The online racing simulator
Pit Exit/Entry lane penalties
Ok I couldn't find anything about this in a search but..

How about automatic penalties.. say a drive through or something if when you exit the pits you cross the yellow line of the pit lane exit channel?

I often see a lot of drivers coming straight out of the pits in race and swinging straight across the track on to the racing line even though the pit lane exit is keeping them over to one side for a period.

On a related note. There needs to be some tweeking of the pit lane exits as some take you straight out on to the racing line, (with the obvious issues of colliding with people racing), which to the best of my knowlege doesn't ever occur on a real race track.
Quote from gezmoor :
How about automatic penalties.. say a drive through or something if when you exit the pits you cross the yellow line of the pit lane exit channel?

+1
Gets my vote
Quote from bumper :
would also be cool if we can detect this via insim, so that custom rules may be applied.

You can.
I acutally think i'll add this to my server program seen in my sig. Might take some time tho.
Nope, not packet. Nor is there anything in any packet, but it can be done with the MCI packet and a little maths.
Position on the track is all you need, Unless you dont know much about programming.

struct CompCar // Car info in 28 bytes - there is an array of these in the MCI (below)
{
word Node; // current path node
word Lap; // current lap
byte PLID; // player's unique id
byte Position; // current race position : 0 = unknown, 1 = leader, etc...
byte Info; // flags and other info - see below
byte Sp3;
[SIZE=3][B]int X; // X map (65536 = 1 metre)[/B][/SIZE]
[B][SIZE=3]int Y; // Y map (65536 = 1 metre)[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3]int Z; // Z alt (65536 = 1 metre)[/SIZE][/B]
word Speed; // speed (32768 = 100 m/s)
word Direction; // direction of car's motion : 0 = world y direction, 32768 = 180 deg
word Heading; // direction of forward axis : 0 = world y direction, 32768 = 180 deg
short AngVel; // signed, rate of change of heading : (16384 = 360 deg/s)
};

If you use the X,Y,Z, You can get there position anywhere on the track

E: I have just thought of a very easy and effective way to do this, And i shall.
I acutally was planning on getting the width of the pitlane and then the width of the line against the opisit side of the pit line.

Wall........Pit wall....Track.....Far wall
|_________|______________|

Get the width of the distance from the wall and the pitwall and then check they dont get further. LFS InSim is very limited tbh...
hmmm... I acutally think im gonna leave this idea. I have far too much other stuff planned atm, Thats pretty complex stuff too. I'll see once i get them done.
i remember i was racing once in a server that already had this app... but i don't remember the name of that server, it was a custom app done by the guy hosting i think

Anyway +1 to this, i can't understand why this isn't in LFS yet
It'd need to be a server-option, and preferably with adjustable penalties, but it's a good idea

+1

Sam
Its a little more than just a percentage of the track there Sean, but all in all it is possible... It would take some time though so yea
Well that's a positive response.

I too, have to admit that I don't get why it isn't already standard on LFS hosts. I mean it's a very basic principle in real racing as far as I can see. Overstep the pit exit line and you'll have some sort of penalty.
bump... come on, anyone more who thinks it's a good idea?
#14 - Jakg
Isn't this feature already in LFS Lapper?
a good idea
but should everyone, who think it's good, make a post about it, you would only have a lot of posts with "+1" in them

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG