The online racing simulator
#1 - Chaos
Let the Thread starter change the thread name
Why should we bother the moderators with this, when the thread starter (in a way owner of the thread) could do it by himself...

(Or I'm blind and can't see the thread name edit link)
#2 - ORION
Seems to be a bug/feature, that you can only change the title of your post, which has no influence on the thread title. Quite odd if you ask me.
My suggestion: let the thread starter edit the thread title within a certain time limit. Maybe one or two minutes (the same time you can edit a post without it showing "edited by..."), but after that it should be locked.

This has the advantage that the thread starter can fix some spelling errors but he cannot confuse the heck out of us by changing the thread title of a week old thread.

#4 - Chaos
Well sometimes things come up that deserve the thread name to be changed... Like my thread with removing the demo/s1/s2 separation, which after some debate I would like to be changed only to removing the s1/s2 separation... this is not a change to be made in 5 minutes...
In that case you have to ask a moderator. If they allowed changing thread names without limit, everything would just get really confusing, same as if they allowed changing user names. This is just a no-no and will never happen.
I think I agree with AndroidXP. It would just be too confusing when overzealous thread starters keep "tweaking" their topic names...
#7 - richy
Quote from bobvanvliet :I think I agree with AndroidXP. It would just be too confusing when overzealous thread starters keep "tweaking" their topic names...

you could just leave it as it is so if anyone else has a similar idea they will still find it on a search, and then read it and see what was said.
#8 - Chaos
Quote from AndroidXP :In that case you have to ask a moderator. If they allowed changing thread names without limit, everything would just get really confusing, same as if they allowed changing user names. This is just a no-no and will never happen.

I dunno, the thread starter can change the name in the czech lfs forum and in over 2 years of existence I have never seen this behaviour that you are afraid of...
Well, it's nice to hear that the czech community is that well behaved, but you have to see, you have about 500 members there, this forum has about 5700 members. I've seen my fair share of strange users here and personally I don't know a single other board of a comparable (or bigger) size that allows editing the thread title.

These rules are there numerous reasons, the most prevailant being that the internet is full of jerks. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need those rules, but you know...
LFS uses vBulletin, just like RSC so I wouldn't be suprised if it's not posssible
You know, vBulletin is programmed in PHP, nothing in here is hardcoded or unchangable. If Victor wanted to, he could rewrite the whole code to do whatever he likes. Also it cannot be a technical/not-implemented problem, because we all know that moderators and admins are indeed able to edit thread titles, so in the end it's just a question of user rights.

I may have totally misunderstood you, though.

( +1)
I dunno, I often want to edit the title of my threads but have been unable too. Now I triple check them and give them a good thought before creating the thread.
Quote from AndroidXP :You know, vBulletin is programmed in PHP, nothing in here is hardcoded or unchangable. If Victor wanted to, he could rewrite the whole code to do whatever he likes. Also it cannot be a technical/not-implemented problem, because we all know that moderators and admins are indeed able to edit thread titles, so in the end it's just a question of user rights.

I may have totally misunderstood you, though.

( +1)

vBulliten is not a free message board system so I dobut you'll be allowed to modify it to much.
Yes but the flip side to that argument ment is "I paid for it and want to do damn well what I like with it."

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG