The online racing simulator
CHEATING WITH LFSTweak ( Y )
(19 posts, started )
I was doing an experiment to see if you could cheat using LFSTweak for patch Y. I done a hot lap ( South City Sprint 1 ) in The UF. It was easy to beat, so I saved the replay and then uploaded it in the Hot Lap's. I was expecting it to come up with an error but it didn't and whent straight on there. I deleted it straight away..

I dont really no what ells to say. But I jsut thought that I would bring it up so made someone could do something about it.

SORRY IF THIS IS IN WRONG SECTION BUT DID NOT KNOW WERE TO PUT IT.
It only works if you still have the LFS Tweak open with those settings, if you turn off LFS Tweak it should come up with a OOS error (Out of Sync) Which is what other people would get too.
Thanks for giving silly ideas for other people here. I'm sure some of them will upload such hotlaps...
^ Well, good for us as everybody who uploads cheated hotlaps gets banned from ever uploading hotlaps again. They're also fairly easy to spot since they immediately go OOS when you try to view them with a non-tweaked LFS version.
Thanks
Thanks people, O and Toki it was not my intetion to give people ideas, I just thought it was a topic worth bringing up.
I see Since these ppl read this thread, they start thinking on it you know..
Quote from Snake2 :Thanks people, O and Toki it was not my intetion to give people ideas, I just thought it was a topic worth bringing up.

Edit your first post.
Meh - no need to edit his first post to be quite honest - lets face it - all hotlap replays are watched by someone pretty much within the hour of it being uploaded - someone will then report a strange OOS error *wink*.

Then the ban stick will be coming out! *WHACK*
Cost: A few seconds' worth of mouse clicks. Benefit: Guarantees no further spread of the exploit by this post.
Cost: More exploits. Benefit: Saves Snake2 the effort of clicking a few times to edit his post.
It's not a better trade-off to wait for someone to eventualy see the replay OOS, and for that someone to know what the OOS means as well as have the interest to report it.
Quote from Snake2 :I was doing an experiment to see if you could cheat using LFSTweak for patch Y. I done a hot lap ( South City Sprint 1 ) in The UF. It was easy to beat, so I saved the replay and then uploaded it in the Hot Lap's. I was expecting it to come up with an error but it didn't and whent straight on there. I deleted it straight away..

I dont really no what ells to say. But I jsut thought that I would bring it up so made someone could do something about it.

SORRY IF THIS IS IN WRONG SECTION BUT DID NOT KNOW WERE TO PUT IT.

There's a section in the end user license agreement about this buddy. This act you have just performed has resulted in people having their accounts banned. You might want to get in contact with the developers and let them know what you've done so you can redeem yourself before it's too late.
But I have alredy said I have deleted the hot lap and it is no longer on the S2 HOT LAP CHART. I was just seeing if you could cheat to get a world record wich you could. So i posted this form so someone could do some something about it as i have alredy said.

I had no bad intentions, in fact i done this so people were awere what you could do with LFSTweak, wich is why i dont think the LFSTweak should be released. It would help the Devs if Tweak dose not get released any more.
With respect to modified replays being accepted into the hotlap ranks; all that happens when you upload a hotlap is that LFSW automatically checks the HLVC status within that file. LFSW is currently not capable of running the simulation to see if it is a valid lap. The only other alternative would be to hand check each one.

By allowing a simple HLVC and relying on the hotlap community to police the hotlap submissions there is a reasonable level of control and response to invalid laps.

Of course this is all old hat, but then again it is unreasonable to expect everyone in the community to know everything. If we did then there would be no community.

Quote from Snake2 :I had no bad intentions, in fact i done this so people were awere what you could do with LFSTweak, wich is why i dont think the LFSTweak should be released. It would help the Devs if Tweak dose not get released any more.

I'm not seeing why this would help if tweak/tune was prohibited.

Someone will always try and find a way around a restriction, to do more, to cheat in effect. By forcing the prohibition of tweak-like applications on the forums you'd be driving the use and development underground, much like you'd see from a negative handbrake, or other, exploit.

By allowing the application, but restricting it within reason (such as licence checking), allows for a sensible measure of control by the developers and the community itself.
Quote from the_angry_angel :LFSW is currently not capable of running the simulation to see if it is a valid lap. The only other alternative would be to hand check each one.

Perhaps then the addition of a nongraphical edition for replay playback/validation would be handy: queue up the submitted hotlaps and validate them asynchronously on a different server or thread on the same server. Have it run through the queue every so many hours, suspend the hotlap and notify Victor about cheaters.
Quote from xaotik :Perhaps then the addition of a nongraphical edition for replay playback/validation would be handy: queue up the submitted hotlaps and validate them asynchronously on a different server or thread on the same server.

I agree that would be a very good idea, however is it really worth it at the moment, and is it likely to happen? <insert grumble about the dedi still having a directx based frontend>
Quote from the_angry_angel :I agree that would be a very good idea, however is it really worth it at the moment, and is it likely to happen? <insert grumble about the dedi still having a directx based frontend>

It's only worth would be a sort of "marketing gimmick" to put people's mind at ease I guess but also for the following scenario: If someone ups a hotlap of a WR with a cheat it will get noticed more likely than not - but if someone ups a cheated hotlap that's not even on the first page in the rank it's likely no one will notice because no one will d/l it. So I guess it would only mean something for someone going for a general ranking and wouldn't mind sacrificing some hotlaps of combos they're weak in to get an "average but acceptable" time that wouldn't hinder their handicap.

Good point about the dedi though - I had not tried it before until recently (wanted to bughunt for Y10 issues) and was wondering what's the point of the directx front-end.
Quote from xaotik :Good point about the dedi though - I had not tried it before until recently (wanted to bughunt for Y10 issues) and was wondering what's the point of the directx front-end.

No idea tbh The only suggestion I can think of is that it's easier to put everything on the screen, as it were.
Can someone give me the link for the tweak for patch y?
Quote from joebob4441 :Can someone give me the link for the tweak for patch y?

Ahh geeez. Someone search for it on Google. Its been out for countless months and yes it works.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG