The online racing simulator
Possible Land Speed Record Destroyer
(49 posts, started )
Woah! This is inside - 4 V8s :headbang:

looks more like russian engineering to me... although on the plus side like this it cant fall out of the sky like starfighters usually do

Quote from squidhead :"Wanted, 20-40 suicidal idiot with a total deathwish and no family, to test our new land speed record car. Must have not much to live for"

where do i sign?
Quote from Shotglass :where do i sign?

You don't have any family or anything to live for? What about your Live For Speed family?
Wow, i didn't realize it till just now. But it looks like most land speed cars are uglier than f1 cars.
Quote from tristancliffe :I might apply, but I don't think a 20 year old F3 car is relevant experience if fighter pilots are applying

You'd be amazed at the similarities.

Quote from squidhead :"Wanted, 20-40 suicidal idiot with a total deathwish and no family, to test our new land speed record car. Must have not much to live for"

meh typical childish reaction, & how many land speed record attempts have ended in tragedy? I can only recall two out of hundreds.

Quote from sgt.flippy :Land speed records suck... Those cars aren't usefull whatsoever, so what's the point in trying to make them?
I like science... But it should have a reason too.

Yeah just like F1 sucks, those cars aren't useful they just push forward the boundaries of engineering genius & what is actually humanly possible on planet earth! thats all. I mean why do they even bother? :rolleyes:
Quote from anttt69 :You'd be amazed at the similarities.

I've never had to apply full opposite lock at 600mph to stop a car from disintegrating. Nor had to do it with such reflexes... But it would make a nice article on my website, even if it had to be written posthumously!
Quote from anttt69 :Yeah just like F1 sucks, those cars aren't useful they just push forward the boundaries of engineering genius & what is actually humanly possible on planet earth! thats all. I mean why do they even bother? :rolleyes:

Touche
Quote from anttt69 :Yeah just like F1 sucks, those cars aren't useful they just push forward the boundaries of engineering genius & what is actually humanly possible on planet earth! thats all. I mean why do they even bother? :rolleyes:

Actually I don't like F1 either, it might be a touché, but not for me

boundaries fine... engineering no
Those top speed records are literally complete nonsense. You collect money, buy the biggest power source you can get, put some metal around it with space to fit the 5 tons of gas and a driver in, and try to be faster than the mofos from xyz-contry. It's like the fight for the first moon landing between usa and ussr, just even more stupid (and more money involved maybe).
Did jet car people ever show genius in engineering? Did they really invent something that's useful today? Jet turbines? Fuel injection? Proper brakes? Airplane tires? other features?

No

Everything has been there (long) before, people building rocket cars have ALWAYS used technology that already existed. If it were for science purposes, speed records on wheels would be international affairs.

Concerning death rates for those attempts, many many people have died trying to break class records, just because there's no daily update in the news doesn't mean nobody died. Example: I've never heard of a fatal accident on the Isle of Man TT, at least not on the news.

With our track races it's just slightly different.. F1, DTM, nascar and
the like are for sure only testosterone and money on wheels... but at least they drive corners and have to brake. That's what keeps them closer to our normal cars, and sometimes, once in a while some F1 engineer invents something that IS useful. I can't remember what that was though... can you?

greetz

der butz
Its about going where no man has gone before, its human en devour & bravery (with a bit of madness) all rolled into one in a flat out blast to the horizon. The quest for speed is endless.

Your probably right it's mostly bragging rights, but imagine being the fastest man on earth. It's one of the same reasons why we race in sims & RL. It's in our nature to be competitive & want to be faster than the next guy.

I agree they mostly re use existing technologies but its not about that, these people create fire breathing monsters capable of things never witnessed before on this planet. Each one of these machines are one off ground breaking vehicles, & every serious attempt at the land speed record deserves the utmost respect.

You can tell i'm British cant you? . Anyway just watch 'the fastest Indian' & you will understand a bit of what i'm on about.
Quote from anttt69 :Its about going where no man has gone before

by going to the exact same salt pans everybody else doing this waste of gas and time has gone before?
you still dont understand, do you?

sorry couldn't resist:
Attached images
thrustteam.jpg
i fully understand that its a pointless attempt at getting into the history books while advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge by precisely bugger all
#40 - JJ72
Quote from anttt69 :Its about going where no man has gone before, its human en devour & bravery (with a bit of madness) all rolled into one in a flat out blast to the horizon. The quest for speed is endless.

In this case it is abit ironic cos the starfighter was faster when it had wings.
Quote from Shotglass :i fully understand that its a pointless attempt at getting into the history books while advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge by precisely bugger all

Wow. That's definitely a very narrow-minded opinion. But hey, everyone's entitled... I guess. Not everything people do has to be to "benefit mankind."

When someone spends a few grand on their STi to make it go faster, they are not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".
When I spend a few hundred to put PA speakers on my car, I am not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".
When you spend a thousand an an LFS-capable computer, you are not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".

You are having FUN though... aren't you? And isn't that all that really matters?
Quote from Shotglass :i fully understand that its a pointless attempt at getting into the history books while advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge by precisely bugger all

Why do you even want to exist with that kind of approach to things? No really, surely there is no point in even living?

Meh, Germans must have a different type of brain to us Brits.
Quote from DaveWS :

Sure we've got different brains... we Germans don't believe in Monarchy anymore Naah, we're mostly the same...

Quote from Stang70Fastback :
When someone spends a few grand on their STi to make it go faster, they are not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".
When I spend a few hundred to put PA speakers on my car, I am not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".
When you spend a thousand an an LFS-capable computer, you are not "advancing the worlds collective engineering knowledge".

Alright, that's why I said before that hormons rule the world... You want to have a better car with a louder radio to impress female humans, mate with them and secure the spreading of your dna..... That's why we fight against each other in EVERY way possible, period. (don't take this too seriously, but after all why are we here?!)

Quote :
You are having FUN though... aren't you? And isn't that all that really matters?

No, fun is something different (and I'm serious now!). We do things for adrenaline, but that can be achieved with less effort! Try bungee jumping, ist about 100% cheaper than building a billion $ car and racing it for 3 minutes before the vehicle goes into some museum forever.
As far as I see it these guys doing this want to have attention... or attract the most women (see stuff written above).

Trying to break the land speed record is not only dangerous and expensive, it's utterly useless and doesn't mean a single thing for mankind.

greetz

der butz
Quote from der butz :Alright, that's why I said before that hormons rule the world... You want to have a better car with a louder radio to impress female humans, mate with them and secure the spreading of your dna..... That's why we fight against each other in EVERY way possible, period. (don't take this too seriously, but after all why are we here?!)

Well, maybe that's why YOU would do it. Some people do it because it's FUN to work on a car and upgrade it. Others do it because it's FUN to drive a fast car.

Quote :No, fun is something different (and I'm serious now!). We do things for adrenaline, but that can be achieved with less effort! Try bungee jumping, ist about 100% cheaper than building a billion $ car and racing it for 3 minutes before the vehicle goes into some museum forever.

Yes, adrenaline can be a part of it, but a lot of people also do it because it's enjoyable. I put speakers my car because it's FUN to work on it and figure out how to wires stuff. It's also fun to use them to make silly noises or to call out friends in the school parking lot. I don't play LFS for the adrenaline rush, I play it because it's fun!
oh damn, now we get back to the old times when the g-powers were so high in indycar that people stunned while driving in high speeds. now the difference is that you get more noice and probaply dead driver. or than this rocket car is built to get only little g-powers and nobody dies
Quote from batteryy :oh damn, now we get back to the old times when the g-powers were so high in indycar that people stunned while driving in high speeds. now the difference is that you get more noice and probaply dead driver. or than this rocket car is built to get only little g-powers and nobody dies

G-forces, you need some sort of acceleration, and 1g is roughly 9,81m/s², and that's the earth's gravity. An accelerating space shuttle gets about 3g, but a turning fighterjet in a BFM situation can achieve much more: for example, the F-16 is limited to 9g.
Crap explanation, I know.
Current land speed record is held by a rocket sled, 6453mph, at Holloman Air Force Base High Speed Test Track in New Mexico back in 2003.

A more recent run with a Navy warhead was first reported to reach 6589mph, but was later found to not be that fast, so the 6453mph run still holds. There's a 11,000+ foot "tunnel" of helium for the run, sort of like clear plastic wrap with supports to hold it in place.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J90Wq4qJMwM&fmt=18
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Well, maybe that's why YOU would do it. Some people do it because it's FUN to work on a car and upgrade it. Others do it because it's FUN to drive a fast car.

Yes, adrenaline can be a part of it, but a lot of people also do it because it's enjoyable. I put speakers my car because it's FUN to work on it and figure out how to wires stuff. It's also fun to use them to make silly noises or to call out friends in the school parking lot. I don't play LFS for the adrenaline rush, I play it because it's fun!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not telling anyone to stop doing what he/she likes, and I also do many many things for fun! Me racing lfs or slotcars, riding my bike, etc. etc., these things won't get mankind anywhere.
It is just as useless as speed world records. but they cost a fair bit more and bring other relevant disadvantages with them.

Also when I installed a sony radio with cd changer and some cute speakers into my Mini once, I did it for fun... but the actual goal was not having fun building the thing, it was listening to it when I finished it. And by doing funny stuff on the school parking you also want to impress, don't you?

greetz

der butz
Quote from DaveWS :Why do you even want to exist with that kind of approach to things? No really, surely there is no point in even living?

if were honest the only sensible point to your life is to get a new generation going while at the same time slightly increasing the worlds extelligence in the process... most everything and everyone who doesnt is first and foremost a waste of oxygen (politicians and lawyers in particular)

Possible Land Speed Record Destroyer
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG