The online racing simulator
AI After Drag
(14 posts, started )
AI After Drag
I Was thinking about real drag racing.
Rigth after they hit the finish line they dont suddently brake and stand there like they died.
They drive a road back to their pit.
In lfs we have that road.
what about we make them drive in that and park near there we are when we leave pit.
here is an example (Pretend me as an AI)
Attached files
-TR- CrazyaroX_AU4_BF1_8..spr - 104 KB - 225 views
Extremely minor but it would be nice.
Yeah - accidentally left a few AI on the grid when I went to the strip yesterday to try something - and when they all blew by me and stopped, that's the first thought I had.
So you guys kinda like the idea
Thanks
sure we like all ideas if they are not already mentioned 9999999 trillion times. But since this was the first time i read about that i think it would add some extra realism to LFS!
#6 - wien
As usual though, how important is this? I mean honestly. Everyone keep bringing up all these silly little details that, lets face it, have little impact on the quality of LFS as a simulator. They would take Scawen quite a while to do something about though, so that makes me wonder if you really think this through before posting?

It should be blatantly obvious by now that Scawen's time is very limited. This isn't some huge company that has limitless time and funds so, keeping that in mind, is this really what you want him to work on? Is it that important? Wouldn't, say, a proper damage model be of more use? You're free to propose as many silly little things you like of course, but do you really expect them to be implemented or are you just wasting time?
There is also a small issue with the AI cars turning across you. If you're using 8 Lane Drag, and you're not in the very left-most lane, they're going to have to turn across your straight line from the start at some point or another. Which would be annoying if you were occupying the space they decided they needed to turn through.

Sam
#8 - vane
what would be much, much, much more entertaining would be to get them to keep their throttle on permanently and they all whack into the wall at the end
Quote from vane :what would be much, much, much more entertaining would be to get them to keep their throttle on permanently and they all whack into the wall at the end

I know how to do that with them :P
Quote from wien :As usual though, how important is this? I mean honestly. Everyone keep bringing up all these silly little details that, lets face it, have little impact on the quality of LFS as a simulator. They would take Scawen quite a while to do something about though, so that makes me wonder if you really think this through before posting?

It should be blatantly obvious by now that Scawen's time is very limited. This isn't some huge company that has limitless time and funds so, keeping that in mind, is this really what you want him to work on? Is it that important? Wouldn't, say, a proper damage model be of more use? You're free to propose as many silly little things you like of course, but do you really expect them to be implemented or are you just wasting time?

The thing is if LFS is supposed to be as realistic as possible should all drag racers in real life screech to a halt at the end of the strip until everyone whips out a keyboard from their jackets to press shift-r?

No, its a minor thing that will enhance LFS as a product. Remember LFS is still in Alpha and anything that we notify the devs as a bug/improvement that isn't too hard to implement will make it into future releases. Or are you not concerned/interested with the continued development of the greatest racing sim of all time?
#11 - wien
I'm interested in LFS moving forward where it matters. If Scawen is to run around implementing every whim of the average forum-goer it'll never get off the freaking spot.

Where the AI drivers go after a drag is an extremely minor issue compared to the effort it would likely take to do something with (this most likely isn't a 10 minute fix). With so many other glaring holes in need of plugging that makes is a stupid thing to waste any energy on in my opinion.
Quote from wien :I'm interested in LFS moving forward where it matters. If Scawen is to run around implementing every whim of the average forum-goer it'll never get off the freaking spot.

Where the AI drivers go after a drag is an extremely minor issue compared to the effort it would likely take to do something with (this most likely isn't a 10 minute fix). With so many other glaring holes in need of plugging that makes is a stupid thing to waste any energy on in my opinion.

I don't think so. The aim of LFS is to be as realistic as possible. It didn't take too long for the devs to make AI smarter i.e. driving around the circuit then back into the pits after a race so I don't think it would be too difficult to deploy that same research and development into the drag strip. At the end of the day if someone was to develop a flight simulator but the altitude meter was missing you'd want that put in so that the game is more realistic. To be honest if you are talking about S3, that's not coming for years yet, so a minor update to the AI isn't going to waste too many resources. True I agree things like NOS and other silly suggestions etc are a waste of time and shouldn't be implemented but this one I wholeheartedly agree that this should be something to think about. AI isn't perfect at the moment which is good- as humans aren't perfect either. But when was the last time you personally went to a drag strip and the cars stopped at the end without coming back to the garages/pit bays?
#13 - vane
may i remind you lfs is still in testing, i say let scawen get the bits that make the driving realistic, then work on the minor details in a later patch
Indeed. After all, LFS is online racing simulator. I like that there is option to use AI as practice-target, and it would be better. For example, in SO5 AI crashes when trying to get to the pit-lane. Thus, longer races against AI is impossible on that track. Pity, because it is one of my favorite-tracks.

Oh, well. I know that developers make AI better some day. I can wait.

AI After Drag
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG