbo cars run hot and can lose power. This could be one more factor in the whole "balancing of cars" issue that may be able to give the variations people seem to be looking for.

Its also depending if you have an intercooler turbo (most turbo have intercooler)'.

In reallife there is also the problem for the driver of high temps inside the car (F1, DTM, WRC) because these produce very high temps.

Then you could also implemend the effect of brakediscs that catch fire in case of a sudden stop of the race of (for example) a F1 car. When the car has no extra lap after a race to cool down the car, or when a pit-stop takes too much time)
Quote from liveforspeedskins.tk :Then you could also implemend the effect of brakediscs that catch fire in case of a sudden stop of the race of (for example) a F1 car. When the car has no extra lap after a race to cool down the car, or when a pit-stop takes too much time)

lol remember le mans a few years ago? that ferrari that its brake disks caught on fire
+1 and a bump from me

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG