The online racing simulator
video aspect ratio so often wrong!
hi guys,

Looking at many video's lately it is so obvious that a lot of them have dodgy aspect ratio. Sometimes very obvious, sometimes its 1.22 /1 instead of 1.3 /1.

I found a fairly decent 100mb video of the 2 RUF CTR @ Nurby (drifting) vids but it has the wrong aspect ratio. Loads of vids on Google Video are wrong too!

So I found this program "Videoperspective" which can supposedly change aspect ratio and recode... Well, in the preview screen it does change the video aspect ratio, but recoding, that RUF still has oval wheels

Isn't there some intelligent media player plugin that can change its aspect ratio?
#2 - avih
there are tons of players that can change the aspect ratio.
Media player classic (windows)
zoom player (windows)
ffdshow (multi-codec/postprocessor "driver" for any windows-media based player like WMP etc)
mplayer (linux/windows)
TCMP (windows)
And I'm sure BSplayer can do that too, and many other players around.

put it simply, only windows media player can't (without the help of ffdshow)

I usually use either MPC(+ffdshow) or mplayer which supports any known file format in the world.
aah top stuff, I actually had media player classic, but didn't expect it to have this option!

Thanks!

N
#4 - avih
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :aah top stuff, I actually had media player classic, but didn't expect it to have this option!

Thanks!

N

don't let the simple took deceive you it's one of the best around, with great options and customizability...
Similarly I'd like to reshape every goddamn TFT screen out there to sensible proportions, but I've a harder challenge on my mind...
#6 - J.B.
Quote from Bob Smith :Similarly I'd like to reshape every goddamn TFT screen out there to sensible proportions, but I've a harder challenge on my mind...

I'd like to know why they do it in the first place? And why are DVD's not encoded with square pixels? And why doesn't anybody care about wrong aspect ratios? In Germany TV is mostly broadcast in 4:3 and yet many people buy 16:9 TV's and use the disgusting stretch to 16:9 mode. illepall Anyone have answers to these questions?

BTW even Windows Media Player can change AR (needed to watch A1GP streams). It's hidden in options/devices/screen or something.
My house mates last year bought a 50" HDTV Rear Projector (they were rich bastards!). It was, obviously, 16:9 (or close to), yet they insisted in running ANY video (being TV, DVD, PS2 or PC) at 16:9 regardless of the ratio of the video itself.

I questioned them about this (as I had to keep changing the ratio for Top Gear and F1 iirc), and they said they didn't like seeing the wasted space when they'd paid for me. They claimed they couldn't see that everything was squashed and distorted. I reckon it must have serious consequences, like finding short fat women comparatively more attractive than they would otherwise (nothing against short fat women btw, I'm speaking in relative terms ).

So, no I have no answers. Does anyone here actually have a 16:9 screen and actually forces everything to stretch if necessary?
Quote from tristancliffe :.....Does anyone here actually have a 16:9 screen and actually forces everything to stretch if necessary?

Most certainly not. On my 24" widescreen (16:10) CRT monitor, I measured the height of the monitor and set the width for every single 4:3 resolution to be proper 4:3 aspect ratio, making it effectively a 21" monitor in those resolutions. I can't stand it when the image is stretched.
I managed to convince my friend who bought a 32" TV to run normal telly in 4:3 mode and DVDs in widescreen... but he still plays console games stretched.

"I didn't know you had an rugby games..."
"It's football?!"
"Oh ".
#10 - avih
most ppl are just clueless and are usually unable to see the distortion of 16:9 vs 4:3. sad, but true.
When my 32" was less broken then it is now, i used to run it on "full" mode for essentially everything, somehow i got used to it and couldn't be bothered to change around.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG