The online racing simulator
singtelrace singapore Circuit Simulator
(114 posts, started )
I know what your saying ajp, but lets get it into perspective here.

This was made for BRD's simulator, the public really isn't going to see the front end. (as you've pointed out already)

It has obviously been released to the public as a gimmick. (and a free one at that) mainly to get people to that website as far as i can see.

Why bother changing the front end? It's the front end nKpro has and will have. Some people hate it, some people have no problem with it. No need to start removing buttons etc, even if they are dead. That really would have been a waste of Kunos' time.

Not really worth worrying about imo.

This is not meant for or focussed the sim racing community.

If he'd released it as part of the official 1.03 package I'd be annoyed, but he hasn't. I'll forgive the crappy textures etc because of that.

I've had a good moan about it, but i can see it for what it is.

On the positive side the setup options are much better. You can now see what units it's actually using at last as well.

Get it on a decent track and get a decent setup together (not that horrific default setup...why does he always do that?) and the car starts to get some life in it.

It's growing on me now, i was ready to remove it in disgust last night, but after spending some time with it i can see a lot of good stuff in it.

Sure, there's a lot of work to be done for the official 1.03 release, but i can see it going in the right direction now.
heh, got a good setup to share?
The fact is this has been released to the public as a freebie by the client, not a leaked version not intended to be publically released. There have been changes to the UI including the removal of the nK logo and 'partners' button from the top of the bar in the UI, presumably for this client. If you download a program and half the main menu buttons don't work you're going to be pretty disapointed, especially if you're a casual member of the public who happens to find this game, rather than a dedicated sim fan who'll accept a lot of flaws and go through high and hell water setting the damn thing up to work on your system, but IMHO having various options (shaders, sound engine) that cause a CTD if changed just shows a total lack of any real quality control, methodical design or testing.
meh i dont know what to say other than if i was singtel id be pissed
Attached images
muhmuh.JPG
hehe the textures are pretty damn bad. and it takes up alot of vram. over 300mb, which explains why it stutters on my 256mb card unless i run the textures at minimum quality.
#31 - Woz
Quote from Gabkicks :hehe the textures are pretty damn bad. and it takes up alot of vram. over 300mb, which explains why it stutters on my 256mb card unless i run the textures at minimum quality.

F1 had a bad name already and this track just makes it worse lol. Terrible track that is pointless in an F1 car.

Also. What a bodge. Night time BUT done in daylight look. If its night then where are the lights that light up the track. Just looks wrong.

As for NKP 1.0.3. Well the UI still locks up and crashes and what is with the 1st lap stutters. Pull out of pits, do the tight turn onto the track and then stutter hell and BANG into the wall. After 1 lap its fine so what is the problem.

I dont think 1.0.3 will be enough to get me to part with cash yet. As always with NKP its wait and see.
Quote from Woz :F1 had a bad name already and this track just makes it worse lol. Terrible track that is pointless in an F1 car.

Also. What a bodge. Night time BUT done in daylight look. If its night then where are the lights that light up the track. Just looks wrong.

As for NKP 1.0.3. Well the UI still locks up and crashes and what is with the 1st lap stutters. Pull out of pits, do the tight turn onto the track and then stutter hell and BANG into the wall. After 1 lap its fine so what is the problem.

I dont think 1.0.3 will be enough to get me to part with cash yet. As always with NKP its wait and see.

The stutter is due to stupidly unoptimised textures that take up an unexcusable 380oddMB of video ram. (even people with high end cards have complained as well, mind you) It was made by new track makers who obviously don't have a clue.

Shame you don't have a 1.02 license, as driving this car on proper tracks is a complete blast.
It runs beautifully and is quite an insane experience around Zanvoort

The package as it stands doesn't create a good impression at all, but on good tracks with a better setup it's really good.
Quote from The Moose :The stutter is due to stupidly unoptimised textures that take up an unexcusable 380oddMB of video ram. (even people with high end cars have complained as well, mind you) It was made by new track makers who obviously don't have a clue.

Shame you don't have a 1.02 license, as driving this car on proper tracks is a complete blast.

The package as it stands doesn't create a good impression at all, but on good tracks with a better setup it's really good.

how do u get the car in NetKar into 1.0.2?
Quote from Intrepid :how do u get the car in NetKar into 1.0.2?

You don't. You get the tracks into the F1 simulator and copy your license and driver folders into it as well.
bleah just tried it properly round crema (only track i can drive... well technically theres 2 but one of them makes both me and my pc want to throw up) and boy its boring and uninvolving to drive
and yes i did dial out most of the understeer (whoever though it would be a good idea to do the setup menu in such a way that neither pressing down on + continously or the pulling bars works deserves to be shot) and disabeled the tc (makes perfect sense that you first have to switch to keyboard controls to switch it off)
Hmm, think they need a texture artist or two?
speaking of tc
am i really the only one to notice that the highest amount of slip you can set is an whopping 0.3%?
physics made by a guy whos unable to figure out that hell have to multiply by 100 to be able to put a % sign behind the number dont give me a great deal of confidence
#38 - Woz
Quote from The Moose :The stutter is due to stupidly unoptimised textures that take up an unexcusable 380oddMB of video ram. (even people with high end cards have complained as well, mind you) It was made by new track makers who obviously don't have a clue.

This stutter thing is a joke and too many have their heads in the sand. When all all GFX details are at their lowest the judder still happens.

The simple fact is this. Almost ALL that report judder only report it for ONE LAP. Let me say that again to make it clear. Judder only happens on ONE LAP.

What this ACTUALLY points out is that the problem is caused by the fact that Textures and Models are loded ON DEMAND, not before.

If the problem occured every lap you would be right, as it stands you are not. Even those with high end cards report it even with GFX settings set low.

Yes the track could have been made better BUT there is a fault in the GFX engine. If you believe otherwise perhapse you can detail why it only happens for one lap and NOT after that.
Quote from Woz :Yes the track could have been made better BUT there is a fault in the GFX engine. If you believe otherwise perhapse you can detail why it only happens for one lap and NOT after that.

as i said at RSC.... If you believe its a fault of the GFX engine pls explain why it doesn't happen on any of the other 15 tracks i have. In fact they all run far better and smoother than they ever did in 1.02

Lets say for arguments sake that it is the GFX engine at fault. Am i bothered? No. Why? Because the problem will never manifest itself on any other track that is built by half way competent track builders/converters. The GFX engine is performing perfectly everywhere else.
I have a track that is unreleased anywhere that looks better than any of the tracks out there in the public domain at the moment texture wise, yet it runs beautifully. It comes in at 52megs. It's been made properly.
Singapore is 311mb What is that all about?

Maybe the GFX engine is indeed having problems with this track, but i don't see the GFX engine as faulty, I see the track as faulty. The GFX engine doesn't have to load any of the other tracks(far better) textures on demand.
(I'm not referring to the publicly released tracks either. I'm aware those textures aren't up to scratch. Though they still manage to look better than Singapore )

Some people that had fps problems with 1.02 are reporting that they are having none of those problems with this version. (on other tracks)

Really, you need to get over that Singapore track and see the bigger picture here. It bears no relevance to the 1.03 that we will see.

No ones got their head in the sand. 1.03 in the state its in now performs far better than 1.02 ever has, with that 1 exception.

If this stuttering problem appears when the hillclimb is released then I'll give your theory some credit. Until that point I'm sticking to the obvious conclusion that the track has been rushed, is completely unoptimised and made by people that have never dealt with nKPro before. There is nothing inherently wrong with the GFX engine.
Quote from The Moose :as i said at RSC.... If you believe its a fault of the GFX engine pls explain why it doesn't happen on any of the other 15 tracks i have. In fact they all run far better and smoother than they ever did in 1.02

Lets say for arguments sake that it is the GFX engine at fault. Am i bothered? No. Why? Because the problem will never manifest itself on any other track that is built by half way competent track builders/converters. The GFX engine is performing perfectly everywhere else.
I have a track that is unreleased anywhere that looks better than any of the tracks out there in the public domain at the moment texture wise, yet it runs beautifully. It comes in at 52megs. It's been made properly.
Singapore is 311mb What is that all about?

Maybe the GFX engine is indeed having problems with this track, but i don't see the GFX engine as faulty, I see the track as faulty. The GFX engine doesn't have to load any of the other tracks(far better) textures on demand.
(I'm not referring to the publicly released tracks either. I'm aware those textures aren't up to scratch. Though they still manage to look better than Singapore )

Some people that had fps problems with 1.02 are reporting that they are having none of those problems with this version. (on other tracks)

Really, you need to get over that Singapore track and see the bigger picture here. It bears no relevance to the 1.03 that we will see.

No ones got their head in the sand. 1.03 in the state its in now performs far better than 1.02 ever has, with that 1 exception.

If this stuttering problem appears when the hillclimb is released then I'll give your theory some credit. Until that point I'm sticking to the obvious conclusion that the track has been rushed, is completely unoptimised and made by people that have never dealt with nKPro before. There is nothing inherently wrong with the GFX engine.

Well, yes... It points out that high resolution textures or many textures to counter tiling in tracks would be literally killing the engine... That said, I only hat judder once at one point of the track... Come to think of it, it was more like a two second freeze...

The bug I had when I tested it: I stalled the engine after a spin (those barriers are made of rubber?), pushed the clutch and when the engine started automatically, it was barely audible but revved to a whopping 100000 rpm without touching the throttle! Just releasing the clutch still without throttle, the tyres spun like mad (but barely heated up) until the revs plummeted enough to stall the engine again... And don't get me started about the tyre squeal...
Quote from bbman :The bug I had when I tested it: I stalled the engine after a spin (those barriers are made of rubber?), pushed the clutch and when the engine started automatically, it was barely audible but revved to a whopping 100000 rpm without touching the throttle! Just releasing the clutch still without throttle, the tyres spun like mad (but barely heated up) until the revs plummeted enough to stall the engine again...

same thing happens if you try to run other tracks without license info
So a faulty licence protection (in this case) creates a bogus engine simulation? It's messed up more than I originally thought...
Looks like they tried (and failed) to give the impression of night-time using just the textures instead of a combination of textures and decent lighting/shading.
Quote from xaotik :Looks like they tried (and failed) to give the impression of night-time using just the textures instead of a combination of textures and decent lighting/shading.

Everything about the Singapore bit screams EPIC FAIL at me. It isn't good in any sense of the word.

Take the car out of that environment though and i can see the progress that's been made.
It's by no means perfect, but there's some really good stuff going on here.
The big question is whether Kunos can finish the job this time.

Ohh and the tire squeal...:wow: what was he thinking
Quote from The Moose :Ohh and the tire squeal...:wow: what was he thinking

Should be possible to use the one from 1.02? The whole tyre noise should need revamping, using one (and in this case horrible) sample for tyre squealing is just fail.

FPS seems much improved. I'd say maybe +20 fps better on my ancient computer. Hard to make direct comparison 1.02 vs. 1.03 because the F1 "Toyota" cockpit is much lower quality than the others.

That Singapore track was so unappealing that I honestly didn't play it more than 2 laps after I got the nkp/addon tracks working and felt immediately 100% better.

At least did not raise my expectations about 1.03. Overall presentation is just... the dev team still do not seem to know what polishing means which is worrifying when that was/is the exact problem with NKP. Completely irrelevant if this was meant to be only for BRD's amusement park motion sims, the fact is it's available for public and it has NKP badge on it.
Quote from sil3ntwar :I bet my computer is the worst here and i can run it fine

AMD athlon xp 2500 (1.8ghz?)
1GB ram
Vista
Radeon 9600XT

so, how much you bet?
i have even worser. of course i dont play games with this but it's sitll the worse computer in here. this is kind of a ''chat'' copmuter.

512 ram
~1.5 ghz
XP professional
Radoen 9500pro/9700
"I bet my computer is the worst here and i can run it fine"

Maybe that was kind of relevant in this case...
Quote from deggis : Overall presentation is just... the dev team still do not seem to know what polishing means which is worrifying when that was/is the exact problem with NKP.

If all people are worried about is the presentation then they can forget enjoying 1.03. I doubt very much that the UI is going to change at all. (apart from the multiplayer lobby needing some work, i see no need to change a thing)

That really wasn't/isn't the problem with nKPro....the main problems are FPS, join lag and multiplayer(for some..due to FPS)
If that is fixed then that will do for me.

If your looking for polish then you might as well just give up on it now.
i think he doesnt mean polish as in perfection but rather polish as in not sloppy coding
Attached images
untitled.JPG
Quote from The Moose :If all people are worried about is the presentation then they can forget enjoying 1.03. I doubt very much that the UI is going to change at all. (apart from the multiplayer lobby needing some work, i see no need to change a thing)

I say the UI needs a lot of work on it, this version has more UI issues than 1.02, the biggest ones being two settings that cause the game to crash, loads of dead/irrelevant buttons and the reduced functionality of the windows setup screen.

singtelrace singapore Circuit Simulator
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG