The online racing simulator
Need some advice on monitors...
(34 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
I decided to start a new thread because none of the other threads really cover what I want. I've decided I finally need to change monitors, I'm now using my 21" Samsung Syncmaster 1100p at 1280x960 @ 70hz to get rid of the unbearable high pitched ring it makes at higher resolutions/refresh rates.

I need to change monitor and driving half way round the country to pick up decent CRTs that may or may not work properly off ebay isn't really a sensible option. This current monitor also takes up a lot of room on my desk and the weight of it is destroying my desk.

I'd like to switch to a TFT, I need a resolution of at least 1600x1080, 1900x1200 would be nice but not at the expense of image quality for the price.

Unfortunately I think 22" would be my ideal size and for the price this looks tempting, but from what I understand 22" panels are bad. I'd like a good quality image from a widescreen monitor of 20" or greater, absolute maximum budget of £400, but I'd far rather spend under £300 if that's possible. I mostly watch films, play games and do the occasional graphics work so colour reproduction is not essential but I definitely want to be able to at least have a single colour background (would the Dell 22" be good enough for this?) Has anybody got suggestions to what I should be looking at?
#2 - ajp71
Having done a bit more looking I've established that a 20" widescreen would give me about the same width as my current monitor, which would probably be fine for me. Are 20" monitors reasonable or do they use inferior panels like 22"?
#3 - ajp71
Having done a bit more reading it seems that the Dell 2007FP would be the perfect monitor for me. The only issue I've got left is whether to get it off Dell or OcUk, for £100 less, but given my past experience with them I'm not sure if I want to deal with them again.
another option would be the pva eizo 20" and 22" monitors which if im not mistaken about the panel in the dell (pva if im not mistaken) should give the same image quality with less blurring due to a more modern panel
Quote from Shotglass :another option would be the pva eizo 20" and 22" monitors which if im not mistaken about the panel in the dell (pva if im not mistaken) should give the same image quality with less blurring due to a more modern panel

Hey Shot,

Can you recommend a 24" lcd, or somewhere that list what panel = what brand?

Like AJP, I'm in the market for something new, and wondering what the better LCD's are.
#6 - ajp71
The 2007FP was available in both forms, there seems to be a believe on the OcUK forum that these are IPS panels, although it's all a bit vague.

The Eizo ones cost more than my computer cost so they're a bit out of my league I'm afraid

Is there really no other reasonably priced alternative? It seems the new 20" screens are TN, I could happily live with any aspect ratio if there are more 20" than 20.1" but it doesn't seem like there are many to choose from and I can't afford/don't want a 24" or anything smaller than 1600x1200 which leaves the 20" monitors as the only hope that I might actually be satisfied with a TFT
#7 - ajp71
Quote from srdsprinter :Hey Shot,

Can you recommend a 24" lcd, or somewhere that list what panel = what brand?

Like AJP, I'm in the market for something new, and wondering what the better LCD's are.

There's quite a bit of info in this thread and Tom's Hardware did a 24" test not too long ago. If 24" isn't a bit big or pricey there seems to be a much better range of displays available.
Quote from srdsprinter :Can you recommend a 24" lcd, or somewhere that list what panel = what brand?

i dont really pay that much attention to lcds but off the top of my head there are only tns and pvas available in 24" form which leaves you with choosing a newer pva model (in case there are several revisions of the panel)
sadly the only good tft review site i know is in german which wont help you much

Quote from ajp71 :The Eizo ones cost more than my computer cost so they're a bit out of my league I'm afraid

are you sure you looked at the right range of eizos? they have professional colour graphics monitors that cost an arm and a leg and customer oriented ones which should be in the 3-400 pound range
#9 - ajp71
Quote from Shotglass :
are you sure you looked at the right range of eizos? they have professional colour graphics monitors that cost an arm and a leg and customer oriented ones which should be in the 3-400 pound range

A quick search on Google Shopping came up with a S2000 at £700 looking through the results there was one for £500, but they still look too expensive and I couldn't find the 20.1" ones on Google Shopping. Are there better sites to search for monitors than the standard PC parts sites?
i thought you were looking for a 16:10 monitor?
in that catergory theres the 2031we/h and the 2231we/h

the lenovo l220x might also be worth looking into if you dont mind the smallish pixels it should have
Quote from Shotglass :i thought you were looking for a 16:10 monitor?
in that catergory theres the 2031we/h and the 2231we/h

I would probably prefer a widescreen but either would do, the S2000 was just what came up on the Google search which probably gives an idea of the price as I see no reason why widescreens should be cheaper.
they are though
the s2000 is at ~650€ and the widscreens at about 500
the lenovo is in the lower 400s
Is the Lenovo 220x a different panel from other 22" monitors? I guess it probably is seeing as it has a higher resolution, if that's good quality it might be a better buy than the Dell.

How would this screen compare to a 20" Apple screen, there's one for £400 that whilst expensive may be worth the difference?
sorry i really dont know the lenovo seems to be a new display and i havent seen a test yet
as for the eizos they seem to be rather good although the 22" eizos arent perfect and might give you a slight colour variation
as for the apple i have absolutely no idea
Found a place with the Dell 2007WFP for £202, it does seem to be cheap but a bit of googling reveals a mixture of pleased and disgruntled customers with a few fake customers thrown in, which is a bit low really and sounds like dealing with OcUK again, but then again it is cheap and in stock.
I've bought the 2007WFP, an offer too good to turn down
It has come and having checked the serial number it is an ISP panel. It's certainly the best TFT I've seen though I'm not convinced I'd pick it over a CRT to look at, it just seems really bright and harsh on the eyes even at less than 50% brightness. It'll probably be better in the day though and not having to have the table a foot away from the wall just to allow my monitor and keyboard to squeeze onto my table is a good thing. I've also been pleasantly suprised by the height tilt adjustment and the USB ports are a bonus.
I'm planning to buy a Hanns.G 22" wide tft
Check it out

Any opinions on that?
Well it will be a TN panel which will look like dog poo but if you're happy with that then it'll be a big cheap monitor.
Quote from ajp71 :it just seems really bright and harsh on the eyes even at less than 50% brightness.

the specs say it does 300cd/m^2 which is way too much so less than 50% should be a normal setting
that kind of brightness is only useful with direct sunlight on the monitor (imho the only scenario where a tft really shines in comparison to a crt)
I bought a Fujitsu Siemens e22W- 1sa 22" wide monitor. It was cheap, like 200 euros. It's very fine, i see lot more of the track, than before(i had a 17" CRT)
Quote from ajp71 :Well it will be a TN panel which will look like dog poo but if you're happy with that then it'll be a big cheap monitor.

Which panels would you recommend ajp?
I am thinking of upgrading from a 20" Sammy 204BW which I think is a TN panel, (but I cant be sure) to a 22" Dell or similar.
I'm no expert but from what I found the Dell 2007WFP is the only 20" widescreen with a non-TN panel at prices competitive with 22" and cheap 24" monitors. I got it from here, quick delievery and good value.

Most (probably all) 22" monitors are TN panels and should be avoided if you want quality. I didn't really look at 24"+ monitors because they were bigger than I was looking for but if they're what you want then there's a large choice range to suit your needs and budget, probably best to let Shotglass give you some suggestions on that or browse some forums (OcUK is quite good).
i have a 22" Hanns-g and tbh, it is quite a good monitor. maybe a slight exaggeration when saying that they're poo? i know others that would agree with me.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG