The online racing simulator
#1 - Jakg
Bluetooth Not Working On Laptop - Need Tech Help.
Right, here comes the problem:

My laptop has inbuilt Bluetooth, but I can't get it to work

My laptop is an HP Compaq nx7400, although there are about 20 laptops with that model number all with different specs, this is the 15.4", 2 GHz Core 2, 2 GB of RAM one. It has Bluetooth built in, but i've never used it. I remember when I first got the laptop I set the bluetooth power mode to off via the "HP Wireless Manager" software to stop it wasting battery, but now when I run the software the box is totally blank - it doesn't show Bluetooth, it doesn't show my Wireless card - nowt.

Device Manageer shows no bluetooth devices either.

I'm currently using a Bluetooth Dongle and it's amazingly useful with my new phone, but it's too big to leave in the laptop all the time and the inbuilt one would be so useful.

I've tried re-installing both "Wireless Manager" and the Bluetooth drivers but it just says that I have no Bluetooth hardware installed.

I really don't know what else I can do - Theres no option to enable/disable it in the BIOS, either.

(I know this isn't the best forum to post this on, but i've posted it lots of places, but I usually find that members of the LFS forum are more likely to know the answer weirdly)
#2 - need
Do you know where the bluetooth card is on the laptop, if it's accessible, try reseating it.
If you don't, check the HP Compaq website for a manual which show's you where it is.
Depending on the system, it might be easy to get to, or it might not.
#3 - need
ok, here you go:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.co ... l/c01035648/c01035648.pdf

You need cookies enabled to access it.

Remove the module, start the system up, close it down and re-connect the module.
If it's not found when you start the system back up, then it's either a faulty module, or a faulty motherboard connector. (Unless there is a switch for it in the BIOS which you've missed :P )
#4 - Jakg
Ok... will taking it apart void the warranty? The screen is a little btit buggered and i'm waiting to convince by Dad it's worth sending it back...
#5 - need
I've no idea how HP's warrenties work to be honest. I was kind of assuming that since you were asking on here, that it wasn't in warrenty anymore.
Give their support line a call first and see what they say. They might be quite happy for you to do some things, but not others. And if they are happy for you to go about reseating the bluetooth card, they should be able to talk you through doing it.
#6 - Jakg
Time to talk to HP then...

Grrrr.

EDIT - Just had a go at undoing the screw - it's one of those thinly-black painted screws. Not touching it unless i'm told that it won't invalidate the warranty. My Dad may not believe in warranties but I may need to convince him if the screen gets any worse.
#7 - need
:P Let me know what they say

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG