The online racing simulator
G25 or Act Labs Pedal and shifter?
At the moment i've got the DFP, it's great, I'm playing LFS and GTR2.

But i'm seriously looking for a 5/6 speed and clutch option.

Now I could either go for a Act labs pedal and shifter with the DFP wheel, or just get the G25.

Alot of people say the G25 shifter is flimsy but i've heard equally bad things about the plastic in the Act labs shifter, pedals seem unmentioned in what i've searched.

Basically i'm looking for advice, they're both priced about the same where i am, and what i'm looking for is the most true to life feel i can get (on my budget)

Anyone got any experiences they can tell me about in this area?
#2 - Jakg
The G25 wheel ROCKS, as do the pedals - i've had some ACT Labs pedals, and i wish i hadn't, they felt good, but ATE springs continually. The G25's pedals were better, although the brake is a little softer.

Go for the G25.
Stop bashing the Act Labs pedals Jakg. The old Act Labs pedals might of been bad, but the current model is much better. The current model is an Advantage1 design and they are mostly metal and very sturdy.
What comes to the shifter I think yet again that the Act Labs shifter is also better than the one in G25. I have the Act Labs shifter and it feels really good and solid. Sure it has some plastic parts which may break over time. But mine has endured about 1 years worth of heavy duty abuse now and it still feels good as new.
Only thing G25 has going for it is the wheel part itself. It's better than the DFP.
Anyway I am going to buy the Act Labs pedals soon myself to fill my DFP + AL Shifter combo.

Disclaimer: Experiences on Act Labs pedals and G25 are based on hearsay only.
-
(Tigershark) DELETED by Tigershark
I have the older Act Pedals and Shifter and they still work after about 3 years I think. The only problem I have is that the pedals seem to be very finicky about calibration. They work well without any calibration and setting up calibration messes up the values. The potentiometers seem to give very "jumpy" values. That is why I wanted to invest in the G25 but from what I am reading here on this thread, things are looking so good for the G25. I still want to try it though.

My Logitech MOMO Racing is perfect in terms of the potentiometer. Never needs calibration and it is still 100% accurate after about 3 years. Very important for me.

Are the pedals in the G25 accurate? How bad is the G25 shifter?
#5 - Jakg
Quote from Gargantula :Are the pedals in the G25 accurate? How bad is the shifter?

Pedals are spot on, the shifter feels a little flimsy, but to be fair the wheel and the pedals feel GREAT, and could almost justify the price on their own.

People seem to assume the G25 is a DFP with a clutch and a shifter - it's got better FFB and pedals, too!
Can anyone confirm that the G25 works on a PS2? I saw it listed on Logitech's web site as both a PC and PS2 accessory. That would be nice so that I can use it in racing games on the PS2, such as the Gran Turismo series and the Burnout series. I have an Alienware Gaming Pad that works on the PS2 and PC and it is very convenient since I have the PS2 and PC hooked up to the same PC monitor (with a RTV VEG-N unit) and I switch between the two platforms often.
Quote from Gargantula :Can anyone confirm that the G25 works on a PS2? I saw it listed on Logitech's web site as both a PC and PS2 accessory. That would be nice so that I can use it in racing games on the PS2, such as the Gran Turismo series and the Burnout series. I have an Alienware Gaming Pad that works on the PS2 and PC and it is very convenient since I have the PS2 and PC hooked up to the same PC monitor (with a RTV VEG-N unit) and I switch between the two platforms often.

it does, the 6 speed doesn't though... yet
Very nice to know! Thanks! Now I really want a Logitech G25 racing set.
Quote from Gargantula :Very nice to know! Thanks! Now I really want a Logitech G25 racing set.

I just ordered the RS2006 pedals from Act Labs. They will be in Monday and I will post my review after I have had them a week or so.

According to Act Labs they are exactly the same as the A1GT Advantage1 (that are about 100 US dollars more) pedals except the A1GT's are made in Austrailia by order and the RS2006s are made by lot in china. Same components and are metal as well. Plus you can buy pedal pads for them from a local auto store or get a nice set of Sparco/MOMO pedal pads from Ebay or a racing shop.

As far as a shifter i am going to get a Lightning SST. Super fast and made of metal components. It isn't a realistic shifter. It is made for sim racing performance. A lot of people i've heard say that it is the best shifter you can buy for sim racing. I've tried the Act Labs shifter and didn't like it. I did like the old act labs pedals and everybody i've heard talk about the new ones say they are really good as well.

I am going to keep my DFP for now since I am well used to it.
what are your thoughts on the new ACT labs pedals?

I am thinking of upgrading to a G25 so I can have a 3 pedal setup, but am very tempted to buy these RS2006 pedals instead & keep my momo red.
Quote from anttt69 :what are your thoughts on the new ACT labs pedals?

I am thinking of upgrading to a G25 so I can have a 3 pedal setup, but am very tempted to buy these RS2006 pedals instead & keep my momo red.

I really do like my RS2006 pedals. Though, I'm going to be trying a set of the new fanatec Clubsport Pedals soon.

More features and the same price as the RS2006 pedals. They are coming soon in Febuary for USA and UK. Looking at the specs I don't see how any other pedal can come close to them right now for the price.

If you are thinking about a shifter this is very hard to beat any price. Very tough piece of gear.

http://www.sim-gear.com/794354.html
Quote from MijnWraak :Ye I can vouch for the SST Lightning; it's a very good shifter
SRT said the act labs felt like a toy compared to SST.

I borrowed a guys Act Labs shifter before I bought the SST and I agree. Compared to the SST it feels like a toy. The A1 designed Act Labs RS2006 are much better quality then the shifter. You not going to break the SST. Throw it against a brick wall. Pick it up. Plug it in and use it. J/K. Don't try that. It is tough though.
Quote from jbirdaspec :I really do like my RS2006 pedals. Though, I'm going to be trying a set of the new fanatec Clubsport Pedals soon.

More features and the same price as the RS2006 pedals. They are coming soon in Febuary for USA and UK. Looking at the specs I don't see how any other pedal can come close to them right now for the price.

Would you say the RS2006 pedals are better than the G25 pedals? (worth the price difference?)

Also on price the RS2006 come in @ $168 US & the Clubsport @ 200euro?

For me in the UK the RS2006 work out about £50 cheaper than the club sport pedals which is a bit of a difference.
Quote from anttt69 :Would you say the RS2006 pedals are better than the G25 pedals? (worth the price difference?)

Also on price the RS2006 come in @ $168 US & the Clubsport @ 200euro?

For me in the UK the RS2006 work out about £50 cheaper than the club sport pedals which is a bit of a difference.

Reason they would be better would be build quality.

Keep in mind on the RS2006 pedals you have to buy a 35 USD USB adapter too.
When will the Fanatec Pedals hit the shores of the USA?
Quote from anttt69 :When will the Fanatec Pedals hit the shores of the USA?

Feb 15th is the shipping date on the Fanatec web store.

I'm actually debating on getting these or building a set from the CST DIY guide. But, I think I might end up saving my time and getting the Fanatecs... we will see..
Shipping has been changed to 15th March .
Quote from anttt69 :Shipping has been changed to 15th March .

Hmm. Better off getting g25 then
Quote from MijnWraak :Hmm. Better off getting g25 then

Nothing wrong with a G25. It's a good set of controls. I would still hold out though. While their is nothing wrong with the G25 it's pedals are dated compared to what Fanatec is pushing to the mainstream market. Logitech will have to follow suit. When they do the G25's pedals will be even more dated.

IMO the pedals are more important then the wheel. This is the first time (it seems) that a mainstream company is going to focus on the pedals more then the norm.

I am sad to see the Clubsports are delayed. Hopefully so they can be all they are promised to be.

jay
-
(Gnomie) DELETED by Gnomie
Quote from jbirdaspec :Nothing wrong with a G25. It's a good set of controls. I would still hold out though. While their is nothing wrong with the G25 it's pedals are dated compared to what Fanatec is pushing to the mainstream market. Logitech will have to follow suit. When they do the G25's pedals will be even more dated.

IMO the pedals are more important then the wheel. This is the first time (it seems) that a mainstream company is going to focus on the pedals more then the norm.

I am sad to see the Clubsports are delayed. Hopefully so they can be all they are promised to be.

jay

I wouldn't say dated. For the money, they're the best you can get. The fanatec ones are JUST the pedals for 200 euros, and are delayed for march, which is why I suggested g25 instead of waiting to spend more money. Who knows, those pedals could suck! Noone has had their hands (er, feet?) on them, so spending a lot more money on one piece of hardware and waiting 4 months just to do so is, imo, not a very safe bet.
Quote from MijnWraak :I wouldn't say dated. For the money, they're the best you can get. The fanatec ones are JUST the pedals for 200 euros, and are delayed for march, which is why I suggested g25 instead of waiting to spend more money. Who knows, those pedals could suck! Noone has had their hands (er, feet?) on them, so spending a lot more money on one piece of hardware and waiting 4 months just to do so is, imo, not a very safe bet.

I might have been a bit hasty to say 'dated' in terms of sim racing. I accept that. It was released over 2 years ago with no big brother wheel released yet. Soon it will not be king of the hill in the mainstream market. Let me say though. The wheel it self isn't really what will be dated. It is the pedals. They are based on old technology that is really quite dated already. Brush POTs being the key argument here. Pedals are the most important part. A lot of the reason I focus on pedals is because they have been neglected in comparison to wheel technology. There are lots and lots of good wheels out there. The DFP the poster has is a good wheel. I know a couple of really fast guys that use this wheel. The G25 won't make you faster. Neither will Hall Mag POTS and loadcells from less dated tech. But they will give a better connection to the game and combined practice can make better lap times easier to be faster at. Especially pedals.

If you have a wheel that works I would hold out and see where the market goes. It smells like over due change is in the air to me.

Jay
I agree with jbirdaspec about the importance of pedals. Without decent pedals (and good pedal control!) it's nearly impossible to maintain the balance of the car, which is all important for smooth driving. Doesn't matter how good the wheel is if the pedals don't match!

As you say the Clubsport pedals are quite pricey. But the pedals + the GT3 RS wheel is surprisingly cheap as a package, knowing that the 911 GT3 RS wheel is essentially the same as the 911 Turbo. So if I were to buy a new wheel + pedals anytime soon I'd definitely consider that instead of a G25.

That said, the G25 pedals have enormous potential for modding! This can really improve them A LOT. There's plenty of info out there about how this can be done.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG