The online racing simulator
Using Normals for Racing?
(9 posts, started )
Hi,

This morning I tried to work something out; I wanted to see if normals can be used in front to replace from the supers tires. I'm not a really good racer and I tend to easilly burn my front tires so I use normals to front which keeps me from heating them too fast. I took a world record setup (slightly modified for the test) and set the track to Blackwood REV for 20 laps. Using supers/supers, my AI's best lap was 1:28.56 and best total race time was 14:59.76. Using normals/supers with the exact same setup, the AI's best lap was 1:30.27 and best total race time was 15:15.76. I think that if tuned correctly, a setup using normals up front can still be quick enough to keep up with a setup using supers only. It won't be an advantage for sprint races but it COULD be for longer races (40+ laps). The tests were made with a XRT so I guess it would be even more effective on a FXO, tough you would have to fight for understeer correction. Have anyone ever used such combinations of normals/supers? If so, please post them here because I'd like to try some.
well, maybe for an FXO (I don't know because I don't drive that car) it does make sense, but not for XRT. XRT has a a great tyre wear, and tyres don't heat up to much and do it equally, with a proper setup, if you have troubles with fronts of XRT you might be using too much steering input (XRT rarely needs it, mostly steered with the throttle) or using too much camber with too soft pressures.

I took part in GTTC cup with XRT, races were about 30 mins long and I had no problems with tyres, they heated equally and not higher than 74-78 *C.

Here are some of the sets I used, they were based on HL sets, with tweaked camber/pressures.
Attached files
XRT_SO4R Race.set - 132 B - 975 views
XRT_BL1_Race.set - 132 B - 1038 views
Quote from Riders Motion :I'm not a really good racer and I tend to easilly burn my front tires so I use normals to front which keeps me from heating them too fast.

That's where the idea of using normal tires becomes less of a tire-life issue and more of a crutch for poor driving, no offense.

I'm pretty sure that, in the vast majority of cases, the benefits of the increased grip of super tires will outweigh the longer life of normal tires- even including pit stops.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :well, maybe for an FXO (I don't know because I don't drive that car) it does make sense, but not for XRT. XRT has a a great tyre wear, and tyres don't heat up to much and do it equally, with a proper setup, if you have troubles with fronts of XRT you might be using too much steering input (XRT rarely needs it, mostly steered with the throttle) or using too much camber with too soft pressures.

I took part in GTTC cup with XRT, races were about 30 mins long and I had no problems with tyres, they heated equally and not higher than 74-78 *C.

Here are some of the sets I used, they were based on HL sets, with tweaked camber/pressures.

Thanks Arthur! I'll try these later when I get to plug my wheel.

Quote from luftrofl :That's where the idea of using normal tires becomes less of a tire-life issue and more of a crutch for poor driving, no offense.

I'm pretty sure that, in the vast majority of cases, the benefits of the increased grip of super tires will outweigh the longer life of normal tires- even including pit stops.

And yeh I don't hide it: I'm a real shit at racing.
#5 - Mrwei
In Y version..My favourite car FXO confused me so much ...The front tires are so easy to be overheated....And can we setup a right SET to ease the overheat???
Quote from Mrwei :In Y version..My favourite car FXO confused me so much ...The front tires are so easy to be overheated....And can we setup a right SET to ease the overheat???

You have to drive smoother. Be sure to blip the throttle on downshifts and increase the pressures of the front tires.
Quote from luftrofl :You have to drive smoother. Be sure to blip the throttle on downshifts and increase the pressures of the front tires.

what he said, also use sensible amount of camber on fronts, more than -4.00 degrees of live camber definetly won't help your tyres to be cool. But then again you'll have lots of understeer and you'll need to compenstae that too (higher rear ARB, softer front spings etc.)
With a fairly low locking (below 50%) LSD instead of locked diff, and gentle steering I can get the tyres to last about 40 laps on an FXO, you do sacrifice a little speed, but lets face it, on all but the tightest Autocross tracks the FXO has power and speed to spare in comparison to the other TBO cars.

Use a clutchpack LSD with 35% lock under power and 25% under coast with a preload of around 70Nm and certainly 30 laps is easily done, do this and you will experience tyre wear as opposed to just overheating... But most important is to steer gently
very early in patch Y I found out how not to cook the FXO's front tyres:

Blip on downshifts, carefull accelerating out of corners (as if you were driving a RW drive car), and mostly DONT LOCK THE FRONTS when braking - hence the blip on downshifts.
The one thing that stopped my cooking tyres was I simply quit changing down gears until I was well within the braking zone.
THis way, when I downshifted, it was to a lower rpm, so the fronts wouldnt lock (or start sliding), so cooler tires, so less slippage on corner exit, so cooler tires on next braking, so less locking on next corner, so better exit on next corner.....

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG