Greetings, Dandy Dust (Team Zone 30)
I don't see why some people can't change gear without frying up the clutch
hmm,
that post was
rather hard to
read. Can you see
what I am
saying?

Ok, enough of that. Which of the GTR cars were you racing? Are you sure you were shifting correctly? ie, lifting a little bit before each shift?

Personally, I have never really had any trouble with the clutch in LFS, and when I do, it cools down at a nice pace.
Got to say I agree with you there mate. In the recent IGTC (FZR) race my teamate got hit, tried to recover, clutch burnt out. 6 Laps he had to wait on the side. He didn't do anything crazy when recovering. I have heard from alot of real life racers that there is no way a real clutch would overheat in less than 1 second..... It has seriously ruined alot of GTR races. I would be interested to hear from anyone who drives these cars for real if I am wrong. It's also the same with the SS cars. One spin and your clutch is gone.
Quote from niall09 :hmm, that post was rather hard to read. Can you see what I am saying?

I thought it was a poem.
#6 - Woz
Quote from Dandy Dust :....

sigh.... Just learn to drive with mechanical sympathy. You know, like a REAL race driver has to.

Why is this still coming up. If you mash the clutch, drive with lead feet or otherwise do not drive correctly you will cause damage to your car in some way.

Quote from jasonmatthews :Got to say I agree with you there mate. In the recent IGTC (FZR) race my teamate got hit, tried to recover, clutch burnt out. 6 Laps he had to wait on the side. He didn't do anything crazy when recovering. I have heard from alot of real life racers that there is no way a real clutch would overheat in less than 1 second..... It has seriously ruined alot of GTR races. I would be interested to hear from anyone who drives these cars for real if I am wrong. It's also the same with the SS cars. One spin and your clutch is gone.

A race clutch is not heavy duty at all to save weight in the car. A road clutch can take more abuse. Knowing that would you like me to come and show you how I can burn out the clutch in your road car in seconds? (You will have to foot the repair bill BTW lol)

Race drivers NEVER abuse the clutch or the car. Their JOB is to keep the car going for the race and if they need to nurse the car they will.
#7 - Gil07
Quote from jasonmatthews :Got to say I agree with you there mate. In the recent IGTC (FZR) race my teamate got hit, tried to recover, clutch burnt out. 6 Laps he had to wait on the side. He didn't do anything crazy when recovering. I have heard from alot of real life racers that there is no way a real clutch would overheat in less than 1 second..... It has seriously ruined alot of GTR races. I would be interested to hear from anyone who drives these cars for real if I am wrong. It's also the same with the SS cars. One spin and your clutch is gone.

Jason, from watching the replay, he started accelerating from standstill again in 4th (IIRC), burning the clutch. Sounds about right... He then kept on the throttle, finally burning it off...
The only car I have any clutch problems with is the FBM, and even then that's when I'm not concentrating on my shift timing.

Personally I think the clutch is pretty decent how it is, if you can't drive without frying it you might want to work on the way you're going about your shifts.
It's true though, in the eTM we drive the FZR and even on tracks like AS GP doing a pitstop allways overheats the clutch, just from pulling out of the pitbox. Our last race was at South City and the pitstops were stupid, in this round the pitstops were obviously much worse, some people had about 30-40% clutch heat.

I like the idea of the clutch heat but on some cars it's to extreme and should be fixed.
Yeah..I got massive clutch problem on XF GTR...This clutch overheat so easy when I'm driving this car.I gotta ask something: Does anyone ever heard of someone losing a race because of clutch overheating in real life?If not...why some people do in LFS?
#11 - wien
Less driver skill in LFS is part of it, but yes I have heard of someone retiring with a fried clutch in real life. Especially in higher powered touring car championships without fancy gearboxes and aids (Australian V8 Supercars for instance) this is prone to happen.
#12 - SamH
I'm having no major problems with the clutch heat. The only thing I've had to change is to get into the routine of checking the heat every now and again - but since I'm already checking tyre temps, I got into the routine to check the clutch at the same time. I've found that changing the way I shift easily fixes potential problems and heat management is a doddle (at the cost of overall speed, granted).

That said, I don't think the clutch is right yet. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between light surface heat and "deep heat", for lack of a better term.. and therefore there doesn't seem to be a difference between sitting heavily on the clutch and sitting lightly on it. For example, sitting on the clutch on a very slight incline should not overheat the clutch as much as sitting on a steep incline, when maintaining a stationary position. While the rotational speed difference between the plates may be the same, the pressure on the plates is different. However, in LFS it seems to be the amount of *time* slipping the clutch, not *pressure* on it which is generating the heat in this model. Gentle use of the clutch on pit exit should not cause the problems it does now.

I'm not complaining.. it's brought a new dimension to racing. When you understand how the model works, you can work within its confines. But I look forward to the model changing a little, and being a bit more realistic
Wait... people have issues with the clutch?! THe only issues I've had were in IGTC practice, where I spun and just said piss it and laid on the throttle. Even me flatshifting the FZR for about 25 laps around KY2 didn't give me any ill effects. I dunno, I still have no issues with it, unless I really try.
Rev up and get em spinning. Not to say you need to peel out, but just spin untill your moving a few clicks, then breathe out and gas it. That will keep you from slipping the clutch too much.
If you have problems with burning up the clutch in any car, you are simply a bad driver.

While I do think that the clutch burns a little too easily, I also think that constant poor shifting during a "45lap lague race" will lead to clutch failure.

Edit: I'd like to mention that I really like the fact that the current clutch system really hurts those who can't shift properly.
#16 - SamH
Quote from luftrofl :If you have problems with burning up the clutch in any car, you are simply a bad driver.

I wouldn't say they're "a bad driver", but since it is well known that the damage can be minimised to the point of irrelevence (as PAracer describes), I'd say that they are "slow to adapt".
I use autoclutch. Only time it overheats is when I try to fry it. Even if I redline the clutch, it only takes a few laps of carefull shifting to get it back to normal temperature.

Replays of your clutch malfunctions would be interesting viewing material. Or maybe you are too ashamed to show us how bad shifters you are?
i actually dont mind the clutch the feature, i cant really compare it to heavy duty clutches as im not stupid enough to drive in a way which would burn them out in real life, but with a less heavy duty clutches, ive seen clutches go pretty bloody quick, even in cars with low amounts of torque. if u shift properly u wont have any issues.
Ive never had a major problem with my clutch unless i was mucking around then i did. Ive fried it during a pitstop once by revving throughout the entire pit stop, i learnt my lesson from that.
Though some cars are worse then others, but adds a new angle to LFS that other games dont have.
During shifting, the clutch heat is no problem unless I try to abuse it. If I try, I can melt a clutch in three shifts.

Pulling away is the issue - if I'm driving bad/get unlucky and have to pit two times within a few laps, 4 laps of 50% throttle ensue. I think Sam raised a very good point, although I've not done any testing to really confirm his idea.
#21 - Woz
All the people that believe the clutch cooks too quick. Post a replay of your driving along with your setup.

I bet for most of you it will be that your 1st is geared too high, pulling away in wrong gear or you just slip the clutch too much.

I can take any of the GTR cars to the straight on BL and do 5+ full race starts from still through to 3rd back to back and still not cook or get any real temp into the clutch. I just don't understand how you do it.

Quote from luftrofl :Edit: I'd like to mention that I really like the fact that the current clutch system really hurts those who can't shift properly.

Same here. Can't wait for all the other abuse type damage to get implemented
Quote from Woz :Same here. Can't wait for all the other abuse type damage to get implemented

lfs is SUCK!!1!1111

no gerbox brakesoeesily IRL!!!1
i can drove hole day wiw my car no breka
brung bak aptch Y!!111!!1!!11
[/whiny "racer"]

Think, how many such threads will come in the future
I just cant wait for drivetrain/gearbox damage for too aggressive downshifts (really.. downshifting INTO the change up rev-zone?), steering failures caused by contact, tyres jumping off rims via too low pressure, etc.

I flatshift nearly all cars all the time.. no problem (except in very few exceptions).
Burned cluthch? How about you exit pits without doing it with your foot on the floor? Try easing out of the pits like... REAL DRIVERS DO?

How bout hitting the clutch/neutral when you crash or when you spin, instead of spinning around at 200kph with the gas pedal on the floor and in 6th gear? Or pulling away in 1st gear instead of 5th?

If you use auto-clutch, you'll be slipping the clutch for 30 seconds on a 490hp engine, what did you expect? I'd expect a busted tranny, not just a melted clutch. Do YOU start your RL car in 4th gear and then floor the accelerator and release slowly the clutch to get going? You try to do that twice, then send me the repair bill, ok?
People who defend this error is just doing nothing to contribute to development of the game.

The clutch is wrong designed and period.

Point me something in the real racing world that behaves like this. There is not.

I used to considered LFS the most amazing simulation I could drive, but after the magnific clutch project I saw me obligated to use automatic gears, and the immersion went away a bit.

The clutch is wrong, and there is nothing wrong with the way I drive.

I'm not so fast like the top-master-ets on the net, but I drive well and I know how to change gears, with or without autoclutch.

This behavior is wrong. Once it get red there is no way to back to orange.

The ammount of waste is absurd too. Where in the real world there is so weak clutch?

Clutch are made to resist hard work, under high temperatures, high degree of slipage and high acceleration, positive and negative.

Scawen should put his proud aside once in a while and go back to old format, at least it was driveable.

The complaint proceeds, and I know a lot of top racers that are using autogears cause that.
#25 - Jakg
Quote from Speed Soro :The complaint proceeds, and I know a lot of top racers that are using autogears cause that.

LOL.

I think your way off there...
This thread is closed

Clutch, still!
(184 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG