The online racing simulator
Isnt it actualy Mclaren P1? :P
http://www.hdd.pt/download/118 ... n_Alonso_Onboard.avi.html

actually, if you look at this onboard - he was CELEBRATING the overtake and hit his fist in the button, not ripping a tear off.
Look at his right hand -its hilarious.

(to those that dont speak portuguese/spanish, hit the button marked "Continuar ->" on the middle right side, then wait for the countdown in the bottom of the page to go to zero , THEN download (its a rapidshare wannabe-site. Or should I say a slowshare wannabe shite?))
Quote from Stigpt :http://www.hdd.pt/download/118 ... n_Alonso_Onboard.avi.html

actually, if you look at this onboard - he was CELEBRATING the overtake and hit his fist in the button, not ripping a tear off.
Look at his right hand -its hilarious.

I totally agree with you
he just raise his fist and wasn't rip off something from his visior
at least it doesn't look like it and usually they move their hands from left to right or right to left to tear off strips from the visor.

Edit: and I have never seen someone doing it in such a short time
Funny that, I posted the same thing on a differn't forum yesterday, but decided against saying it here incase I got blowtorched by the Finns.

He seems to be moving way to quickly to me, to get the visor off and I doubt he'd do it just before a gear change was needed, even though their visors stick out, I doubt they'd be easy to tear off that quickly with gloves on....
And he would hardly want a fresh visor with only one lap remaining...
Well I dunno about that because He was very very close to Fernando just before he made the pass and Fernando was on the dirty inside line, so his visor probarly was dirty, but he probarly should have done his visor on this lap then once he finished punch the air with joy.
I suggest you watch that video at half or 25% speed, at least to me the hand movement looks just like tearing off the visor.
Meh, to me it looks as if he is trying to pull the visor-strip off, but pushes the pit limiter as soon as he takes his hand off the wheel, and then he quickly puts his hand back on the wheel and pushes the button again. The quick motion makes it seems as if he were celebrating, but I don't think he was.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of Kovi so I probably just can't accept that he made a stupid, ironic mistake
Quote from DaveWS :And he would hardly want a fresh visor with only one lap remaining...

If I remember correctly Bourdais blew his engine right in front of Kovalainen and Alonso the lap before...

Edit: I'm hoping someone can upload a good resolution trackside camera vid of Kovalainen, since I'm quite sure I saw a tear-off flying from his cockpit at that point (on tv).
Quote from traxxion :Edit: I'm hoping someone can upload a good resolution trackside camera vid of Kovalainen, since I'm quite sure I saw a tear-off flying from his cockpit at that point (on tv).

Yeah I thought I did too, but I might've been thinking of another lap. Watching the on-board you can see he's punching the air in celebration.
He pulled a tear off off, no doubt.

I have it recorded on our hdd recorder ,the feed from Channel Ten HD is really clear and you can see the tear off no problems .

No idea how to put that onto the pc though but i will check it out.
I also think he was only trying to tear the visor off. No point in celebrating when you are just accelerating to the main straight. And he did make mistakes in the last years GP so i think he was trying to be extra careful for this one, so i don't see the possibility of him celebrating at that point.

Then about Mclarens pitlimiter gotta wonder how its setup. Quoting Marc Gene "I was surprised by Kovalainen's mistake. It's unbelievable that Mclaren haven't made any changes after the mistakes that happened to Hamilton in Brazil in 2007" (Taken from finnish article quating Gene from El mundo magazine so the translation might not be so accurate.) So he thinks that the loss for speed in the last GP last season was due to similar pressing of the pitlimiter. Again quoting "Ferrari's pitlimiter only goes on in low speeds, never when the car is doing topspeeds."

So i might partly blame Mclaren about the functionality of the speedlimiter. Whats the point keeping it so that it can be pressed on in high speeds...
hmmmm, i picked up a clip of youtube before it got removed (again..) It was from kovalainen's cockpit, and it did look like he punched the air, but he punched "up" not "forward" so i dont really get how can u hit pit limiter buttona and turn it on. Well lets hope he doesnt make the same mistake again.
Quote from DevilDare :hmmmm, i picked up a clip of youtube before it got removed (again..) It was from kovalainen's cockpit, and it did look like he punched the air, but he punched "up" not "forward" so i dont really get how can u hit pit limiter buttona and turn it on. Well lets hope he doesnt make the same mistake again.

As i heard it, in an interview it was his elbow that hit the limiter.
Quote from traxxion :If I remember correctly Bourdais blew his engine right in front of Kovalainen and Alonso the lap before...

Edit: I'm hoping someone can upload a good resolution trackside camera vid of Kovalainen, since I'm quite sure I saw a tear-off flying from his cockpit at that point (on tv).

You saw that when he crossed the finish line a lap later, but not when he activated the pit speed limiter... The fact that he instantly knew what it was to be able to correct it is also suspicious...
Quote from bbman :The fact that he instantly knew what it was to be able to correct it is also suspicious...

What? He did it on purpose? It's not that unlikely he'd connect the two if he hit his elbow on the steering wheel and the car suddenly stopped accelerating.

I think some of you are looking a little too hard to find controversy where there is none. As has been said, if you look at the incident in slow motion, you see he's going for a tear-off but stopped himself as the limiter went on and then started fiddling with the wheel instead, exactly like he said himself. Why does it have to be more to it than that?
Well it doesn't look like he's trying to find his visor, even while watching it in slow motion, he's moving his hand in a fist shape and doing it very quickly, you'd think he would just reach up nicely and grap it in order to make sure he doesn't smash his wheel or lose grip of the visor.

I'd like to be wrong as I like him as a driver and felt he drove far to well to only have 5th at the end of the race, so a TV cam video would be nice to see.
If he was celebrating and lifting off the throttle he'd do that at the finish line, not before it. But regardless of what his right hand was doing I'm sure he'll be alright as soon as he remembers he's in his twenties and gets a nice fat pay-cheque for dicking around doing nothing of consequence really.
Quote from xaotik :But regardless of what his right hand was doing I'm sure he'll be alright as soon as he remembers he's in his twenties and gets a nice fat pay-cheque for dicking around doing nothing of consequence really.

If only we all had that job I have to work now and again! Quiet in the office today...wasn't like that yesterday!
Yeah, no shit. Instead I dick around and don't get paid much.

On a different note - unsurprisingly it seems that Ferrari are about to put the blame on the ECU for their engines going into standby mode (maybe they got the shareware version of the software that's only good for 60 laps - [Kimi kept getting a nag screen and changing the date on his installation]) and equally unsurprisingly Alonso said in a radio interview that he will have limited patience with Renault for the car to get up to speed.

All rights to mindless news reproduction and plagiarisms reserved solely in the aim of providing fuel for further mindless debates on issues concerning the rich and pampered.
The all-important journalistic fiction get-out-of-jail-free cards are there.. "paddock gossip" and "speculation suggests". The actual quotes from Ferrari people amount to diddly.

Alonso, though.. same self-serving tosser that he has been for the last 2 years. He's the worst PR guy for whichever team he's racing for.. absolutely abysmal in fact. People forget that he'd said, before his last season with Renault ended, that he thought Renault were sabotaging his championship in order to prevent McLaren having the coveted "00" race number for the following season. Sucks to be him!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65889

Mclaren are changing the system, which makes complete sense. Why not just have a little flip up covering the button so that you can't push it by accident? Still Kovalainen has done his job, he has spotted a problem early in the season so that Hamilton doesn't make the same mistake in the final when he is fighting for the championship against Kimi and Rosberg.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65889

Mclaren are changing the system, which makes complete sense. Why not just have a little flip up covering the button so that you can't push it by accident? Still Kovalainen has done his job, he has spotted a problem early in the season so that Hamilton doesn't make the same mistake in the final when he is fighting for the championship against Kimi and Rosberg.

You never know, he just might find a neatly positioned button which triggers the car's self-destruct.
Quote from Jertje :You never know, he just might find a neatly positioned button which triggers the car's self-destruct.

Then he would wonder why it had a prancing horse on it.
I thought that was hilarious when he hit the button. Was even bettter when i found out he was cheering not removing a tearoff.

Melbourne GP *Spoilers*
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG