The online racing simulator
(Slight) Problem with the EULA
Here is the relevant bit of the EULA:

Quote :3. Unlock Rules and Regulations 3.1You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

And here is my problem!

I have a PC that dual boots either XP or Vista depending on my whims; Vista is installed on drive C, and XP on drive D. So far, no problem.
This afternoon I dragged my entire LFS folder from C to D, making a nice copy..booted it up, and whammo...straight into demo mode and needing to be unlocked. Unlocked it, had a few races, then had to reboot into Vista to do something else.. Decided to have a few more laps, so booted up LFS and....DEMO MODE AGAIN!!!! so, it obviously doesnt want to be unlocked on two OS's on the SAME machine simultaneously, yet according to the EULA, I can install it on TWO computers if it is for my own use...

/me is baffled!
Have two copies of LFS.

One in C:\LFS_XP and the other in C:\LFS_Vistacrap

Substitute folder names and locations as you prefer.

Only unlock and use each version on ONE OS.
So if I rename the folders to:
C:/LFS and D:/LFS_XP (for example), I would be able to have both copies unlocked at the same time? (C=Vista, D=XP)
(Need confirmation before I have to beg Victor for more unlocks )
Yes.

LFS sort of looks at the state of the computer and OS (although I don't know what exactly) when it unlocks, and compares that snapshot at subsequent loads. Different OSs give a different snapshot, so it relocks. If you never run LFS unlocked in XP whilst in Vista it will never realise, and remain unlocked in XP, and vice versa.

Or just buy another computer
Quote from tristancliffe :.....
Or just buy another computer

ANOTHER ONE!!! zOMGWTF!!!!

As it happens, I currently have SEVEN working computers in use at the moment (4 desktop and 3 laptops!), and a further ELEVEN laying around in bits!!!

Why would I want another one?

Thanks anyway Tristan, will give it a try
Quote from tristancliffe :If you never run LFS unlocked in XP whilst in Vista it will never realise, and remain unlocked in XP, and vice versa.

iirc even if you run it under a different os as long as you dont tinker with the licence status it should stay unlocked in the os youve entered your licence details with

edit:
also you could use the same lfs folder for both oses if you use a batch file that replaces the contents of your data/misc folder with appropriate ones for the os youre currently in
#7 - ajp71
I have multiple copies of LFS unlocked on my computer without issue.
One other thing to keep in mind is sometimes by copying the installation you change file attributes, I had a similar problem and it happened to be a read only file.

Just one other thing to watch for

Luke
Quote from ajp71 :I have multiple copies of LFS unlocked on my computer without issue.

Same here (P2, Q, Q2, U, U11, U20, U28, U30, V2, W, X10, and Y). But do you have multiple unlocked on the same computer with 2 different OS running? That is his problem.

Sounds like he has 2 instances of LFS "installed". One on the C: drive for Vista and one on the D: drive for XP. I would think that this would work fine since I assume he is running from the LFS on C: when in Vista and on D: when in XP. Where the license info is kept, is within the LFS folder directory which would be different depending on which one was used.

Are you sure you are not clicking on the same LFS.exe file when in either OS?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG