My own host name won't open to me. Help
I have been away from LFS for a month due to illness and now when I'm back and I want to open up the Host to race - head to head - with a friend it refuses to open up for me and says "Host not found on Main Server" even though both of us are bona fide members and have used the host name and password stacks of times. Is there some time limit which shuts a host name down if it isn't used for a few weeks?
All we can do is go onto the public tracks. Is it a question of making up a new one?? Be grateful for any guidance on this issue. Thanks.
A server only runs as long as whoever created that game is running the LFS dedi or the LFS full client, with a multiplayer game setup. If that person closes the server in any way, it is no longer available.

If you were previously running the game yourself you need to start it again. If you are doing so it probably means that you need to change any port forwarding or firewall rules so that they are suitable for your current setup.

If you were renting a server from someone, you need to take it up with them.
Excuse my ignorance Angry Angel
Sorry but the terms, "LFS dedi", "LFS full client" and "port forwarding" are meaningless to me. Unless you mean that full client means someone who has paid for the full S2 licence.
One of us went to "Start New Host" via MULTIPLAYER and chose a name and a password. We have been using those happily for a couple of years but now, after a month's absence, they won't open when we go to "join specific host".
(We just race head to head over various tracks but now we have to join the public tracks to take part in the same race.)
I've tried setting up a new host via "Start New Host" but it will only allow me three cars and not the FOX.
I would be most grateful for any guidance on this issue. Thanks.
Why not look in the_angry_angel's sig and click "Setting up a LFS server"
Sounds like the server is being started in demo mode (are the three cars the XFG, XRG and FBM?).

LFS full client = the normal game
LFS dedi = special dedicated server, a seperate download; you would know if you were using it (by the sound of things, unlikely)

Is the other race in your same household or at a remote location?
* If remote, one of you will need port forwarding set up (whichever is creating the server).
* If you are in the same house and trying to play over LAN, then you don't need to worry about port forwarding. You will need to make sure that you are creating a local server (rather than an online server), and likewise are trying to join a local server.
Thanks Bob Smith and Angry Angel
thanks to you both. I have been able to rectify the difficulty by re-installing and now we are happily re-connected and using the same "host name" and password. Maybe the problem was caused by sunspots and/or the curvature of the earth not being in alignment with the latitude and longitude as issued by our glorious eu masters (spit).....
Quote from peejayh :Maybe the problem was caused by sunspots and/or the curvature of the earth not being in alignment with the latitude and longitude as issued by our glorious eu masters (spit).....

Ah yes, that old chestnut....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG