The online racing simulator
Lost connection immediately after race
Hi guys, please could someone help. i get disconnected after every single race i have... i get an error saying "lost connection" after every race. i can immediately rejoin, it is rather frustrating.
Can anyone help?

thanks
Quote from Dizzydarryn :Hi guys, please could someone help. i get disconnected after every single race i have... i get an error saying "lost connection" after every race. i can immediately rejoin, it is rather frustrating.
Can anyone help?

thanks

Some form of internet disconnection. Do you use WLAN?
#3 - J@tko
Its basically due to you being far from the server (Servers in Britain - you in SA) at the end of the race, the server tries to send you large amounts of data (the $results and updated $grid and $ctra) and that makes you lag so much, due to the data transfer, that you get timed out. Try making sure that their are no other internet applications open at the same time to minimize this.
Happens to me as well, about every 2nd to 3rd race. It was all fine a week ago iirc. It just gets a bit frustrating having to rejoin and start in the midfield just to get crashed.
#5 - SamH
Quote from J@tko :Its basically due to you being far from the server (Servers in Britain - you in SA) at the end of the race, the server tries to send you large amounts of data (the $results and updated $grid and $ctra) and that makes you lag so much, due to the data transfer, that you get timed out. Try making sure that their are no other internet applications open at the same time to minimize this.

10 points! Well done!

DizzyDarryn, I've set your preferences manually to delay the results at the end of the race. This should solve the problem. Go to $prefs in a server to see what changes I made.

To see race results after a race, you will have to manually go to $results (maybe create a hotkey in LFS for it?), but you shouldn't get kicked any more at least
#6 - J@tko
Quote from SamH :10 points! Well done!

Woohooo! I didn't fail at something

I think I read that in a thread somewhere not so long ago.

Also, @ Dizzy, it will probably happen more on fuller servers due to there being more lag anyway and also more results to come through.

And use the suggestion SamH said
Quote from SamH :10 points! Well done!

DizzyDarryn, I've set your preferences manually to delay the results at the end of the race. This should solve the problem. Go to $prefs in a server to see what changes I made.

To see race results after a race, you will have to manually go to $results (maybe create a hotkey in LFS for it?), but you shouldn't get kicked any more at least

Brilliant, thanks for that! im too clueless to do things like that on my own... only been playing for a couple days. Do you know of any SA servers btw?

this is a real stupid one, but how do i create hot keys... are those the CTRL +...??
Quote from Dizzydarryn :this is a real stupid one, but how do i create hot keys... are those the CTRL +...??

Options -> Game -> Edit AI names / F-keys
thanks!
hi guys, sorry to bug again, all of a sudden tonight ium getting kicked out of almost every single game. think ive only finished 2 tonight. is it cause im so far away from the actual servers?
Quote from Dizzydarryn :hi guys, sorry to bug again, all of a sudden tonight ium getting kicked out of almost every single game. think ive only finished 2 tonight. is it cause im so far away from the actual servers?

1) You tried to mid-race joining too many times (It spectates you if mid-race joining isn't allowed)
2) You were not driving fast enough (In one lap)
Quote from J@tko :Its basically due to you being far from the server (Servers in Britain - you in SA) at the end of the race, the server tries to send you large amounts of data (the $results and updated $grid and $ctra) and that makes you lag so much, due to the data transfer, that you get timed out. Try making sure that their are no other internet applications open at the same time to minimize this.

OMFG!!!11

Surely you didn't know all that off the top of your head .

*cough* Wikipedia / The angry angel? =D
Quote from Gekkibi :1) You tried to mid-race joining too many times (It spectates you if mid-race joining isn't allowed)
2) You were not driving fast enough (In one lap)

no, its not kicking me, it says "lost connection"...

it starts lagging and then all of a sudden it gives me that?!?
  • How fast is your connection?
  • How many people were there on server?
hmmm, server wasnt very busy hey. probably between 6 and 10 other drivers. Ive got an ADSL line (384).

Just thought of something. if my brother or someone else in the house (home network) was surfing the net, surely that wouldve made an impact.

Would upgrading to 512 help?? (obviously i assume)
Probably it would help you. Also, convince others not to use internet while you are playing.
Quote from Gekkibi :Also, convince others not to use internet while you are playing.

LOL, i was spitting mad last night... Im a super newbie, but i won my first race last night. I think my next 2 games i was disconnected. lying second and then lying third (all over second place) with about 3 or 4 laps to go. I lost 2 potential podiums so u can just imagine
Quote from Dizzydarryn :LOL, i was spitting mad last night... Im a super newbie, but i won my first race last night. I think my next 2 games i was disconnected. lying second and then lying third (all over second place) with about 3 or 4 laps to go. I lost 2 potential podiums so u can just imagine

I know the feeling.

I hope you can sort your connection problems as soon as possible.
yup, me to, im busying enquiring as to the costs to upgrade my line so hopefully i can get it sorted soon. do you ever play CTRA race 1
Only around 5-8 UTC when there is less than 10 racers. I don't like too populated starts.
#21 - SamH
If someone else on your network (your brother or someone) is using the internet heavily while you're trying to race, it will affect your racing. If they (or you) have bittorrents open, for example, you can definitely expect network speed loss and disruption.
As Sam said, when I have internet connection problems and dicso's I usually turn of the WLAN in order to avoid my sister from downloading things. It is very helpful (I'm on a cable, ADSL 1024mbps).
#23 - aoun
Ive read the posts and understand everything, but is there any sort of setting in lfs or ctra or anything at all to stop my connection from cutting me out when the weather changes? My connection is fine with track change and new races, but as soon as weather changes, i time out.

If not, thanks anyway
It's actually your computer not being able to keep up with the Network packets, along with loading the track stuffs. (Atleast, that's what I've gathered from when it happens.)
#25 - SamH
It happens to me these days, too Once upon a time it was just Shaun/CELTIC, but after the first major test patch after X, it began happening to me. There were no changes in the X-System at that time, and actually there is no InSim data being sent at the time that the disconnections happen.

I don't have enough information to give Scawen in order to form a bug report out of it, though.. we know it's not right, but we're clueless about the precise cause.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG