The online racing simulator
Do you use Names Above Cars?
(55 posts, started )

Poll : Names Above Cars or Names Off?

Names Above Cars
Names Off
I have it on, just so I know who to ban when they ram me.
I have it off, just seems to get in my way for some reason.
I use names-over-cars and often drive with the racing line on unless I've perfected a track I really wish both features were not available because they're not realistic. But I guess you have to draw a line somewhere.

I find names over cars it's a definite advantage once you get to know different player's driving styles.

Also, with the driving line on it's very easy to use it as a marker for braking instead of relying on objects off of the track.
yeah i do, because it makes then i can see "driverblah" ahead of me and remember that he's an idiot, so i'll be extra cautious . Or Maybe i see driverr43f33r2, and i'll know its safe to race him hard, because he's a good driver.
Never. If you race IRL you don´t see any name above the cars, so in LFS, I turn names off. Maybe it´s useful, but not realistic. The more realistic, the better.
I'm in the "sometimes" club on this one.

I can't even justify it. Just sometimes I like to see who I'm passing/getting owned by and sometimes I don't care
I like to turn them off, makes it look more realistic, just like i never drove road cars with digital speedo..
I'm quite surprised to see that such a large number of racers have names turned on! I might tap the N key a few times if I'm about to lap someone and would like to know who it is before I do. Other than that I never race with names above cars. The position list is enough for me to work out who's who.
yep i do have it on all the name.
so i can know who hit me or watever
Always On. I like to know who i'm racing with, whether it be Schumacher or my granny.
Back when I used to drive from chase cam (used to, let's not open that can of worms again ), if someone was right on my bumper their name obscured 50% of my view. People with really long names could even be in my blind spot and have the same effect.

So to discourage chase cam drivers, change your name to something with 60+ characters.
Where is the "I dont know" option? Seriously, I dont remember if I drive with names on or not.
FPS eater so i dont use. If i need to work out whos infront i might hit N a few times.
Quote from Danke :Back when I used to drive from chase cam (used to, let's not open that can of worms again )

So to discourage chase cam drivers, change your name to something with 60+ characters.

:rolleyes:
#42 - T!m0
Names on because i'd like to know which people i race, skins aren't useful as an identifying feature. I'd like to see an option to have names on in one color.
What i noticed as well while racing quite a lot on CTRA SS1 that with names on you can see your opponents easier in the FBM from cockpit perspektive. While the chassis is to high on the sides to see the car of someone beside and slightly behind you, you already able to see the name when he's approaching.
I have names on so i know who to shout ore who to rant at ore wo to say sorry to
All the time, I don't really need it in proper league races lke the eTM but I just keep it on due to force of habbit, but on CTRA servers and such, you really need to know if that spun out car infront of you is someone for position or someone who just left the pits midrace, or whether the car your catching is for position or not.
I usually turn it on on team practice sessions, so I can tell who is who, but normally I keep it turned off, especially during racing.
Always. Just need to know who i crash/ to i need to say sry.
I always have mine turned off, Simple Shift + F. I don't like seeing the map, or my position. I like trying to remember it all. Same goes for other people, since I can't see their names... well, I can't whack anyone for hating them.
Quote from The Radness :.... and that a simple press of a mythical "search" button would have proved benificial?

lol, yeah, pretty much so, but also wondering why so many people, so intent on realism (see the "we're so glad we're so hardcore club " or whatever its called...), are so eager to personalise the car in front of them.... While I never used them, digital speedos were infinitely more likely to exist in any road car than this names gadget.

Quote from Bawbag :you really need to know if that spun out car infront of you is someone for position or someone who just left the pits midrace, or whether the car your catching is for position or not.

Why?

As a driver its your responsibility to deal with the car in front whatever the situation. If its slow - pass it. If its erratic - pass it. If its faster than you - ... ok, that may not usually apply to someone of your rep! (note to devs... PITBOARD please)

Quote from Ca18Slider :well, I can't whack anyone for hating them.

Exactly.
I voted for off. But actually they're on. But because I hide the HUD, they're not visible, but if something happens and I want to know a name, I quickly turn on the HUD and then I can check.
Quote from NitroNitrous :Never. If you race IRL you don´t see any name above the cars, so in LFS, I turn names off. Maybe it´s useful, but not realistic. The more realistic, the better.

If you are racing in real life however, you generally know all the opponents you are racing against by sight. Even if you know the skins, the limitations on resolution can make them difficult to pick out.

Do you use Names Above Cars?
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG