The online racing simulator
Quote from flymike91 :This is a terrible idea.

OK, you think it's a terrible idea, but could you please explain why you think that? Because segregation is bad? Are you trying to say I'm discriminating?

Also, I don't understand why you act so offended?

Quote from flymike91 :I don't really understand, is it the discussion of upcoming drift events that pisses you off? what exactly is it? The only issues I have seen are in drift vs race threads such as "what the fascination with drifting?"

I agree with you when you say drifting is a competitive motorsport and it's actually great that LFS can provide it. There is nothing that pisses me off about upcoming drift events. I don't have anything against drifters, at all. It's not my cup of tea (mainly because I suck at it) but that doesn't mean I don't respect them for what they do.

My point is that this forum generally isn't very tolerant towards non-racers, which results in stupid discussions and flame wars that can only harm LFS and scare potential license buyers. If that thread you mention is the only race vs drift issue you've seen, I think you've either not been around for very long, or you don't spend enough time here. Look at Ian.H's signature from some posts above for the closest example I can find. Can't be arsed to search for example threads but I'm sure you can find loads.

Quote from flymike91 :Even if racers and drifters are segregated, drifters will still be disrespected in the racing forum with ignorant generalizations

If my suggestion is applied, I don't see a reason for the subject drift to be discussed in the racing forum..? So I think that what you're saying isn't applicable.

Taking your post into account, here's a short balance how I see it - for a separate forum section for drift and cruise;
- segregation is discrimination (?)
+ no more flaming wars destroying LFS' credibility
+ drifters/cruisers won't have to start every post with "please don't flame me"
+ racers don't have to have anything to do with cruise/drift
+ cruisers/drifters don't have to have anything to do with racers

Edit: took me way too long to write this hence some overlap with STROBE's (very nice) post
+1 It would make these forums much less cluttered. And I wouldn't have to fight the urge to flame so much.

But in all honesty, putting the drifters in the same boat with the croozerz is a bit much. Drifting is much closer to racing than it is to croozing. Driftin is a sport and it takes skill to do it right. Croozing is just driving around. Even monkeys can do that. No offence to monkeys.
This "segregation" of real racers from casual racers seems to be the main goal of iracing. I do not think anyone will pay $13-20/month to cruise around a track. And I'm not sure if iracing will give the community any freedom to make a mini-mod like that either.

A drifting community is probably doubtful as well. Most LFS'ers are young and have little real racing experience - I do not think that will be the case with iracing.

On the surface the structure of iracing doesn't seem very inviting. I like LFS because I can hop in any server I want anytime and race with whoever I want. But after watching the SRT iracing interview I can kind of see their vision.. I wonder how badly the LFS community will be hurt after it is released....
People leaving out of boredom and lack of progress is a much greater threat than any other sim. Even if iRacing lives up to what they promise from a physics/realism point of view, their pricing scheme will ensure that "racer loss" is pretty minimal. You might argue that the racers will leave and the drifters/cruisers will take over, but I doubt it will really have a significant impact to be honest, at least I don't think it's going to get much worse than it already is.
Maybe have premod in this section, and not approving drift related stuff?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG