The online racing simulator
LFS Headtracking using Cachya Software HOW TO.
Okay, I have thoroughly enjoyed headtracking for Flight sim and decided to try it in Live For Speed.

Here is the setup.
-Run on a Windows XP OS, (VISTA users you can follow these guidelines but I can't guarantee it will work for you)
-Simple Microsoft USB webcam (apx 20.00 Cdn)
-Cachya headtracking software (demo is free , 2 axis, and full version is 17.99 cdn)

*** I highly recommend having LFS open in windowed mode Shift+F4 will window it so you can glance back and forth between this write up and LFS.

1) Properly follow installation guidelines for your webcam and make sure it works, run its base program to insure you can see yourself on screen with the camera.

2)Install Cachya Software

www.cachya.com

Print out the headtracking symbol through their Downloads link page.
Follow their instructions for installation and basic setup.

Now that you have the two base components figured out and installed correctly you have to configure Cachya to work with LFS so you can headtrack.

3) With the Cachya Software loaded on screen you have to make sure your lighting is sufficient and not too powerful to make the symbol unreadable. Try to make sure there isn't too much background traffic or a Television in view of your camera, it will actually look for shapes similar to the headtracking symbol you will have on your head and it will focus away from you giving you some very interesting camera angles on screen!

In the Source Menu bar scroll down until you activate your webcam, with the preview button checked you should now see yourself on the preview side.
To check that the software is picking up your movements turn on 3D Demo, if the 3D Demo is very erratic or all over the place you will have to adjust the ambient lighting in the room or the contrast on screen until it is no longer overly sensitive.

If you are sitting too far away from the camera you may need to print out the larger headtracking symbol or zoom your webcam in if possible.

Once you have control of the view in 3D demo, click the check mark and turn it off.

4) In the Game Control Menu click "Enable Mouse Simulation"
by doing this you have enabled the headtracking software to use your head movements to slide your mouse cursor around.
You'll notice right off the bat its probably very sensitive to your movements.
In Mouse Configuration click "Yeild To Real Mouse" you will see why later.

My recommendation is to have the Sensitivities on all Axis set to where the E is in Less on the main screen.
( you may need to adjust to your liking for how sensitive the headtracking will react to your movements. More sensitive will move the mouse cursor fast and less sensitive will move the mouse cursor slow. You want this movement to match how much you are turning your head . So when you have your head turned to the side of your monitor the mouse cursor should just be getting to the edge of the screen)

5) Setup in LFS.

Best way to mess around and make sure everything is right is to start a single player round in your preffered vehicle with nothing else on the track.

Open your options screen and go to View.

in Look Function set it to MSXY that is mouse axis X and Y this will allow you to control up and down , left and right views.

I recommend "Look Sensitivity" set to 0.75. 0.90 is 90 degrees left and right, while driving at high speeds this can be dangerous. 0.75 allows enough view to the side that you can see the car next to you and not have to turn your head too far from what is in front of your vehicle.

Set "Look Center Reduction" to 0.20 this will ease in centering up the camera when you look forward.

Now with the game loaded and the headtracking software working properly its time to test it in game.

Once on a track and in an in car view ( remember you can set this view as your default in the Options for LFS) You need to center up your view so you can start looking around.
The mouse will always overpower the headtracking software, so take the mouse and center up your view ( may take a couple tries as Cachya tries to remember where you are looking most of the time) Once you have it centered hit CTRL+` (above the Tab key) this will default Cachya to the position you just reset it too.

If you look off screen or too far beyond Cachya's axis the software will try everything it can to pick up the symbol. Center your head up to the middle of your monitor and use the mouse to center up the rest of the view as described above.
If this is happening often then you will have to adjust the Sensitivities, Contrast and or your ambient lighting.

Enjoy and let me know if this works for you , or if you have questions post away and I will answer as well as I can.
the link to their site is dead for me
that is true, looks like the site is down, stay tuned for updates.!
Thats pretty cool.

... but why not just use a TrackIR??
I've got an older TrackIR 3 and use it all the time in LFS.
Sorry for being dumb.. but what exactly does doing all this achieve??
it records your head movement by using leds put on a cap on your head. so the movement from your head will be braught into your game and it will use your head movements ingame. it makes the "feeling to be in car" much more real.
See the TrackIR website for info; http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/, you'll get the idea.

Very useful in flightsims like FS2004 or FSX. And I've got to using it in LFS all the time, it is very useful.
I like the concept of not requiring LEDs like the freetrack idea does but so far I think the most interesting idea for headtracking would be using this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5E1wsxIMj4

It's the PS3's sixaxis controller and recently there have been drivers released that make the 6dof sensors work under windows either using the bluetooth connection or wired USB.

With some modification one could put the sensors (accelerometers aren't big at all) in a more compact container and use them for headtracking without playing with cameras and such.

However, the controller itself isn't that cheap - costs around 30 to 40 euros but then again it'll be a far more accurate system, not prone to interference from light sources and potentially (depending on the hardware modding capabilities of the person using it) look less geeky when worn on the head.
The reason they don't use accelerometers for head tracking is that even with a small tilt of your head the inputs would give a false reading like you moved your head in a different way.
Quote from horrgakx :Thats pretty cool.

... but why not just use a TrackIR??
I've got an older TrackIR 3 and use it all the time in LFS.

I would turn that question upside down. Why buy TrackIR (which is expensive) when there are perfectly good free alternatives? Check out FreeTrack too if you haven't heard about it.
Quote from horrgakx :The reason they don't use accelerometers for head tracking is that even with a small tilt of your head the inputs would give a false reading like you moved your head in a different way.

That can be adjusted via GlovePie from what I read in one project that someone did make a head tracking contraption using the sixaxis just for it's accelerometers. Fun stuff. Glovepie looks super handy for other applications as well.
Hey, The Cachya software doesn't use LED's, its just a Peice of paper you print off and cut down to size, you can stick it to a hat with regular tape.

Track IR is an expensive alternative to the setup described above, the price difference is apx 170.00
Quote from LFSn00b :sorry for the small bump. I liked this tool but when i started to remove useless programs from my computer, i saw that Cachya Windows drivers use 33.7GB of my disk space. I removed it asap.

What the heck??
The standard Windows "add remove programs" does make mistakes pretty often - or rather it is lead to make mistakes when installers aren't properly configured by a developer, highly unlikely that it was using 30gb on your HD.
Quote from LFSn00b :Yes, it first amazed me too, but it clearly said that on the programs thing:/

Did you buy the full version, or are you using the demo?

I've heard of memory leaks before, but never "HDD leaks"..
Quote from fugudacat :Enjoy and let me know if this works for you , or if you have questions post away and I will answer as well as I can.

Thank you for taking the time to write a Cachya guide, it makes trying the software so easy that I said to myself 'why not?' - Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work well inside LFS, despite several attempts, fiddling with camera and program settings, and under different lighting conditions.

The cursor moves just fine when I'm setting it up in Cachya, but in game it's weird: I'm either looking not exactly the way I wanted, and occasionally Cachya goes mad, interpreting a little casual movement of the head in a dramatic way.

I have a decent cam (Logitech Sphere/Orbit) but that doesn't seem to help at all. A similar program (but more promising) is under development so I might give it a spin once it's out, unless I decide to try FreeTrack out first

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG