The online racing simulator
Built in VOIP?
(10 posts, started )
#1 - vane
Built in VOIP?
I was thinking that would it not be a good idea to maybe have a built in VOIP (voice over IP) system built into lfs? so you dont need to host a ventrilo server or a teamspeak server and you are always on the right channel? please give your opinions!
I know some people may just say use vent or stuff but then you have to discover the ip address the host is being hosted on then type it in.
#2 - garph
It's been suggested a few times and the same reasons remain.

There would be annoying muppets, abusive muppets after incidents, plus some people don't like too much typing let a lot hearing other people talking and causing a distraction. Then you have the spectators talking away while some people are trying to race, you could have a mute but then what’s the point of the in game voip.

There’s also the extra bandwidth strain it would put on the servers and the master server, that’s why TS or the other one are so good, they don't use the racing server or master server.

3rd party software just does the job better for loads of reasons.
To be able to provide decent voice quality the VoIP part of the game will have to have priority over processing. This can only lead to a detriment in performance of the core physics processing. The physics processing is only going to get more CPU intensive as the game develops, so yet another real time processing element to the client will only make on line gaming worse.

On top of which how would it actully be implimented? P2P or through the LFS server? I would imagine it would have to go through the particular server that you're racing on. There would be a not insignificant impact on server resources use if there was voice packets flying between all the different players back and forth between the clients and the servers.

Then there is the issue of all the rubbish that people will use it for as already stated.

All in all, a bad idea.
#4 - Woz
yay. Smack talking retards and no way to shut them off. No thanks
#5 - vane
what would stop spectators rabbiting on on any other program? and surely it would only use up as much cpu power as a copy of vent being open anyway?
#6 - Woz
Quote from vane :what would stop spectators rabbiting on on any other program? and surely it would only use up as much cpu power as a copy of vent being open anyway?

Thats fine but those people talking in another app do not effect me or my bandwidth requirements. If people want to chat while driving then run up a voip or team chat app in background.

LFS is at its core a race sim, not a chat room.
#7 - garph
Quote from vane :what would stop spectators rabbiting on on any other program? and surely it would only use up as much cpu power as a copy of vent being open anyway?

If you want to talk or don't mind the talk then you use teamspeak, if you don't want to talk or listen to others talk then you don't use teampeak. If the game has built in voice comms then you don't have a choice, but none of that is the real big point which is the bandwidth cost to all the users, servers and master server.

In game comms is just pointless when all the bad things about it can be simply cut out and all the positives about voice comms can be added by just using something like teamspeak.
The thing about VOIP is it really only works well for team games. I've seen the issues that occur during Forza 2 - you either get everyone talking so that it's distracting, or everyone is concentrating too much and nobody speaks at all.

For LFS team events with multiple drivers, everyone would hear them talking. On top of being irritating, this would give away any pit strategies.

I'm normally a supporter of voice chatting in games, but in this case I don't think it would be all that useful.
Quote from Dajmin :The thing about VOIP is it really only works well for team games. I've seen the issues that occur during Forza 2 - you either get everyone talking so that it's distracting, or everyone is concentrating too much and nobody speaks at all.

For LFS team events with multiple drivers, everyone would hear them talking. On top of being irritating, this would give away any pit strategies.

I'm normally a supporter of voice chatting in games, but in this case I don't think it would be all that useful.

Strange, in counter-strike very very long ago, they already implemented voice chatting for own team only.

Something simular can be done in lfs. Default, you hear nobody(everbody is muted) unless you allow someone to talk to you.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Strange, in counter-strike very very long ago, they already implemented voice chatting for own team only.

Something simular can be done in lfs. Default, you hear nobody(everbody is muted) unless you allow someone to talk to you.

+1

Maybe even an extra button in the connections list so you click to allow them to talk to you and they have to do the same

Built in VOIP?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG