The online racing simulator
G25 Button Advice
(19 posts, started )
G25 Button Advice
I'm very tempted to get a G25 and would like to know how most people set up the buttons.

There are only two buttons on the wheel and then the shifter paddles.

The buttons I use most are view left, view right, hooter, view rear and handbrake. Pretty much in this order.
I have these all as buttons now.

I would like to use the paddles for gear changes and I think the two buttons for view left and right. But then the other functions need to move to the buttons on the H-shifter unit.

So what do you think?
I use the buttons on the wheel for left/right veiws. Handbrake is the far right red button on H-unit. Starter is the top black button. I think I have the horn on there too, but I never use it. The D-pad is all my smiley's and a sorry. I don't like reaching over to the keyboard for that stuff.
#3 - migf1
The only prob is the handbrake, I don't use it all. Instead of rear view I just use the mirror, while view left/right are happily assigned to the wheel's buttons. The rest on the Shifter unit (for me, as shown in the attached picture).
Attached images
g25buttons.jpg
i got turn signals on the paddles/left button. and starter on the right.
i had before the horn and light signal (flash) on the left 2 buttons and the wr or pb on the top black button.
What are you guys doing with the turn signals?
I see from above that they feature well for button placement.

I like to keep the horn button handy as I find it helps to reduce accidents, like when people are backing up after a crash without looking.

The handbrake is for the rallyX tracks and I use it to get out of trouble when I'm understeering towards the wall in a fwd.
i use the wheel buttons for left and right, i need to be able to look left and right to cars around me while keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road
I also use 'Shift' buttons which are very useful!
#8 - EmilO
How do i set turn signals on to the G25?
#9 - migf1
Quote from EmilO :How do i set turn signals on to the G25?

Via the Wingman Profiler software.
Quote from EmilO :How do i set turn signals on to the G25?

Have a
/press 7...0

script on one of the Alt + bindings in your options and assign it to a button... You can find all the scripts in the \data\script folder...

Or, if you're in need for free buttons (or if you want to be leet), have two scripts:

First, open your autoexec.lfs with editor. Then paste
/altf <number of F-key you want to assign> /run lftsgon

into the file. This is to ensure the first buttonpress turns the signals on when you start LfS. Save and exit. Then create a new text-file you call "lftsgon.lfs" (make sure there is no .txt file-ending or it won't work!) and have it contain
/press 7
/altf <the same F-key you used in the autoexec> /run lftsgoff

Create another new file called "lftsgoff.lfs" which contains
/press 0
/altf <same number again> /run lftsgon

You can do the same for your right and warnsignals with other Alt + bindings... The filenames are interchangeable, the only important thing is that they link to each other...
I have attached an aluminium-plate on the lower part of my G25 wheel, placed 10 Buttons from an electronic shop on it and an old gamepad was slaughtered for the functionality. Works quite well and all needed keys/functions of lfs are available at my thumbs

If you are completly unable with electronics and soldering: a small gamepad attached on the wheel will do a good job - I used that with a momo wheel. You just have to find a gamepad that matches good on that wheel.
Any pictures atall? Sounds interesting
As long as you dont race single seaters too much, just map the paddles to look left/right, thus freeing up the buttons for horn/handbrake...
For changing gear?? use the shifter (with the clutch pedal!!), its why you pay $300 for a G25 instead of £100 for a standard wheel!
Don't use these anymore because of "additional" controller made by me. But when I didn't had that, these were my bindings:

Red buttons on a wheel: Look left / look right.
Red buttons on a shifter (From left to right): Ignition, horn, handbrake, pitlimiter
POV: Hazard lights (up), signal left (left), signal right (right), lights off (down).
Actually never used the black buttons on shifter. Probably useful for automatic messages, like "sorry" (I don't have to use it so often that I have binded it somewhere to access quickly. I always type it manually).
Quote from -Willi- :I have attached an aluminium-plate on the lower part of my G25 wheel, placed 10 Buttons from an electronic shop on it and an old gamepad was slaughtered for the functionality. Works quite well and all needed keys/functions of lfs are available at my thumbs

Any pictures? Sounds interesting.
I'll post some pictures tonight, when I am at home
Attached is a picture of my wheel with extra buttons - not perfect in shape but in functionality

Btw. its 14 extra Buttons, not 10 as written before. The colored heads of the buttons are replaceable, actually I have only 4 black buttons on the left side to press cursor keys and two white to cycle through f9/f10 and f11/f12
All colored buttons are now on the right side with these functions in same order as in picture:
horn, handbrake, teamspeak (speak)
reset(car not pc), light, teamspeak (mute all)
tc, pitlimiter
(the 2 original g25 buttons are used for looking left/right)

As I'm writing this I recognize, that I could remap some buttons like reset and tc - they are almost of no use

The gamepad I slaughtered looked like some ps2 gamepad - 4 shoulderbuttons, left hand a direction pad (cooliehat in gamecontroller setup), 4 button righthand, 2 analog sticks (I had no use for them) and 2 buttons in the middle
Attached images
G25w14btns.jpg
Very nice idea.

So does LFS recognise both the G25 and the sacrified game controller and you assign the button functions in LFS?

Did you glue the aluminum piece to the wheel and doesn't the long cable for the old game controller get in the way?
LFS can handle a lot more controllers - I have attached 3: gamepad, g25, speed7.

Most functions of lfs are assigned with lfs, but I use this tool http://www.deinmeister.de/jct_e.htm to assign other keys.

The steering wheel is hold by 6 screws (see picture) - my plate is hold by the lower 3 screws. In the upper part I have just put 3 small plates to get the same distance - u can see a little bit of it at the top screw.
The cable is fixed with tape to the steering axis - it has to be quite long, because when g25 calibrates it does a 900 degree turn. I have no problem with that cable while driving, but I only use max 300 degree turn in - dont know how it would be with full 900

G25 Button Advice
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG