The online racing simulator
Grid - Official Topic
(155 posts, started )
Grid - Official Topic
For anyone who doesn't know, Race Driver has replaced TOCA as Codemasters racing franchise and the newest video has just been released. Gameplay this time as well.

LINK

Now I wasn't all that convinced by the first video, but this one is looking a bit nicer. It shows some examples of weight transfer and body roll, although obviously until there's at least a demo out it's going to be impossible to say how good it's actually likely to be. Maybe a little too much focus on crashing, but it does show some decent damage modelling.

I liked TOCA3 and although it was very heavy on the driving aids, it was good fun to play a lot of different race styles. And there's a brief clip of an open-wheeler in this Grid clip.
Not too sure about the cockpit view though - it looks like it suffers from the same poor visibility that GTR does, and I'm not a big fan.

Muscle | Touring | Dorifto | Cockpit View

Coming out on PC, 360 and PS3

Recommended PC Spec (estimated)
Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz / Athlon X2 3800+
1Gb RAM
GeForce 7800 / Radeon x1800 or better
Dual-layer (DVD9) compatible DVD drive
looks nice.
This game is looking great, it looks so smooth graphically and frame rate wise
Indeed
Its just going to be coling mcrae dirt but toca series style.
It looks really good, however, i am not expecting something decent from the physics department.
Looks sweet, when i saw the begining of the trailer i thought "great, street racing and drift woot >.<" but then i saw the racing cars at Le sarthe which makes me a happy person :P

I saw somewhere before, they was making a game called "Race Driver ONE" which was gonna include all the touring series like btcc DTM etc.
Quote from LFSn00b :Min specs of the game anyone?

If you're asking, it's probably going to be close
The last decent car game Codemasters made was 1nsane, and that was 7 years ago.
Quote from (-Mark-) :Looks sweet, when i saw the begining of the trailer i thought "great, street racing and drift woot >.<" but then i saw the racing cars at Le sarthe which makes me a happy person :P

I saw somewhere before, they was making a game called "Race Driver ONE" which was gonna include all the touring series like btcc DTM etc.

they changed the name.
I dunno, I still like TOCA3 and that was 2006.
Wasn't impressed with the the latest McRae though - I still think #2 is the best in that series.

I keep hoping that the world is starting to go more realistic now with Forza 2's physics and stuff, but I think I might be asking a bit much. Obviously it's never gonna compete with LFS in terms of physics, but I don't expect anything to
Certainly looks good, but I imagine it will have arcadey handling.
It all went downhill after TOCA 2, the most annoying thing I found about RD is that once you get enough points you leave a championship, you can't carry it on for as a long as you want. I probably won't like this game, but I will get it because I am a total sucker for racing games on my xbox.
Quote from Dajmin :

I keep hoping that the world is starting to go more realistic now with Forza 2's physics and stuff, but I think I might be asking a bit much. Obviously it's never gonna compete with LFS in terms of physics, but I don't expect anything to

I thought the same somehow, but i guess we don't think like the "normal gamer" does.

I had a debate with some guy on another forum, about realism of games these days. Basically he was saying how good NFS ProStreet would be etc...

When i came up with stuff like Forza and LFS, he wasn't impressed at all, because they would be too much "sim style".

There are many people who still prefer arcade physics, especially on the console market. And i think game developers are aware of that (sad) fact. So i wouldn't get too high expectations.
I watched the trailer and i was like @_@ <- this =p I don't really expect it to be a "lfs beater" , but I expect it to be the NFS beater. If that happens we'll finaly get some decent arcadey racing game for PC - lets start saving money for a new computer ;D
It's possible they realise that NFS and PGR already have the arcade racer market covered and while Forza 2 may not have sold massively, it did pretty well and the fans it has are dedicated (because there's no other choice on 360 - GT might get it on PS3).

Either way, I think it's worth keeping an eye on. There's no way my PC will even look at it though, so if I was getting it I'd have to get the 360 version.
I'm aware of the fact that the console market is pretty well supplied with better and better arcade racing games, but the PC market isn't , imho =(
It's a sad thing they don't port some of the console racing games to the pc .
It looks awful. Far too many effects and unatural positioning of cars
Quote from (-Mark-) :

Take BTCC off that list, they no longer have the licence for it. And from what I hear RDONE and GRID are the same but they will have a separate V8/DTM game.
The crashes look pretty convincing. Shame the art direction is the same as all modern games - unrealistic colours and OTT bling.
It's not mentioned on the RACE 07 site but it might be an expansion pack. Let's hope someone else gets the rights ...
Well, nice nice... But Codemasters' physics are crap... We'll see...

Grid - Official Topic
(155 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG