The online racing simulator
Geared Torque Sensitive Differential
How come there hasn't been any mention of these for LFS? I just got one in my car(1993 VW Corrado). The differential is a Peloquin brand, basically the same thing as a Quaife ATB. It is like driving a totally different car when you hit the twisties and on the autocross. It is rather amazing, you can put one tires on loose gravel, and one on pavement, and launch hard, and the one on the gravel won't even break free. Takes off like both tires were on pavement. Same can be said turning sharp while on the gas, instead of spinning one wheel, and pushing out wide, it will keep traction and pull into the corner, nearly eliminating all understeer.

I think it would be great for LFS so you have another option instead of a locked differential, or a clutch type differential.

Here are some information on what they are and how they work.

http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/torsen-diff/torsen2.htm

And some info on the wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
You've been here for 5 years and still don't know where the Improvements Section is?
Quote from Riders Motion :You've been here for 5 years and still don't know where the Improvements Section is?

I know where it is. I decided to post my thread here instead.
#4 - JeffR
LFS already has limited slip differentials.
Quote from JeffR :LFS already has limited slip differentials.

Ugh.. Did you read my thread? The only "real" LSD, LFS has is a clutch type LSD... In my opinion the Viscous LSD fails...

Besides the Open, Locked, Clutch, and Viscous. I'm curious as to what other opinions are on a Helical LSD...
Quote from Wikipedia: LSD's :Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g. one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

i don't really see any difference between a Torsen and a regular Clutch-Pack, but it would be nice to see in LFS, to actually compare the two, to see which is better for a specific car in LFS.
Quote from burnsy1882 :i don't really see any difference between a Torsen and a regular Clutch-Pack, but it would be nice to see in LFS, to actually compare the two, to see which is better for a specific car in LFS.

Well with a clutch type lsd, you can have one wheel with 0 traction, and one with traction, and it will still be able to send power to the wheel with traction unlike the Helical LSD.
I've read that a torsen is the same as a clutch pack with equal power and coast settings, and no pre-load. At least, I recall Todd saying that. I'm not totally convinced myself but I'd imagine that gets pretty close.
#9 - w126

Geared Torque Sensitive Differential
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG