The online racing simulator
DFP Mods?
(19 posts, started )
DFP Mods?
Has anyone performed any modifications to there DFP?, basically I am after ideas for modifying the paddle shifters.
I, at the very least, want to make them a bit bigger and longer, and I was thinking about machining up some plates to screw to the exsiting "stubs", I also was thinking about making it so the paddles dont turn with the wheel, but this might involve some more serious modification.
Also, I wanted to get rid of the awfull GT4 logo, is this centre piece easy to remove?, I have access to plenty of nice CADCAM, CNC and spark erosion machinery, so I could knock up something pretty decent to replace it with.

Any ideas?.

Dan,
#2 - Phill
the logo is IMO the easiest piece to remove! :P just unscrew the bolts.. right? looks like it.. havn't tried it though..

EDIT* no, those are just looknice-donothing bolts. However, its quite easy to remove the logo after removing the bolts. All you needa do is grab something pointy and stick it in one of the small holes, then just twist and the logo piece will pop out.. leaving a nice ogly bolt behind it.. :P Racy!
I did wonder that, but I thought they may be false bolts.

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Nice one Kev, thats EXACTLY what I was after, now to get the CNC fired up....

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I have already written the CNC program for the "LFS" logo I plan to put inplace of the GT4 logo, just need to get the bit off the DFP (which I am hoping is simple), also just sorting out some sizes for my paddles.
If theres any interest I am sure I can knock some more off for cost price, once the progs are written its just a case of slipping a bit of alu on the machine and pressing the button.

Dan,
U dont need to unscrew the bolts to get the GT4 logo off. just rip it off.
Beware - u will propably destroy it in the process
- and after I ripped it of I covered the center with black vinyl.

I also took away the H shifter and covered the hole with black vinyl.
Its very easy to unscrew the H shifter from underneath.

..sorry for the crappy pic. -phonecam...
Attached images
dfp_bokedit_2.jpg
Quote from danowat :.....I also was thinking about making it so the paddles dont turn with the wheel......

Why the hell would you want that?
I actually saw a kit for sale on e-bay about 6 months ago consisting of a momo wheel and large aluminium shifter paddles specifically designed to fit the original DFP wheel .
I just checked the link I saved and its way out of date
and I can't find any more there atm however it looked like a high quality modification.

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :I actually saw a kit for sale on e-bay about 6 months ago consisting of a momo wheel and large aluminium shifter paddles specifically designed to fit the original DFP wheel .
I just checked the link I saved and its way out of date
and I can't find any more there atm however it looked like a high quality modification.

SD.

You mean this? http://www.frex.com/gp i got one about 6 months ago! amazing

direct link: http://www.frex.com/gp/wheeladapter/index.htm
why oh why did you show me that link?, now I have to force myself to stop spending the best part of £200 for that kit!!!.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :why oh why did you show me that link?, now I have to force myself to stop spending the best part of £200 for that kit!!!.

Dan,

you'd be better off buying the wheel in the UK and just by the adapter from Frex. That way u save on shipping. But it's well worth the buy if you can afford it.
I already have the DFP, got it about a week ago, but the adaptor and wheel comes to 35,400 JPY, with shipping must be close to 40,000 JPY which is about £192......ouch.....my missus would throttle me I reckon....

Dan,
Quote from danowat :I already have the DFP, got it about a week ago, but the adaptor and wheel comes to 35,400 JPY, with shipping must be close to 40,000 JPY which is about £192......ouch.....my missus would throttle me I reckon....

Dan,

errr... something is wrong there, because it cost me only €105 euro including shipping....
Hmmm.....Adaptor is 13500 JPY, wheel is 21900 JPY, according to their site, at current exchange rates thats £170 without shipping.
I'd pay 105Euros in a heartbeat.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :Hmmm.....Adaptor is 13500 JPY, wheel is 21900 JPY, according to their site, at current exchange rates thats £170 without shipping.
I'd pay 105Euros in a heartbeat.

Dan,

Dont buy the wheel from them you'll find one in the UK much cheaper. Here's one for example but you'd find cheaper: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/ ... RT&pcode=OMPOD1972BLK

I got the adapter for €105 and i got a Sparco wheel for €80. That works out at about £120 including shipping
Right, with ya

Dan,
Quote from Forbin :Why the hell would you want that?

So that with 900 degrees of steering, the padels don't turn with the wheel, therefore you can shift while turning.
Quote from xapexcivicx :So that with 900 degrees of steering, the padels don't turn with the wheel, therefore you can shift while turning.

Ah, I see. So then it's not paddles you're looking for, you seek a stick shift.
Quote from Forbin :Ah, I see. So then it's not paddles you're looking for, you seek a stick shift.

nah ... look at how rally cars do it
nowerdays they have a single fixed paddle behind the wheel on the right ... not a stickshift but a paddle
earlier solutions hat a raing behind the wheel ... dunno why they dropped that approach seemed like a better idea than the single paddle to me

DFP Mods?
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG