The online racing simulator
Custom Tracks
(15 posts, started )
Custom Tracks
Hey, I wanted to ask if you could include custom tracks for the next patch.
Just like Counter Strike Source, when you enter the server you automatically download it, unless you downloaded it off the web already.
It would be great to have a custom made city for cruising, a banger racing dirt track instead of a car park, a replica of brands hatch without needing licenses from them. I'm sure in no time people would start making tracks for their servers as fast as they can.

Also you could allow anybody have 5 tracks uploaded to LFS world (Like car skins). When you enter a server and you don't have the track, you download it straight off LFS world like car skins.

I know it would be ages until you add this if ever, just would be a massive step forward for LFS and so much more fun too.
#2 - dev
You mean a massive step down the hill?

Definitely no!
Quote from dev :You mean a massive step down the hill?

Definitely no!

why not?
#4 - dev
Quote from Ricksta :why not?

Just think about having 13786423 versions of the same track (incompatible of course) + 95% of tracks wouldn't be worth downloading due to low quality or something else...

EDIT: And btw, this was suggested quite a few times already...
Many of the tracks is going to be Crap.
Why not have Build you own map, but use it on singleplayer..
Send it to other and have fun :P
Nah, i dont know, something like that
wow, i can't believe this hasnt been discussed 81242141405 times before. oh wait...
Quote from Ricksta :Hey, I wanted to ask if you could include custom tracks for the next patch.
Just like Counter Strike Source, when you enter the server you automatically download it, unless you downloaded it off the web already.
It would be great to have a custom made city for cruising, a banger racing dirt track instead of a car park, a replica of brands hatch without needing licenses from them. I'm sure in no time people would start making tracks for their servers as fast as they can.

Also you could allow anybody have 5 tracks uploaded to LFS world (Like car skins). When you enter a server and you don't have the track, you download it straight off LFS world like car skins.

I know it would be ages until you add this if ever, just would be a massive step forward for LFS and so much more fun too.

This is a crap Idea because
  • It is impossible to add a track editing feature + multiplayer track downloading 'in the next patch'. You can't just press a button to add that feature. It will take months and months of very hard work to implement it. The devs have more important things they want to do with their time.
  • Downloading a whole track? Think of all the files involved... it would take years to download!
  • Most of the tracks would be crappy tracks because most of the people who want new cars / tracks won't have the skill to make a decent one
...Have you already tried "Racer"?
Imho racer failed because anyone can include anything to the game. I have seen too many "uber leet real batmobile" or "boeing 747 airplane" or "supa lee dorifto fun fun leet leet".

In other words: I would like to have 20 great modelled cars than infinite amount of totally crappy ones. Same goes to tracks.
#9 - nihil
Quote from Gekkibi :...Have you already tried "Racer"?
Imho racer failed ...

Whether it 'failed' or not is a matter of defining your parameters for success.

However, Racer is no longer on my hard drive because the development curve had gone rather flat. As a consequence it became a screenshot generator for 3d modellers, and drivers who were really serious about competition pretty much disappeared.

Since the multiplayer side of Racer was negligible, competition concentrated on sprint and time trial type events. And there was nothing wrong with that. I also think that Racer's ambition to be a 'cross platform' simulation is really worthwhile pursuing. I'm happy to let Ruud get on with it at his own pace, but I hope he's left the code to someone in his will. (I really don't see the point in these independent operations being closed source - one accident means a whole waste of effort... Human vanity....)

I don't think there is anything about any of the moddable projects to show that its not a 'good idea' - its workable, but the very nature of the structure means that it will have a slightly different flavour to a 'closed' solution, and obviously, its not going to be something that works as soon as you tear the wrapping paper off.

LFS has chosen to get development done before even thinking about the possibility of modding. Seems sensible to me - let 'em get on with it (but I do hope they've written a will too)
Quote from nihil :Whether it 'failed' or not is a matter of defining your parameters for success.

Indeed. Like I said, it is my opinion. I think that "open" ideology ruined it, but then again... It is only my opinion.
#11 - _ak
But addons kept GPL alive for years.
#12 - Woz
MODS: Can we just merge this into one of the other custom map threads?
I don't want to start new topic, I found this with search function (I think is only one in thousands...)

When will can make custom tracks and cars?

I make this today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI6jMnnUs3A

I'm driving the shifter kart in real track, and I'm driving mrt in layout... So I can't to do better the track, I need to do custom track and cars, I think that I can do a good job with kart car and this track, because I run on it every weekend

I tried software to make tracks to rFactor, are awesome, but I don't like NOTHING rFactor
Holy thread resurrection. you could've at least chosen a sensinble thread on that topic. You would also have found an answer to your question.

Not anytime soon.

Custom Tracks
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG