The online racing simulator
Quote from TiJay :Because the footage in the ads isn't rendered in real-time. The first time I played GT5, I was surprised that the framerate wasn't as good and there wasn't as much AA as in the trailers.

Hmm, thats what i originally thought. Well thanks for clarifying.
Quote from Rappa Z :All I can say is that Bill Gates better start building a supercomputer because no one is every going to be ble to run GT5 on a computer with max graphics.

Take a look inside PS3 and you might realize it's not a supercomputer either.
#28 - JJ72
I am tempted to think there's no AA at all, that's my personal observation with the game itself.

and GT5 isn't as good as Rfactor as long as you are getting the right mods.
are u guys playing on tvs that support 1080p?
#30 - JJ72
yup, it's actually Sony's own showcase rig, HDTV G25 and all that.
I bought this and hooked up my G25 to it.

1080i doesn't do this game justice. It was designed for 1080p, anything lower and you get AA artifacts and rough edges. That said, you don't notice it too much when you're actually driving.

Physics wise, while it doesn't hold up to the likes of LFS or rFactor with RealFeel, it's a giant leap from previous GT releases. I don't get quite the same level of detailed Force Feedback that I do in LFS, but it's decent and doesn't immediately seem like canned effects.

As for the actual racing, I'm enjoying it way more than Forza 2... the races have well-matched groups of cars, and you can't just slap on some power-enhancing part, magically remain in the same class and dominate a race. I really enjoy that you can't just get around being a lousy driver with mods That said, the AI is bland, predictable and timid. I've yet to jump online since I'm still mastering the tracks, but I'm sure it'll be much more interesting!

As for PC release, there's no reason a PC couldn't run this game. The PS3 isn't necessarily very powerful... the developers simply utilize those nifty vector processing Cell processors packed into the PS3. With NVidia's 8000-series cards attaining PhysX processing onboard, I'm pretty sure any decent gaming rig out in 2009 (when we can expect a PC release) will probably do a better job graphics AND physics-wise than current gen consoles.
I probably Think It can be good If it has a good enough physics engine that can trump the one in LFS. If that's true then I am ordering A copy of it when it'll (or if it does ever) comes to PC. I am willing to upgrade my computer for a super computer even if it means selling a kidney

Side note: I think I won't have to sell my kidney since all of the other games who challenged the LFS is crushed in under 0.002 seconds....
#33 - wien
Quote from Rappa Z :All I can say is that Bill Gates better start building a supercomputer because no one is every going to be ble to run GT5 on a computer with max graphics.

Pfft. Don't make me laugh. Compared to a modern computer the PS3 doesn't stand a chance.
Quote :I am tempted to think there's no AA at all, that's my personal observation with the game itself.

On the menu/pit garage screens: 1920x1080 no AA
In races @ 1080i/p: 1280x1080 2x AA
In races @ 720p: 1280x720 4x AA

(These figures are from GTPlanet.net)
but because we (I) play it in these big hdtv at 1.80m of distance (my cockpit) it would need way more than 4xFSAA to look "clean"
In my 40" 1080p set, it looks ACE at 3 meters, but you can see many jaggies at 1m80cm.

the replays add motion blur, more AA, depth of field, and cuts the frame rate from 60fps to 30 fps (most footage you see online is from replays).

but is good to drive, good to look at, orgasmic to listen (sounds were recorded from both the cockpit and the outside, so they are real).
funny, in most reviews i read the sounds were criticized the most, being as bad as in GT4.
Quote from Gabkicks :are u guys playing on tvs that support 1080p?

Yup. I notice no real difference tbh. Still looks very rough.
As far as sound goes... yes the engine and exhaust sounds are 'accurate' in that they were recorded for each vehicle under various loads/RPM ranges. They did a good job on transitions between the different recordings so you can't hear any obvious sample changes.

One gripe I have is that there's little depth to the sounds. I play in cockpit view and it does an OK job with sound deadening in various cars, but I find the low frequency sounds (which normally get transmitted to the cabin regardless of how much dampening material you've got) are suppressed just as much as the high frequency sounds.

If I could be so bold as to compare the sound with LFS... when I turn up my subwoofer on my PC and drop the volume a bit, it's far more realistic than if I do the same with GT5. In LFS, the subwoofer amplifies the low-tones to the point where I can get my desk shaking in the GTR cars (this is what I consider APPROPRIATE frequency response). In GT5, since the sound dampening isn't mathematically calculated (it's recorded from the cockpit from my understanding), you're at the mercy of the sampling and it results in a hollow, boring experience. A simple boost to the samples' low-frequency end in cockpit views would help tremendously.

Tyres... don't get me started. They use a generic high-pitched squeal for EVERYTHING... LFS has a great scrub sound that lets you know when you're pushing your tyres just right... retaining grip yet right on the limit. GT5 just starts fading in this ultra-annoying squeal that provides absolutely no valuable information to the driver and quickly becomes tiresome. Then again, I find myself driving better just to avoid the noise

GT5 certainly steps up the visuals in their quest for beauty, but there's equal beauty in sound and they need to step up in that department.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG