The online racing simulator
G25 woes!!
(43 posts, started )
G25 woes!!
Just before Christmas I purchased a G25, sadly it was DOA and had to be replaced. Didn't get it til' Jan so that was a bummer. Now, May, my 'gearbox has failed', i.e. H shifter, when you put it in 2nd it drops into 6th then 5th then neutral, it's all over the place. So this one as gone back as well.

Have I just been unlucky or has anyone else had problems?

BTW It hasn't been subjected to rough treatment, I cherish it.
I think the shifter is the most fragile part, and apparently many people have had problems with them. But I thought Logitech had made some improvements since the G25 was first released to the market? I don't know. Mine works fine still.
I have used to change the shifts like I do in real life: With switft force. It is still working (However, the shaft is "wabbling" around loosely).
i have it for over a year,and my reverse is gone,sometimes wont take the gear,and misshiftes... but still its the best wheel ever
Quote from LFSn00b :I happen to have this same problem, unluckily my dad believes G25 has no warranty and is not going to send it back there

Where did you bought it? Sorry, these next sentences are in finnish, because can't think of the english words right now.

Suomen lain mukaan kaikilla tuotteilla on puolen vuoden valmistevirhe-vastuu, mikä on vähintään kuusi kuukautta. Mikäli tuote oikeinkäytettynä hajoaa tämän ajan sisällä, tulee yrityksen mistä se on ostettu korjata se. Mikäli korjaaminen ei onnistu järkevässä ajassa, tulee tuote vaihtaa vastaavaan. Mikäli vastaavaa ei ole tarjolla, voidaan kauppa purkaa tai vaihtaa vastaavaan tuotteeseen.
#6 - Jakg
The shifter isn't built well, but I think it's simply because the person who designed it never used a car gearbox and expected it to be used like a PC Peripheral, not like a real gear stick.

Mine went all crappy on me - I took it apart and found a small black "ring" which I could find no use for - took it out and it works 110% now.
Quote from Jakg :The shifter isn't built well, but I think it's simply because the person who designed it never used a car gearbox and expected it to be used like a PC Peripheral, not like a real gear stick.

Mine went all crappy on me - I took it apart and found a small black "ring" which I could find no use for - took it out and it works 110% now.

Thanks, I must remember this one for when it is out of warranty.
Yes I get worried about the shifter, I have got used to it now and started using it like a PC controller.

When any of my friends come round though its a cringe to watch them smash it about like a real one, not that its thier fault, it should have been designed to be fairly stiff.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has done some simple self-modding to the gearbox to make if feel more real and endure more.

That really is the only dissapointment with the G25 for me, the lightness (not to say flimsy though) of the H-shifter.
Quote from Jakg :Mine went all crappy on me - I took it apart and found a small black "ring" which I could find no use for - took it out and it works 110% now.

That ring should be inside the top of the leather, where it acts as a guide to make the leather slide up and down nicely. Mine got loose too, blocking the shift mechanism and making it all weird, though I reattached it to the leather instead of removing it. Works either way as it's thankfully a non-critical part
Quote from Jakg :The shifter isn't built well, but I think it's simply because the person who designed it never used a car gearbox and expected it to be used like a PC Peripheral, not like a real gear stick.

Do you have any pictures or anything? I'd like to see the difference. My G25 isn't out of warranty yet though.
#11 - Jakg
Mines not out of warranty either but it's such a tiny thing to do you wouldn't notice :P
how do you do it? unscrew the things at the base of the shifter and its under there?
#13 - Jakg
Take off the top of the shifter (pop off the little plastic bit, undo the screws), then take off the silver bolts around the edge of the leather gate, and pull on the leather.
I have a problem, with the pedals, sometimes when in a straight it brakes by itself like 5% in half a second, the same with the clutch.
Any help? Do i need to open the pedals? (That's the reason i bought the G25, so i didnt need to clean the pedals)
Quote from chanoman315 :I have a problem, with the pedals, sometimes when in a straight it brakes by itself like 5% in half a second, the same with the clutch.
Any help? Do i need to open the pedals? (That's the reason i bought the G25, so i didnt need to clean the pedals)

The same happens to me, but its not a G25 maybe an LFS bug or something? (Mine is a Logitech Nascar wheel), I almost broke the pedals the other day, I was really pissed off that I couldnt go full throttle and smashed the pedals lol.
No problems with my G25 yet. The shifter is a little flimsy like people say but just treat it carefully and use it softly and should hopefully last. I'm worried that something will break just after the warranty expires. . .

Quote from spacedskunk :
I am just wondering if anyone out there has done some simple self-modding to the gearbox to make if feel more real and endure more.

Have a look here: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=299371
I used maybe too much force yesterday, thanks to the adrenaline in my blood system. It is shaking even more and has almost no resistance.

Oh well, doesn't matter. Planned to build my own shifter in the future anyway.
I've had mine for 6 months or so and the paddles are becoming a little unpredictable when driving the SS cars Missing crucial downshifts into braking/corner areas doesn't help too much......

The H shifter is fine so far, touch wood!

ps - I believe the G25 comes with a 2 yr warranty tho, so use it to destruction and get another one free
Quote from HVS5b :...so use it to destruction and get another one free

Err... No.

Will you also get a new one if you throw it out of the window or put it into railways and train smashes it? There is fine line between "It broke when I used it" and "Malicious and/or wrong usage". It is not meant to take hard beating. It is a controller, not a real thing.
Quote from Gekkibi :Err... No.

Will you also get a new one if you throw it out of the window or put it into railways and train smashes it? There is fine line between "It broke when I used it" and "Malicious and/or wrong usage". It is not meant to take hard beating. It is a controller, not a real thing.

Oh ffs, I hope you were trying to be funny..........
Quote from HVS5b :Oh ffs, I hope you were trying to be funny..........

Nope, not with this matter. Just wanted to clear things out so no one would get dissapointed when they don't get a new one if they breaks it. Sure, if the reverse breaks when you use the controller "normally", the warranty will stand, but if you tear the shifter-lever from the controller, I doubt they will fix/replace it.

Like I said: It is just a controller. It wasn't meant to take hard beatings (Unfortunately). Same thing with other things: If you put light bulbs to a microwave and want to have fun and it explodes right to your face, it is not because the product was faulty. It is "wrong usage of the object".
Sounds like "use to destruction" has been lost in translation in that case.

Perhaps I should clarify that said instrument should only be used for the purposes for which it was designed

Should you decide to use it as a football or perhaps mistake it for a a cake and eat part of it, then yes you will be unlikely to be able to claim back a new one from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, if you just use the d*mn thing in line with it's fitness for purpose and then if it breaks within 2 yrs you can claim a new one under warranty.

Simple, no?

Not that simple. There are many ways of usage. If you over-rev your engine in a car and gets broken, the warranty won't cover it up, because even you used it properly (Driving, that is), you "used too much force".
Quote from Gekkibi :Not that simple. There are many ways of usage. If you over-rev your engine in a car and gets broken, the warranty won't cover it up, because even you used it properly (Driving, that is), you "used too much force".

It has to be designed and constructed as "fit for purpose" with regard to the useage it is recommended for.

Treat it like a piece of sh!t (rip out gear levers, kick it around the room after another T1 incident..... ) then fair enough if they KB your claim, if it fails thru normal wear n tear or a faulty part then claim and expect a fresh one.

I fear this thread is being overcome by pedantry, so I trust we can agree that it is a steering wheel, not a bottle-nosed dolphin, and should therfore be treated as such. Even if it is to destruction................. lol
Agreed. Back to the subject.
<Emptiness>

G25 woes!!
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG