The online racing simulator
Adjustable front wing on GTR cars?
*Sorry if this has been discussed before, couldn't find it*

Being new to S2 (thanks to you know who you are ) and slowly coming to grips with FZR on Aston, I'm wondering about the availability of an adjustable front wing on this and other closed wheel race cars (FXO GTR and XR GTR).

From the look of things, these vehicles only have a front splitter that's pretty much fixed in its inclanation angle. I'm assuming these cars are modeled after LeMans/ALMS GT1 & GT2 classes and I don't think those car feature front wing adjustments either. I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong here!

So while I appreciate the setup flexibility that an adjustable front wing gives, I'm wondering if this option should even be there. Not trying to stir another "LFS is/isn't realistic" debate, but I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

Cheers,
They have a couple of kanards on each side of the front bumper - thats whats adjustable.
I think you're right. It appears that the developers haven't got around to implement all car specific setup options yet.

For another example, just check out the micro adjustments possible for gearing. I have no doubt this will be fixed in some future patch.
Quote from Stigpt :They have a couple of kanards on each side of the front bumper - thats whats adjustable.

I've noticed those, but even if you're right, are they perhaps too effective? For example, +1deg on front gives you ~30N of downforce on FZR, while +1deg in the rear gives you ~40-50N.

Now, the rear wing suffers from the developing turbulent flow over the body of the car so its effect is reduced. But the surface area of the rear wing is way, way bigger than that of the front canards, so I'm rather skeptical of the effects they produce even if they are adjustable.
Actually (but Im no expert) methinks the kanards ARE that efficient. They have "Clean" air rushing over them, plus the air thats deflected sideways from the front bumper.
The rear wing, on the otherhand, is riding the slipstream of the car, so in effect @200kph, the kanards have 200kph-winds riding over them, while the rear wing only has say 160kph.
Quote from delray25 :I think you're right. It appears that the developers haven't got around to implement all car specific setup options yet.
For another example, just check out the micro adjustments possible for gearing. I have no doubt this will be fixed in some future patch.

Imo it's a good thing we have almost infinite amount of adjustment at this point of development. They reveal flaws in the physics engine easier.
I think that real GTR cars like in the ALMS have some front adjustability, but not a lot.

What they can do is change the entire front assembly to use a different splitter and winglet arrangement. The vents on top of the wheels have an effect with the downforce so you will see different variations of those too. Changing the nose on these cars does not take very long, but it is something that you rarely see them do on a pit stop. It is more something that is done during the test sessions prior to a race. On the 12 and 24 hours races, you will sometimes see them change the nose for different conditions.
I would have thought (But I am yet another 'no expert') that they would have different designed aero packages for different tracks, slippy ones for the likes of Hock and Silverstone and 'Blunt' ones for more twisty stuff and then within those design limitations I would have thought they can adjust to a certain degree to fine tune the setup. I would think that absolutly no adjustment whatsoever wouldn't lead to productive racing with these types of cars . . .
#9 - ajp71
I think Hallen's got most of it. GT and sportscars produce the majority of their frontal downforce from fixed bodywork. Most sports cars (Group C, LMP, Radicals/bikesports) use a single piece front end with absolutely no adjustment. Depending on the level of competition and budget behind it there's no reason why they can't have a different body every race, but choices would still need to be made in advance and practicality would reduce the number of options taken to a track. LFS doesn't currently simulate these cars.

GT cars tend to have little winglets that allow some adjustment trackside, although typically adjustments will be made to the rear wing to balance aero when required because the range of front winglets is very small meaning precise adjustments just don't happen, you may be able to get 10 replicatible settings rather than the 30 or so we get in LFS. They should make a pretty large difference because if you have them designed well they should redistribute the air flow over the other body panels creating far more of an effect than if they were just conventional aerofoils. I think there's a trend for the biggest teams with the biggest budgets to try and move towards single piece interchangeable front ends, which should be a more efficient way of getting the trade off you want, like the sportscars do though.

Quote from Funnybear :I would think that absolutly no adjustment whatsoever wouldn't lead to productive racing with these types of cars . . .

It really shouldn't be a major issue. Real life racing generally isn't about making tiny adjustments like it is in LFS because conditions and cars change during the course of a race and testing time is limited IRL. Generally getting a safe well balanced car is far more important in any racing, especially endurance racing than worrying about the last hundredth of a second because it only takes one mistake or failure for the tiny speed advantage to be completely irrelevant even over 24 hours.
I was just wondering about exactly this topic is avout while trying to find a good setup for a race.

I think we all agree the front-downforce on gtr's is too adjustable right now. Maybe an moderator can move this topic to the improvements-section? The improvement would be: Less adjustable front wing on gtr' s.

Those canards at the front are currently not very effective/realistic, i think they should be free of the rest of the body work. The backside of those canards are connected and blocked by the rest of the bodywork which would make them very ineffective. As it is right now, they should stick out of the sides to look realistic. But not really an issue as most of us care more about realistic handling then looks.

On the other hand, the rear wing and, also the front wings on formula cars, should have finer adjustments possible , but there is already an topic about that somewhere.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG