The online racing simulator
own setup or better driving?
(9 posts, started )
hi!

After a few months of absence i want to get back to LFS, but not just for a few fun races... Instead i'd like to do it 'real'.
What I mean is that I also want to start making my own setups and really understand what me and the car are doing when on a track.

But somehow I've always wondered if making your own setup is really that beneficial for becoming faster, because I think that there's always a 'perfect' setup for any car/track and that ultimately, you'd get better if you just learned to drive with that 'perfect' setup instead of making it 'worse' just so you can handle the car at the limit. I think this is especially true for simulations since you can't get hurt, so you don't need an 'easier' setup for safety reasons.

I guess it's probably just a 'type' thing - some prefer track time to improve their driving, some like to spend their time in the garage fiddling with the setup...

So what do you think? Is any way 'better' than the other? What would your advice be to someone who doesn't know what 'type' he is?
I don't think there is one universally perfect setup everyone can drive a WR with. Different people prefer/are faster with different settings.

It's a mix of both if you ask me.
yeah but is it really worth sacrificing the car's potential just for your personal preference?
If you can't use the car's full potential because of your driving style? Yes, of course.
But still it would be more efficient to spend the time adjusting your driving style, no? At least in the long run I'd say. Of course you'll get faster faster with a different set, but then you'll hit a 'barrier' at some point because the car just can't go faster. And then you'll need to get closer to that 'perfect' set and learn to drive it anyway if you want to improve further.
noone else wants to say something? why is it that my posts never get much attention, am I just being stupid?
Hi. First you need a setup that you feel confident in it. If you cant drive consistent its not the setup that will help you. Maybe a easy setup helps, but its not good for fast laps.
With experience you learn to use the crazy hard fast setups, but just go easy until. Dont go crazy
I understand what you mean. If you want a WR, then i guess you shouldnt let your personal preferences go into the middle, because WR is all about perfection - Unless there are two equally fast ways to make a curve -. Maybe you could start with a easy set, so you can feel comfortable with the car and track, then as you said, when you feel youre reaching the limit, you might want to change to a set that was made for the track, despite your personal preferences.
The car and the driver are merely parts of an overall system. If one of the parts isn't working in harmony with the other, the system is not functioning optimally.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG