The online racing simulator
Nissan GT-R recognizes racetrack coordinates and aftermarket parts
Just read this:
Quote :Apparently the Nissan Corp. has ruined the fun of aftermarket tuners on the latest GT-R high performance street sportscar in Japan. The ECU is set on a hair trigger and balks at many aftermarket performance upgrades as well as non-factory installed tires and wheels through the run-flat detectors.

But more ominously, the onboard navigation system watches your speed via GPS and recognizes popular racetrack locations. You must scroll through a series of menus and agree to disable the 180kph (111mph) speed limiter. Then after thrashing it on the track, you must take it for a $1000 Nissan High Performance Center safety check or the warranty is void.

Big Brother is your co-pilot.

Weird. They sell a sports car, but don't want you to actually race it.

Yes, they sell you a sports car and don't want you abusing it then claiming on their warranty, or ruining their image with ricer addons. Sounds like they might dramatically improve the image of the Skyline (or whatever they want to call it to distance themselves from the moronic Skyline fanbase), which can only be a good thing.

Soon ricers will have no choice but to stick with Corsas and Saxos
...the onboard navigation system watches your speed via GPS and recognizes popular racetrack locations.

I'm sure this "big brother is watching" is going to be hugely positive marketing.
Quote from deggis :...the onboard navigation system watches your speed via GPS and recognizes popular racetrack locations.

I'm sure this "big brother is watching" is going to be hugely positive marketing.

If you have the cash to fork out for a GTR, and want to keep the warrenty I think this is a great tool for car manufacturers.

Like Tristan said alot of people claim warrenty work when in actuality the warrenty is void because the owner had altered the vehicle in ways the manufacturer has not control over. With a system like this in place it will hopefully cut the cost of buying warrenty and make it more viable for cars to have longer and longer warrenties.
#5 - 5haz
Anyway, at what point are you going to go over 111mph on the road? Unless you want to die/get a hefty fine.

Although maybe it isnt such a good idea to control how a customer uses their car, afterall, they forked out to buy it and so it is owned by them, so really I think a person should be allowed to do whatever they want with any item they own.

I think this may damage Skyline sales, even if it does improve its image.
Exactly, so they can put on a 111mph limiter and nobody will notice except those who want to do trackdays, and they get the option to "do what they want", knowing that it will either invalidate the warranty or require an expensive service. Win-win all round really isn't it.

Besides, limiting sales to stupid people will only help residual values and the whole companies image...
Well, altogheter it's not THAT bad, but the 1000 bucks check after a track drive...true PITA.
Quote from Fabri91 :Well, altogheter it's not THAT bad, but the 1000 bucks check after a track drive...true PITA.

New GTR sucks ass. Only GTR's that were any good were the old KPGC10/KPGC110 and the R32.
#9 - sam93
If you have the money to buy a GTR and thrash it round a track you should be to pay the service fee if you want to keep your warranty void.
One thing I want to know is if a racing team approaches them wanting to race a GTR will they take this out for them, well saying that I know it will be completely stripped out but Nissan will know it has all been turned off or taken out.
I think a couple of you are missing the point? or at least one.

Nissan has set up the warrenty for this car different because they know people are going to be racing it. But people will also be using this as just a standard sports car who still want their warrenty.

When you race, the risk of breaking something goes up A LOT. When you race your warrenty is void. Many people race their cars, break somthing, then claim it under warrenty. Nissan is trying to stop this. When you race your car you can either accept it as a racing car. Or you can take it in and get the $1000 inspection, this inspection proves to nissan that you havn't broken anything in your car that you could claim under warrenty.
Quote from Fabri91 :Well, altogheter it's not THAT bad, but the 1000 bucks check after a track drive...true PITA.

Just so you know.. You don't need the 1000 buck inspection. Pretend you are super rich and just got a new GTR... you want to see how it does on a track. You race it once then get the inspection. There, your warrenty is valid again and you can go back to driving on roads.

But if you will go to a track day every other day, this risk of breaking something in the car becomes to great and it is useless for you to be forking out 1000 bucks every week, and it is useless for Nissan to still have you under warrenty.
As I understand it, the car simply won't run with engine tweaks or third-party wheels and tires. The first is understandable, because it may damage the engine. The second is not understandable, and looks like monopolizing the upgrades/replacements market. That is illegal -- the same has been attempted by Lexmark (inkjet cartridges) and by Nokia (batteries for mobile phones) iirc.

The speed limit probably only applies when the GPS says when you are on a track. In itself that's sensible, because you may be only driving near the track (to watch the race); GPS is not that precise. But it does create a loophole: you can thrash the car quite badly but stay below 180 km/h. Even worse, an owner who doesn't want to pay the $1000 is tempted to go for a blast on a public road. (Street race, anyone?)

If Nissan is really concerned about warranty claims, they should let the car log abusive driving, like excessive G forces and high revs. They could even put a warning on the driver's display if he is driving wildly ("Easy, son. Three more minutes like this and your warranty is void.")
The 112 limter wont be a feature on the uk cars as its a japan only law, Just wait for the V-spec to be realeased its meant to be a beast 150kg lighter and 70bhp more but prices are supposed to be around 75-90k But is meant to be 18 seconds a lap faster than the GTR which is not slow round there.
And there has already been alot of tuning companys messing with the gtr changing all kinds of things so i would'nt take nissans scare tatics gospel.
I'm sure its not scare tactics. I think alot of manufactures would void the warrenty if you started tuning the car. Its good buisness sense really, so they don't have to deal with all the boy racers ragging the hell out of it.
Alot if not all will void the warrenty if you tune the car anyway the only new thing nissan is doing is trying to tell you its not possible and to scare you into not doing it in the first place. If you import a car from japan yourself you dont get a warrenty anyway so who cares?
LOL, i was just talking to a guy who's on the waiting list for a GTR... i wonder if he knows this.
Come on, you don't buy a car so you can drive 180 km/h...
You drive a car because the speed it can go, instead of what it could be able of íf the limiter wouldn't be installed etc.
I know it's better for warranty and such, but this is a bit nitpicking.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, they sell you a sports car and don't want you abusing it then claiming on their warranty, or ruining their image with ricer addons.

Personally I find this really depressing... The willingness of people accept a submissive position to a brand is just exasperating. I'm with Keith Moon: if I buy a Rolls Royce and want to paint it pink with house emulsion and an old paintbrush, that's my business. You sold me a product; fix it when it needs fixing, or we burn your sodding factory down... Oi! Nissan! Stop acting like a ****ing prima donna.

But seriously, (oh... sorry... I was being serious...) its the thin end of the wedge. GPS based speed limiters are coming to a world near you soon. Its almost too late to protest the stupidity of such an idea; you've been prostrate for too long... Your body hardly remembers how to signify refusal.
I agree entirely. But obviously Nissan feel that they have been 'fleeced' by people running their car on race tracks and then getting the wear and tear fixed under warranty. If the idiots that buy Skylines had been honest then Nissan wouldn't have to react in such a way to look after its own interests.

One might buy the car, but the warranty remains in control (and ownership) of Nissan to do as they please with, and that includes automatically invalidating it after improper use.
Quote from tristancliffe :

One might buy the car, but the warranty remains in control (and ownership) of Nissan to do as they please with, and that includes automatically invalidating it after improper use.

I think it likely that the number of people thrashing a skyline have probably done so with a second hand car, no longer under the protection of a warranty. The idea of controlling the 'brand image' is abhorrent and should be clearly stated as such by the public at large.

If the warranty clearly states that the car should not be driven at its limits, I think this is a question of brand insecurity. You don't like the problems that come with retailing a performance car? Then please Nissan, don't bother producing performance cars!
Quote from wsinda :As I understand it, the car simply won't run with engine tweaks or third-party wheels and tires. The first is understandable, because it may damage the engine. The second is not understandable, and looks like monopolizing the upgrades/replacements market. That is illegal -- the same has been attempted by Lexmark (inkjet cartridges) and by Nokia (batteries for mobile phones) iirc.

Nearly all car warranties ban after market modifications and any track use. Replacement parts are a different (and contentious) issue, there's a lot of talk that legitimate equivalent replacement parts shouldn't invalidate a warranty, but that's completely different than performance modifications. Apart from simply being an indication a car is likely to be driven harder performance parts (especially the silly cheap nasty ones fitted to the 4WD super computers) can easily damage and wear out other components which are covered under warranty. If a customer wants to they can over ride all the speed/modification limits and accept that they will not be able to blag a warranty anymore. The few road cars that are sold as true track cars normally don't come with a warranty or come with a nominal one to meet requirements that's invalidated the moment the car goes near a track.
#24 - JJ72
hmmm you got it with a chinese manual??????????????
i actually think its a good idea.
at least it keeps the street racer off the streets.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG