The online racing simulator
S1 S2 S3 Updates etc.
(23 posts, started )
S1 S2 S3 Updates etc.
I dont want to be observed as flaming but I want to ask if this is the future of Live For Speed (by that I mean that we have to puchase the "updates/Liscences " to gain additional content everytime we get new stuff) This is not a good way to set up a game and by the way I think this is still in alpha also am I right. BTW no PUN intended just a simple Q/A.
Maybe it won't make them a lot of money, but for us it's cheap.

Quote from klingon :This is not a good way to set up a game and by the way I think this is still in alpha also am I right

Do you have something to prove your statement?
How is $24.88 per update or quote "liscence" cheap for you what happens when they have S9??????? GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates .
Edit: No Pun
#4 - Bean0
Back in 2003 when S1 was released, it wasn't definite that S2 or S3 would ever come out.

S1 was made available for £12 with the plan that if S2 and S3 came out then each stage would cost an extra £12 each, making the total cost for the full, finished LFS £36 which is comparable to that of a one-off purchase game.

S1/S2 share the same engine, so any updates apply across the board.
What is different is the content, the extra cars and tracks that were added when S2 was released (albeit in alpha stage) are what you pay the extra for.

Any updates to content you are already licensed for are free.

Edit: It is only recently that the value of the dollar has dropped, this is why it could seem expensive to you. Over here £12 is cheap for a game...about the cost of 2 packs of cigarettes.
Quote from klingon :what happens when they have S9???????

If everything goes according to plan, S3 is the final version of LFS.
Quote from klingon :How is $24.88 per update or licence cheap for you what happens when they have S9??????? GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates .

$24.88 per update might be a lot for you, but taking the game prices over here in account, it's actually quite cheap. I paid 24 pounds, or €36 for my licences. Compared to regular games which cost up to €65 ($102!), that's cheap.
Quote from AndroidXP :If everything goes according to plan, S3 is the final version of LFS.

Really? I guess it would make sence, but I watched a review with scawen and he said that they wanted to create all the different types of 4-wheel racing. (CORR, Rally, F1..everything). If S3 IS the final version it might be a big surprise to see how much content they have added
Quote from klingon :GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates .

I wouldn't buy GT5 even if it had all the cars in the world and beyond, and I had a PS3 in the shelf.

But I'd pay $150 for S3 right away if it was priced like that
But none of us (not even Scawen himself) knows how many smaller updates will come before then. Remember that just because we're at patch Y now doesn't mean that patch Z will be the last one in S2. There has already been plenty of speculation on what's going to happen after we pass Z.
And also remember we're still 0.5 Y. So we could go 0.6A next

That means there could be hundreds of content additions between now and then
LFS is a game where you really do need to play the demo, read the website and understand what LFS is all about before you buy anything. If you knew more about the game you wouldn't have just got S1, you would have got S2.

I don't look at is a paying for additional content, from what I understand that is what iracing is about and not what LFS is at all. It's more being a part of the development of LFS, I don't think you can really compare it to any other game.

There is no other game that I have played a much or for as long as LFS, I consider the price I paid a total bargin. But you've only just started with LFS so I guess you wont see it that way yet.
Quote from garph :There is no other game that I have played a much or for as long as LFS, I consider the price I paid a total bargin. But you've only just started with LFS so I guess you wont see it that way yet.

I agree with this 90%. Only because there has been another game that I have played longer, but thats on and off time. In game time LFS has won out and its only be 1 and a half years. I totally agree that this is a bargain, and IF they do go to S9 or whatever, I am sure the devs will completely LOCK S7 and lower so you can't even buy those, yet keeping the others paying. Sure that means the people who have paid for S1, S2 and so on will have paid more than the people who just joined but we also have been playing a lot longer than they have as well, and its money well spent IMO. For a new comer buying each license would cost too much and it would turn them away due to high price.
Quote from klingon :GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates.

This made me laugh.

Quality over quantity.

And it's for PlayStation anyway. LFS is for PC.
Quote from klingon :GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates .

By the way, you could count GT4, GT HD and GT 5 as updates of GT3, because they've all been released within LFS existence, and the differences between LFS's developement stages are even bigger than differences between these GT games.
Quote from garph :LFS is a game where you really do need to play the demo, read the website and understand what LFS is all about before you buy anything. If you knew more about the game you wouldn't have just got S1, you would have got S2.

I don't look at is a paying for additional content, from what I understand that is what iracing is about and not what LFS is at all. It's more being a part of the development of LFS, I don't think you can really compare it to any other game.

There is no other game that I have played a much or for as long as LFS, I consider the price I paid a total bargin. But you've only just started with LFS so I guess you wont see it that way yet.

Ever thought that some of us are not rich and games are a treat for them. I am not saying 24 bucks is all I have but it is all I can afford to spend on games right now.
Quote from frokki :By the way, you could count GT4, GT HD and GT 5 as updates of GT3, because they've all been released within LFS existence, and the differences between LFS's developement stages are even bigger than differences between these GT games.

They are not updates they are new games entirely if you have ever played any of them you would know.
The £24 I paid for S2 is much cheaper than most games that come out, all of them are well over £30, and I've had LFS for 3 years and I'm still playing it nearly every day.

I just think you're looking at it wrong, I don't see S1, S2 and finally S3 (when it comes out) as updates. To me they are individual games, the updates/patches are the Q, X and now Y, which are free.

S1 is totally self contained, you can even play with S2 users, S2 is it's own game and so the same for S3, eventually.
Quote from klingon :They are not updates they are new games entirely if you have ever played any of them you would know.

LFS S1 final and LFS S2 are two complete different games too. Only thing is that LFS S1 final is upgrade to S2 physics and graphics for free with S1 content. So you now only see the content differences.
Quote from AndroidXP :If everything goes according to plan, S3 is the final version of LFS.

Sad... But will it be much patches after that or will it stop somewhere?
As the other said, lfs is cheap. Its 36€right now, and will cost 48€, wich isnt very much, as i pay up to 69,99€for a game.
#21 - DeMS
Quote from klingon :How is $24.88 per update or quote "liscence" cheap for you what happens when they have S9??????? GT5 for ps3 is going to have over 700 cars and 200 tracks and full customization for only $60 and you dont have to pay for updates .

As stated before, final planned release of LFS is going to be S3, thus making the game be quite affordable (36 pounds or 45€, what you would expect for a 'cheap' game in Europe, but 71$ more a less in the USA), always depending on exchange rates for other currencies, but that happens all the time. If you dare to compare, at time of launch the PS3 costed 600$ on USA and 600€ in Europe, which is 938$ right now. You might pay 60$ for your games, we pay from 50 to 60€ here, some cheaper down to 40€, that would be 62 to 93$. Thing is, we've paid a lot more for years, there was barely any complaint. Now plenty of business (not specifically talking about videogames here) are jumping ships and switching to Euro, and you'll equally feel it. It's the way world goes.

Quote from klingon :Ever thought that some of us are not rich and games are a treat for them. I am not saying 24 bucks is all I have but it is all I can afford to spend on games right now.

So then you would not be able to afford GT5 (60$), so be happy you can find a cheap game! (24$ LFS)

Quote from klingon :They are not updates they are new games entirely if you have ever played any of them you would know.

They are new games the same way that one version of LFS has a huge amount of upgrades and updates over another (talking about licenses here mostly), just like you would have with Gran Turismo Prologue and GT5, but with that analogy you would have to pay the full game afterwards, so I don't know which business model is better or worse, if we're kept objective.

Just as a matter of a tip : Get S2.
You will get the new cars and tracks, which will be more than enough to justify the price.

If other posts are not clear enough for it:
- You pay so the game can keep on being developed, so there can be more updates, upgrades and new content (new content may be added free of cost, just like the FBM).
- S2 would be S1 with expansion pack as of now. However, it does almost double the content of S1, and most updates/upgrades would not be possible if people had not bought S1.
- The license system is there to be escalable. You might not want to pay too much or might not have enough money, so you get the same game, with the same characteristics of the latest license available, but with somewhat less content. If you want more (which you will want), you can just get another license, which is cheaper than a new game or most add-on packages.

Bottom point :
You decide
With regards to the whole, "Well GT5 has 2 bajillion cars and tracks" argument:

Quality, not quantity.

That's it. I said it. The fact is that it doesn't matter HOW many cars or tracks GT5 has - it cannot hold a candle to LFS when it comes to the enjoyment of actually playing the game. You simply do not have an argument here. Everything you've said so far can and HAS been easily refuted with better logic.
I don't see your point (the OP). LFS is going along just fine as it is, and nearly the entire user-base would gladly pay more for what we are getting. If you don't think that way, don't pay the money. Play GT5. Scavier have never tried to make a fortune from LFS, the type of game that it is proves this. LFS is the only true road-racing sim there is - the GT series is not a simulation. rF and NetKar PRO fall short as well. The only other sims available are the NASCAR Racing series from Papyrus (only good for oval racing, though), Richard Burns Rally (Rally, obviously) and Grand Prix Legends (classic Formula 1).

Racing simulators are in a very small niche market. You commenting on the release plan for LFS can only come on the premise that A) You don't want to/can't afford to buy the full license(s), or B) That you think that another method would make them more money. If it be case A, well... too bad. If it be case B then you have missed the point of LFS.

By the way - all three parts of LFS (assuming S3 is coming, and it is the final stage) is only 36 pounds. At current exchange rates that's hovering in the $70-$80 territory IIRC; for a game of this calibre, that is not a lot of money - especially considering the fact that LFS is an on-going development project. GT5 will come out, and within a couple years everyone will be sick of it and no one will play it - or it will be relegated to an occasional thing for a few laughs. LFS will still be in development at that time, and, it will still be better than GT5. (That is not meant to take anything away from the GT series, which I quite enjoy, too). So, for your $60 for GT5 you will get a couple years of entertainment. Those of us will get many, many more (and have already!) years of enjoyment from our $80. Sounds a bargain to me.

This is not meant to be condescending or anything, just a point to be made.

S1 S2 S3 Updates etc.
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG