The online racing simulator
Is it worth joining a team?
(62 posts, started )
What are the advantages of joining a team? Especially for someone as inexperienced as I am? Are they helpful in learning the sim or is it more just a group of people to race with? Being in the US, it seems most teams are in Europe, are there any US teams?

I'm trying to learn and get the most out of LFS and am basically wondering if joining a team would help me in that quest.
Tones of US teams, Go to LFS world and take a look at this listings! - Being in a team is great for learning the sim, but of course, it depends on the team, what kind of team they are and what their processes are with new members etc.

For me, my team is like a family, they are all very friendly and always wanting and willing to help out, improve my laptimes and racecraft. I dont think you will find many who will say being in a team is a bad thing.. Of course there will be some, but those who dont have their reasons.

Good Luck
For a beginner? No, absolutely not. The last thing you want to be in is a team in your first year... There is too much to learn about speed, handling, racecraft, consistency etc, and all of these things are best learnt by driving. Lots. Only when you win regularly on pick up servers, even when starting near the back, and can pass/defend against anyone without making contact, even by accident, should you think about joining a team.

Then you have to choose a team - if this is the case, don't bother. Wait for a team to want you - you will be in a better team, with better drivers. Over 99% of LFS teams are rubbish, with no aims, rubbish drivers, and no results.

What can a team offer you? Support in leagues, mainly. Yes there is the social side of things, but that can be had via forums, MSN and real life visits. You don't need three letters in front of a name to be a friend.

The big question is - what can YOU offer a team? Can you arrange and run a league? Run a website (properly, not a crappy free one)? Can you make software that will aid the team? Are you gifted at sorting race strategies or managing a driver(s) in a competative league??

Chances are you won't get quicker in a team, you won't make any new real friends, you won't get glory, money, or generally better. It just means you have to do leagues (otherwise what is the point of a team?), and wear the team skins, and dedicate time to helping the team in whatever way you arrange.

If it's just a 'friendly team', solely for people to chat, and race with known people then isn't that a bit pointless? How is the racing or the chat improved with three letters in front of your racername?

I was in three teams. The first was formed by Will Dendy, and it was him, Kirves and myself. Will spent ages pursauding me to join, and I was already a quick driver by then. That was then taken over by vMax, run by James Burgess. I was happy there for several years, and did various leagues for the team, and assisted in running the team later in my time. We were never a top team in LFS, mainly because we had no direction - I believe they were better in NASCAR. But then Triple7Racing came a knocking, and it was too good an opportunity to miss. It started well, and I tried entering leagues, but real life was taking up too much time. I tried to stay, hoping that I would get the chance to race in T7R colours again, but I eventually realised I was just taking up space that a better, more committed driver could use, and so I left (hopefully on good terms - I certainly have nothing bad to say about any member of T7R past or present). I don't think I'll join another team, even if real life allows me several hours a week in LFS again (rather than an hour per month, max), because they can't offer anything I want that I can't get without a team, and I can't offer a team anything they need.

In short - don't bother with teams unless you plan to race in lots of leagues with the same people.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Over 99% of LFS teams are rubbish, with no aims, rubbish drivers, and no results.

LOL that sounds just like UKCT :P
Quote from tristancliffe :For a beginner? No, absolutely not. The last thing you want to be in is a team in your first year... There is too much to learn about speed, handling, racecraft, consistency etc, and all of these things are best learnt by driving. Lots. Only when you win regularly on pick up servers, even when starting near the back, and can pass/defend against anyone without making contact, even by accident, should you think about joining a team.

Then you have to choose a team - if this is the case, don't bother. Wait for a team to want you - you will be in a better team, with better drivers. Over 99% of LFS teams are rubbish, with no aims, rubbish drivers, and no results.

What can a team offer you? Support in leagues, mainly. Yes there is the social side of things, but that can be had via forums, MSN and real life visits. You don't need three letters in front of a name to be a friend.

The big question is - what can YOU offer a team? Can you arrange and run a league? Run a website (properly, not a crappy free one)? Can you make software that will aid the team? Are you gifted at sorting race strategies or managing a driver(s) in a competative league??

Chances are you won't get quicker in a team, you won't make any new real friends, you won't get glory, money, or generally better. It just means you have to do leagues (otherwise what is the point of a team?), and wear the team skins, and dedicate time to helping the team in whatever way you arrange.

If it's just a 'friendly team', solely for people to chat, and race with known people then isn't that a bit pointless? How is the racing or the chat improved with three letters in front of your racername?

I was in three teams. The first was formed by Will Dendy, and it was him, Kirves and myself. Will spent ages pursauding me to join, and I was already a quick driver by then. That was then taken over by vMax, run by James Burgess. I was happy there for several years, and did various leagues for the team, and assisted in running the team later in my time. We were never a top team in LFS, mainly because we had no direction - I believe they were better in NASCAR. But then Triple7Racing came a knocking, and it was too good an opportunity to miss. It started well, and I tried entering leagues, but real life was taking up too much time. I tried to stay, hoping that I would get the chance to race in T7R colours again, but I eventually realised I was just taking up space that a better, more committed driver could use, and so I left (hopefully on good terms - I certainly have nothing bad to say about any member of T7R past or present). I don't think I'll join another team, even if real life allows me several hours a week in LFS again (rather than an hour per month, max), because they can't offer anything I want that I can't get without a team, and I can't offer a team anything they need.

In short - don't bother with teams unless you plan to race in lots of leagues with the same people.

That kind of sums up my impressions but I wanted to hear for sure. Especially since the members on this forum are so helpful. Of course, without asking you never know, which is why I asked.
Quote from tristancliffe :For a beginner? No, absolutely not. The last thing you want to be in is a team in your first year... There is too much to learn about speed, handling, racecraft, consistency etc, and all of these things are best learnt by driving. Lots. Only when you win regularly on pick up servers, even when starting near the back, and can pass/defend against anyone without making contact, even by accident, should you think about joining a team.

This is a perfect answer...

I haven't done much sim racing to talk about that aspect of it but its generally all the same, clans, teams, guilds, ect...what ever game you are playing.

If your gonna find some group, and just say "Hey I am kinda a noob, can I join?" and they say "Who are you? Well yeah sure...." you will get nothing from it. I see people in servers recruiting ANYONE just to get more people wearing their tag...You wont even make more friends from that.

If a team will let any random join, so long as there is not a reason not to you end up with just that: a group of random people wearing the same thing.

Best bet is just to find a decent server, and become a regular. As people remember you they will likely be friendlier and offer tips and what not.

The other problem with a team can be that it makes things more official then it needs to be at times. I was part of a casual team for another game...as members came and went the people in charge slowly changed to where our homepage started showing bible verses, members were kicked out because they laughed at another member when he was loosing and he felt hurt...just not what I had joined...and so then rather then coming less often, or only playing with some of them or what ever I had to "quit" which is awkward when it comes to still hanging out/playing with some of them..
the biggest pluses of being on a team for me were mostly from them sharing setups since most people are stingy. and 2nd was it helped w/ race strategy a bit. sometimes a teammate wouldn't have time to figure out how tire performance would change over a race or other aspects of race strategy, and other teammates will share that information with eachother.
Quote from Gabkicks :the biggest pluses of being on a team for me were mostly from them sharing setups since most people are stingy. and 2nd was it helped w/ race strategy a bit. sometimes a teammate wouldn't have time to figure out how tire performance would change over a race or other aspects of race strategy, and other teammates will share that information with eachother.

Agreed. I'm not in a team, but I participate in a free-for-all league. We do races every two weeks, with all kinds of cars and tracks. One of the biggest advantages, besides what Gabkicks said, is that I've learnt to drive many different cars. Normally I mostly race the LRF and TBO classes, so the league offers a great way of "forcing" myself to race other cars once in a while. It provides an incentive for learning new stuff. This way I've come to appreciate many cars that I normally wouldn't really touch.
Quote from Jakg :LOL that sounds just like UKCT :P

How would you know? You're not around enough. Maybe we started winning leagues and races, and we have aims... It's that "CTRA" thing that a few people have been talking about, you heard of it yet?
#10 - Jakg
Genuinely sorry to all UKCT members - i've had the month from hell work-wise, and my mics been broken so I couldn't come in TS....
The biggest pluses for me when I joined a team were:

Learning about setups. Talking on TeamSpeak and learnign how to adjust settings really helped my learn how to set up a car properly. I'm still learning new setup tricks every week, but this has definitly improved me at LFS.

Having admin on a popular server. This means I can chance the track and cars etc, making the game more fun for me and everyone else on the server.

I play LFS to have fun. Joining a team has increased the fun factor in LFS for me. Talking to team members on TeamSpeak or sharing setups. Racing togther with clean drivers. All these things improve my LFS experience.
I didn't join a team until exactly a year after I bought S2. I think it's good to join a team, if you aren't always the fastest guy in a server. I have never been the fastest driver - only winning a few pick-up server races - but since I joined Storm Racing, I have learnt a lot about how setups, leagues, and running events works. I had never entered a league in my life before, but now I'm running mid-back field (three 7th positions in three races) in the GFC which is more than I could have hoped for 6 months ago.

I would say, definitely join a team when you are somewhat experienced, but don't wait until you're really fast. You can learn so much from joining a team, which can make you faster than you would have been without a team. Make sure you turn up to their sessions, and buy a microphone to talk to them via Ventrilo or Teamspeak, and you should have a great time (if they're a good team, of course).
You can learn about setups anywhere - this forum is quite a good place, and there are guides to read too.

Admined servers are everywhere - no need to be part of a team to enjoy the benefits of admins.

Racing with clean drivers, sharing setups and using teamspeak can all be had just as effectively without being in a team.
Quote from tristancliffe :You can learn about setups anywhere - this forum is quite a good place, and there are guides to read too.

Racing with clean drivers, sharing setups and using teamspeak can all be had just as effectively without being in a team.

I try to read the forum, but get bogged down in steaming piles of poo a lot of the time.

A team is like a marriage - yes you can do all those things without being in a marriage, or team, but if you finally tie the knot, join a team, it's official. Away from that terrible metaphor, joining a team gives me a sense of focus, and a regular pattern of practice with other team members over full race distances. It's also bloody entertaining.
Sounds to me like you do benefit from a team. Many don't, but still join pointless teams because that seems to be the 'cool' thing to do.
Quote from Jakg :and my mics been broken so I couldn't come in TS....

jack jack jack.... when will you learn, no-one wants to here you come in TS ok!
Quote from tristancliffe :Sounds to me like you do benefit from a team. Many don't, but still join pointless teams because that seems to be the 'cool' thing to do.

Agreed. Joining a team is much like making love to a beautiful woman - take your time, do your research and inspections, and if you have to pay to do so, try somewhere else.

[/Swiss Tony]
and finding a team straight away is like making love to the queen, you just cant do it.
Enough with the marriage metaphors already

Teams are like a marriage the honey moon can be bliss but a nagging wife can be hell

Serriously though, teams are good value if you have the time and energy to commit. Both of which I don't have
Not to talk about the fact that you can make friends. Organizing team meetings, and so on.

BTW, Happy Birthday Tristan!
Joining to a team is one of the ways for enjoying LFS online. The other way is playing with some friends. Otherwise, forget online, it sucks.
I try to be "independent". I have no need for belonging to a team. I can have "fun" (Well, usually I just flame) online with other racers, no matter what team they are in.

PS. I am now internationally ranked 25th on CTRA Bump & Jump.
Quote from Gekkibi :I try to be "independent". I have no need for belonging to a team. I can have "fun" (Well, usually I just flame) online with other racers, no matter what team they are in.

PS. I am now internationally ranked 25th on CTRA Bump & Jump.

Quote from NitroNitrous :Joining to a team is one of the ways for enjoying LFS online. The other way is playing with some friends. Otherwise, forget online, it sucks.

Are you serious? Surely this is a masterpiece of sarcasm that has sailed way over my head? Forget online without a team, it sucks? :slap:

Never heard such p!sh in my life.........Are you suggesting the AI are more fun to race, lol.

Some of us have a fine time racing with randoms from all over the globe. Some of those randoms become recognised names, and if yer good enough, invites to join teams will be forthcoming.

Whilst also meeting up with friends once a week or so for some fun down at the Skunkhut 2 server All clean drivers welcome!
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Agreed. Joining a team is much like making love to a beautiful woman - take your time, do your research and inspections, and if you have to pay to do so, try somewhere else.

[/Swiss Tony]

Oh gosh, Astra, I don't know where to begin! The fact that your comparing making love to a beautiful woman to joining the team - ugh, ok? NO! Not okay there astra, please go get your head checked!

(J/K)

But yea, I've felt the same thing for the most part that the team has helped me and I hope that I've been helping them as well. Being solo I would never had anyone to practice the GFC races with on normal schedule and never would have done as well as I have, a top 5 finish the first race, had the pace for a top 3 the second race, just not the luck, and 8th this last race, which should have been 6th or 7th I guess...

Anyways, about the team thing its really up to your personality, and that the team fits what you want (and are a good bunch of people). I would say get some experience driving first, but thats really for your own confidence when driving around other people and being able to handle different cars/tracks.

(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG