The online racing simulator
need help, plz
(16 posts, started )
need help, plz
hello..can someone give some advices on how to control rwd cars?
i play with the keyboard and before someone tell me to get a wheel, i must say that i'm a demo player yet, only will get one when buying the license.

i can't make a corner without losing the rear...and when trying to set the car right i end up doing a spun.

i know i must be gentle with the throtle...i have set the button control rate to 2.0...but the problem remains.

Any advice please.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
if you are still learning, dont try going fast, just try being in control.

you are alot less likely to spin if you take it easy and try and be as smooth as possible. smoothness is obviously the key here, so this is tricky with keys.

as you are a demo racer, and in beginners forum, i am assuming you are relatively new to the game so much of your problems will likely be resolved over time and practice. you are basically climbing the learning curve, LFS can take quite a bit of getting used to.

like i said, brake earlier, try not to lock the brakes, then turn in as smoothly as possible. to help this you could maybe reduce brake force to stop lock ups, and also reduce the steering angle of your setup so that your turns are not as harsh.

however, if you have any analogue devices, try using them for steering.
#3 - richy
hi i am still having these problems but im just about learning to handle them i use analogue braking so that helps a lot on the trail braking.

ok, if im wrong on this (im just a beginner too) then im sure i will be corrected by the good guys but here goes, being in the right gear helps and having a nice rev count too, this means you can adjust your throttle and power nicely to keep the car going where you want it... but i dont know how much it matters...

so far i been trying to do this by 1) borrowing peoples setups and 2) taking a good line, watch others to see what they are doing 3) trying to get the car round the apex on momentum before needing to use the throttle.

you can do this by making sure you brake at the right point and keep braking as you turn into the apex, without locking up the wheels or going too wide. this is the trail braking thing, it helps get grip on the front and get the nose of the car round the corner nicely so you dont have to be turning too much when you use the throttle.

in things like chicanes i will keep the throttle down until i start to turn then i release it a bit because the cars seem to want to slide out if you go over a strange surface like a chicane with full throttle down.

but you got to remember that backing off the trottle too much in places will unbalance the car too and make it twitchy so its nice to be at a constant speed into the turn so when you come out you just drive away?

i hope that makes sense and is even how it works
hi.
i've been playing lfs for a few months, but never gave a chance to the others cars, only played with the XFG.
Now i wanna start making farter times with the other 2 cars and damn...i can complete one lap without making a spin.
the lower speed corners are the problems, it's impossible to me to throttle in the middle of the corner.

i'm using a plain keyboard and i know that several guys with keys can race with the rwd cars...i wonder how they do it.

thnks
Its a case of "tapping the keys like a madman" technique. Dont hold your fingers down until you're totally straight, and going through corners you need to "tap" the accelerate key to keep it at half / medium throttle.

Thats how I used to kb anyway.
Everyone has the same experiences with low speed corners in RWD cars. Particularly powerful ones. A good setup will make a big difference but really you do have to be patient before getting on the throttle in 2nd gear corners.

If you do get on the throttle a bit early, then a quick jab of opposite lock at the same moment you get on the throttle will often keep the back in check. You will feel the steering FFB pull the wheel in the direction of the opposite lock. It really does tell you when you need to put the quick jab of lock in. This is how the really fast guys drive.

If you get on the throttle more than just a tiny bit early, i.e. well before you've started to unwind the lock, then you'll end up facing the wrong direction whatever you do.
#7 - garph
You always going to have big problems using keybaord with RWD cars not matter what you do.

Only thing I can suggest is try using a higher gear to corner with, the lower revs might stop things from spinning up so quickly.
Just understand that you are never going to get to the fast times with a K/B. Just relax, take it steady and learn your car and the track. You'll soon find yourself notching up P/B's. Oh yea, READ THE MANUAL!!!

Many peeps seem to be asking questions as noobs that I kinda answered for myself by READING THE MANUAL!!. Learnabout setups and how things effect the handling of cars. Even if you manage to snaffle a Setup from someone else it still helps to know what your doind with it . . .

Setting up your car, for me at least, is half the fun. With LFS being an Alpha there are certain things that you do need pointers and help with but overall READING THE MANUAL really helps . . .
Quote from Funnybear :...READ THE MANUAL!!!....

There is no "official" manual, and the new guys probably don't know about all the "UNofficial" manuals out there.

To all the new guys, search for the LFS Manual Wiki I think posted as a sticky in the beginner's section. Also, take a look into Bob Smith's signature in any of his posts and check out his setup manual. I think it may even be part of the Wiki as well.
hey, am no expert at rwd with the keyboard, but looking at the hotlap chart it seems v17 can drive with one, in the sccc team forum there is a section called project kam, where v17 has posted his control settings, maybe try that, it might help
http://host1.ther1.com/~sccc/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1003
#11 - th84
v17 is a fast cat!!! i miss racing with him back in the s1 demo days!! from what i hear sccc's kam thingy is very helpful for kb'ers!!

wow, smack has made a apperance!!!
Quote from th84 :v17 is a fast cat!!! i miss racing with him back in the s1 demo days!! from what i hear sccc's kam thingy is very helpful for kb'ers!!

wow, smack has made a apperance!!!

Wow also!!! Where have you been? Get out there and race with us . Last time I saw you, we were just messing around on an autocross circuit
hi thanks for the replys and i think i got...i'll never be able to drive well with the keys,like most guys said, the corners with 2nd gear are reaaly hard to make...

this is what i have in a few tries, but it's damn hard to control the car.

"Its a case of "tapping the keys like a madman" technique. Dont hold your fingers down until you're totally straight, and going through corners you need to "tap" the accelerate key to keep it at half / medium throttle."

Lol...this quick tapping needs a lot of practice...i think my brain would blow before achive this technique.

Can someone check my awful driving?
Attached files
Fujiwara_BL1_XRT_12902.spr - 155.1 KB - 142 views
Quote from fujiwara :Can someone check my awful driving?

Checked. I made a little testdrive with that set. Havent played with kb for a looong time and Im kinda stoned but it felt quite tricky with kbYour driving wasnt that awful, I think you've got the "tap like a madman" idea.. just need more practice and try different control settings (Steer rate, Return Rate etc) to find what suits best for you.

Here's some basic set, not the fastest but pretty easy to drive. And other set for BL rallycross, try that also.. I think it's good for learning RWD to drive some rally
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_^aBL_GP.set - 132 B - 142 views
XR GT TURBO_^aBLrally.set - 132 B - 142 views
hey Tukko, i tryed your setups(well, only the BL GP), but the control problems
remains.

I tryed a different kb settings, but it's hard, if i set a higher value in steer rate, i need a high value of return rate and i'm not used to play with high return rates(i don't the wheel to return that fast), if i set a lower value in steer rate, the driving is more smooth but more dificult to manage, i even tryed the KN option only to find out the nightmare of that thing.

Goona keep trying...but that 2nd gear is really making me lose my patiente.
here's an XRT setup i got from a keyboarder when i went back to demo for a run yesterday

personally i steer with a mouse but still use kb for throttle and brake, so indeed i know the "tap like a madman" on some of the corners. also tyre pressures are very important. my button control rate is around 4.8 i believe. must be working, i have 1 WR
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_kb bw.set - 132 B - 152 views

need help, plz
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG