The online racing simulator
singtelrace singapore Circuit Simulator
(114 posts, started )
Quote from mclarenmatt :http://www.singtelrace.com/Simulator.aspx

So this is what Kunos has being doing all this time! Lol.

Downloading now to see if it is actually any good.

Edit:// As far as i know this uses netKar-Pro as a base according to other websites, nothin on the website about netKar-Pro and im still downloading it.

i'm downloading now. the torrent seems to be much faster.
Downloading too!

Would rather have the 1.0.3 Patch and Hill Climb mod than this though IMHO!
Can someone mirror it onto a fast server? This one is taking ages and STUPID Nvidia firewall doesn't let me torrent.
Downloading (not via Torrent, but I'll just leave it overnight).

I wonder, as Gabkicks did, if it's 1.0.3 underneath?!??!?!?!
direct link to the download/torrent so i dont have to register please
Quote from Shotglass :direct link to the download/torrent so i dont have to register please

Here you go.. torrent file...

http://d2.singtelrace.com/singtelrace.zip.torrent

I guess this is what Jaap was on about when he said
" roughly within 2 weeks (something like that) there will be a very interesting and 'tangible' 1.0.3 proof of life. Something that you can download."
Quote from tristancliffe :Downloading (not via Torrent, but I'll just leave it overnight).

I wonder, as Gabkicks did, if it's 1.0.3 underneath?!??!?!?!

What do you mean 1.0.3? Was something like this released previously?
Quote from mcintyrej :What do you mean 1.0.3? Was something like this released previously?

Its made with the netKar pro engine apparently.
Quote from The Moose :Its made with the netKar pro engine apparently.

Ah right, I remember driving on the netKar pro demo, it wasn't that bad. If they've made it a bit better on here then I think its definately worth a play.
They might have, or it might be based on the public version... We'll know when someone plays it (I've downloaded it now, but I'm going out... 180kb/s) and announces it's underpinnings.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm definitely trying this out. Being based on NKpro it's likely not to be the crap-fest that the M3 Test Drive thing was.
Mines done - just installing now. Will test with keyboard tonight and then with wheel tomorow.

EDIT: It definately is netKar PRO, considering when you open it the window is the netKar PRO window. Its based on 1.0.3.557.
woops didnt see this and posted in netkar topic :doh:
Buggy as hell so far.

To be expected, I guess.
This is ridiculous. Shaders off, game doesn't work. Shaders on, 2fps no matter what resolution.

Regular nkPro runs fine on my machine.

Worthless.
Quote from The Moose :Here you go.. torrent file...

http://d2.singtelrace.com/singtelrace.zip.torrent

I guess this is what Jaap was on about when he said
" roughly within 2 weeks (something like that) there will be a very interesting and 'tangible' 1.0.3 proof of life. Something that you can download."

thanks but this isnt much of a proof is it? i suppose it doesnt have a mulitplayer mode
Well this is what i've said at RSC

"It's a bit of a mess. (and yes, i have followed the instillation properly )

It stutters like crazy until I've driven a whole lap (90fps-2fps)
EDIT:- I'm thinking this has got to be something to do with the frankly massive amount of textures it has to load compared to a normal nK Track. (297mb compared to an average of around 45 for normal nKtracks) Where all those extra textures are going i don't know because it looks very poor compared to many nK tracks.

The sound engine loops really strangely for ages when i quit back to the menu. (which takes an age)

There's no real feedback from the sounds as to what the car is doing (the brake sounds are absolutely terrible..what was he thinking?)

It crashes randomly on track load up.
EDIT:- scrub that one. That was because i tried scazzato sound, which it obviously doesn't support.

It's obviously only been properly tested on BRD's computers, which for a release to the general public is not wise.

The only benefit is it's not cost anyone anything.

When its actually running properly and you've adjusted the settings (as usual the default settings are absolute guff. A decent FOV , TC right down and different gear ratios is a good place to start) it's quite fun:bg:,unfortunately the track isn't one that you can really put the car through its paces on.
You'd really need to be able to take it around Spa or Silverstone to get a proper feel for it imho.

The positives are much better setup options, and being able to save/load setups in game.

1.03 is going to need plenty of work before it's released. (though i realise this isn't what this is really a demonstration of)

I cant get it to run properly on other nKPro tracks. The sound is fubared and the car goes really slowly. Is it just me or has anyone else got it working with other tracks?
I imagine it a deliberate move by the devs, though i cant see why it shouldn't work with other tracks in theory.
"

It's probably not the best advertisement for 1.03, but of course it's not supposed to be, and isn't anything like a final version of 1.03.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is ridiculous. Shaders off, game doesn't work. Shaders on, 2fps no matter what resolution.

Regular nkPro runs fine on my machine.

Worthless.

did you try rebooting your pc? after a lap or two, the stuttering goes away for me. i've got a pretty crappy system too
I bet my computer is the worst here and i can run it fine

AMD athlon xp 2500 (1.8ghz?)
1GB ram
Vista
Radeon 9600XT
ah, i forgot that i'd turned the texture quality all the way down. i turn it back up, and the stuttering seems to be back. i dont have time to do more testing right now windowsXP, athlon xp 3000+ 2.2ghz, 1gig3200ram, x800gto256mb
As always with netkar pro, you don't need a good or bad pc, just the ''magic'' hardware combination that makes it work pretty acceptably...
the replay function doesnt appear to be working properly... it only records a little over 2 minutes and i dont understand how it decides what two minutes to record. i just did a 1:52, and i clicked save replay, but it only recorded the beginning 2 minutes of the session when i set the lap time on lap 3... even though i told the game to record 15 minutes I'd imagine this car is capable of 1"46's around this track maybe. i only have about 20 laps of experience now
You can run any nKPro tracks with this as long as you copy over your license folder form nKPro.

It's a whole new experience. Runs smooth as silk and is a whole lot more fun than at the crappy Singapore track.

I'm feeling more positive about it now It's a blast round Spa
Tried it, very disapointed by the shoddy presentation more than anything, some of the perforamance issues might have gone, will need more testing to tell though and the new car/track textures and models are awful. I won't bother retyping my RSC posts.

Quote from me :I've tried it with a few laps round Aviano and Singapore. I left the graphics as they came out the box, seems fine at Aviano, haven't had any of the performance issues I had in 1.02 yet.

Singapore though is another story, it's a horrible track to drive, looks awful with such bright and unrealistic colours and generally looks a mess with nothing blending softly, and with default draw distance there's awful pop up so I suspect I may have issues when I bump it up. The track really reminds me of the PS1 style arcade racers, not something I thought I'd be seeing in nK.

The car itself looks hideous, the cockpit (usually the strongest part of nK) looks like it has a steering wheel made to satisfy AIM and BRD, not what one would find in a real car which is fine but the rest of it just looks so bare and the textures just look so artificial, clearly not done by the same artist who did the original content. Even with full (default) longitudinal movement there's no sense of rapid deceleration under braking, you have to look at the speed read out to work out the thing is slowing down, which it is very quickly.

The presentation is atrocious, one step forward with saving setups in game and a giant leap backwards in removing the setup screen from the windows side. The tires are listed as 'Avon Formula One' but they've got Bridgestone written on them and Avon don't make F1 tires, what was he thinking?

Most of all though I'm just gobsmacked at the fact that the interface hasn't been changed for this new client, there's still a dead multiplayer button, there's no pit speed limiter but still a speed limit in a car where you break the speed limit by blipping the throttle in first gear, you can still activate it and host a race. There appears to be no attempt to brand it at all and it has ended up with the most weird blend of realism and arcadeness. I don't think this will impress any customers at all, it would just about do for a use where the user has no contact with the UI, like a motion simulator which I can only guess is the actual intended use for this.

Overall it's good to see something has finally been done but the quality of the new content is diabolical, hopefully future nK content will come from a different source. What I'm really worried about though is the sloppy presentation and the fact it still has silly settings as defaults, above all this has failed to restore my faith in Kunos and only makes me more worried that we're never going to see a finished product if the simplest bugs and sloppy bits of design can't be dealt with in two years.

*nk fanboy whines 'your focusing on all the negatives'*

Quote :No really the actual individual problems mean nothing, it's the reflection on the development strategy that's important. Since the release of nK we've seen new content, including bikes FFS, being developed but nothing done about the obvious little presentation bugs, the fact a developer doesn't fix the obvious stuff or take the time to change bits of the UI so half of it isn't irrelevant and dead only widen questions about what is being done underneath where most of us don't go poking around, if it's as much of a mess as the surface no wonder it's taking him so long to sort it. Presentation is a reflection of underlying quality, which is everything in the long term for both computer software and racing cars.

In contrast to Kunos I have absolute faith in Scawen (LFS dev) because in the time frame of nK Pro he's delivered a couple of major physics and gameplay updates but as importantly he's kept the community involved both by giving updates and by conducting public testing, meaning every patch has been tested by anybody who chooses to download the test patches before it's released to everybody, and due to the constant updates testing and trouble shooting there are never normally more than one or two minor bugs in the test patches and the public patches are usually flawless. Whilst I'd like new content and features I'm far happier with the odd optimisation, recently the order of buttons in the UI was swapped around to make them easier to use and language/character support has been an on going process in virtually every patch. It rather seems to me that Kunos takes an approach of just ignoring these things, it couldn't have taken him more than 30 minutes to remove the multiplayer button, host option from the drop down menu, the whole activation screen and purchase link and renamed the tires to something sensible, did he? Of course not he probably spent that time developing some new toy that won't make up for the fact he's got a buggy piece of software.

(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG