The online racing simulator
"LFS" PC Specs
(47 posts, started )
i think the minimum PC requirements on LFS.net need to be updated, because with that you get around 10fps single player, i dont wanna know what its like full grid...

1 GHz CPU, 128 MB memory, 3D graphics card
Thats minimum requirement

should be something like:
2Ghz+ CPU, 512MB memory, Uptodate graphics card
Quote from harjun :i think the minimum PC requirements on LFS.net need to be updated, because with that you get around 10fps single player, i dont wanna know what its like full grid...

+1
Quote from harjun :i think the minimum PC requirements on LFS.net need to be updated, because with that you get around 10fps single player, i dont wanna know what its like full grid...

i run the first one...and i think it souldnt be uprgrades, Minimum is for lees resolution, and LOD and with that you will be fine, and 10 fps? single player LOL, i get that when i have lfs at full res and AA on

I built a simple computer for my parents from old parts, Celeron 300@450, 320 MB RAM, Ati Radeon 9200 128 MB. I installed LFS on it and its almost playable in single player on Blackwood (Patch Y) under WinXP SP2.
I play LFS just fine on my 2.2ghz Celeron on onboard graphics, even back when I had 96MB of RAM. The MINIMUM specs listed seem okay. I run 800x600 to be greedy, I get perfectly smooth performance at 640x480, so I'm sure a lower spec processor, and lower spec intergrated graphics will be able to run LFS okay.
~Bryan~
Quote from dropin_biking :I play LFS just fine on my 2.2ghz Celeron on onboard graphics, even back when I had 96MB of RAM. The MINIMUM specs listed seem okay. I run 800x600 to be greedy, I get perfectly smooth performance at 640x480, so I'm sure a lower spec processor, and lower spec intergrated graphics will be able to run LFS okay.
~Bryan~

you imagine....i live, i have the exact same as it says, ok, fair enough. It's a brand new installation of Win. 98 on a Pentium 1.7Ghz 4, 268mb RAM, and a "3D onboard graphics card"....that runs at all settings on low, lowest resolution, if i'm lucky it does 20fps or something single player....
Exactly, but it's still playable. I average about 15fps doing some hotlapping (the trick is to use half-res textures, replace some textures with solid colour files, things like that) But don't you have your e2180 machine anyways? Why would you care about crappy performance on a P4? Oh and just so you know, your P4 is much more powerful then my Celeron.
Quote from dropin_biking :Exactly, but it's still playable. I average about 15fps doing some hotlapping (the trick is to use half-res textures, replace some textures with solid colour files, things like that) But don't you have your e2180 machine anyways? Why would you care about crappy performance on a P4? Oh and just so you know, your P4 is much more powerful then my Celeron.

when i was like...10 i had a Pentium 3 900Mhz which was running around 15fps....its playable, but the point of a game is for it to be playable to a good standard...i still say

2Ghz+ Processor
258Mb Dedicated Graphics card
512Mb RAM
I get around 80FPS on Full graphics - Best one possible with everything on E.g Rims, Skins etc. I get this on a fullish grid - Is that good?
I just fired up LFS, loaded Blackwood, and took a lap around in the XRG, alone. I benchmarked it with FRAPS to show that you can still play the game with a lower spec PC. Settings as followed:

800x600 16bit @ 100hz
User LOD = .2
Mirror LOD = .1
Dust LOD = .2
Haze, sky, shadows = off
Full wheels, trees, flags, rubber = main
Texture MIP Bias = -4
dither, mip filter, full size texture = off
car and helmet skins = compressed
Z buffer depth = 32
Simple track = all
View = Wheels
Mirrors = off

Like I said, I could bump the resolution down to 640x480 and get smoother performance, but my machine is more then acceptable to play LFS.
~Bryan~
EDIT: Added graph of 640x480 resolution, average framerate of 23fps.
Attached images
Blackwood - XRG.jpg
Blackwood - XRG 640x480.jpg
Quote from dmwright :I get around 80FPS on Full graphics - Best one possible with everything on E.g Rims, Skins etc. I get this on a fullish grid - Is that good?

yes.
Somehow I think my rig is not set up correctly for LF. I can get 90 - 95fps when I'm hot lapping but with a full grid of cars going into the first turn it only manages 30 - 35fps and my PC spec is pretty good:
Intel dual core 2.4 e6600 processor
2gb PC6400 ram
8800GT Graphics card 512mb

And still only 95fps!?!?!?!
*Scratches head* I'm not TOO knowledgable, but that does sound okay. The full grid will bring anything to its knees (except maybe one of those new e8x00 series chips, clocked at 4ghz+) But still, why complain? Your monitor is probably only kicking a 60hz refresh rate anyways. Plus, with low latency DDR2 ram, a Conroe chip with plenty of cache, and an 8800GT with DDR3 memory, you should get smooth performance, even at 35fps.
~Bryan~
Quote from Mike Bingo :Somehow I think my rig is not set up correctly for LF. I can get 90 - 95fps when I'm hot lapping but with a full grid of cars going into the first turn it only manages 30 - 35fps and my PC spec is pretty good:
2gb PC6400 ram

install new drivers?
Quote from harjun :that runs at all settings on low, lowest resolution, if i'm lucky it does 20fps or something single player....

That's why it's the MINIMUM spec to play LFS...any lower and it be unplayable.

Edit: Damn, my 3,000th post was used to correct Harjun. Shame the other 2,998 were also correcting Harjun :/
Quote from The General Lee :That's why it's the MINIMUM spec to play LFS...any lower and it be unplayable.

Edit: Damn, my 3,000th post was used to correct Harjun. Shame the other 2,998 were also correcting Harjun :/

Quote from Mike Bingo :Somehow I think my rig is not set up correctly for LF. I can get 90 - 95fps when I'm hot lapping but with a full grid of cars going into the first turn it only manages 30 - 35fps and my PC spec is pretty good:
2gb PC6400 ram

yeah something is up, i have the exact same specs as you and i get 100fps from the back of a grid of 28 cars with 16 AA 16 AF everything maxed out and 1680*1050 res, try updating your drivers, also my cpu is OC'd to 3.3 ghz. lfs looks awesome cranked up
Quote from HRT SHAUN :yeah something is up, i have the exact same specs as you and i get 100fps from the back of a grid of 28 cars with 16 AA 16 AF everything maxed out and 1680*1050 res, try updating your drivers, also my cpu is OC'd to 3.3 ghz. lfs looks awesome cranked up

I have pretty much that same setup as well. I cranked all the AA and run at the same res. Only difference is my 6320 Dual Core is O/C to 2.8 ghz not that it needs to be for this this sim. If i unlock the max fps it will go up to 200 and bounce down 150fps full grid. I have it locked at 100 though. Never drops. Defiantly check the drivers for all your hardware including chipset drivers. There are some important drivers for the chipset that will control your PCI-E slot(s). However I would start with the Graphics Card Drivers like it recommended by others here. If none of that works and you are getting crashes, not that you said you were, use Memtest86 boot CD to check for bad memory. If you get red in Memtest86 try one stick at a time until you find the bad stick. Good luck.

I love this Sim.

I use a Tbird 1.4 ghz + Radeon 9600 pro + 512 mo ram

The game work just fine in single player with less than 5 AI
and online with approximately less than 10 people.

It's still payable if I go beyond that but the start of the race is hazardous.
Quote from Scawen :

True. Eric does read the forums and appreciates the feedback. He just doesn't want to get drawn into conversations which could contain a lot of "when will this be done" and "what are the plans for this and that". His situation is not the same as mine where I really need very thorough and interactive testing done for any of my updates.

I can clearly see why somethimes
beign a developer must be stresfull ore isnt it??

anyway just hope u guys have as much fun making the game as we have in playing it
2gb PC6400 ram

Is the frame limiter on?
Quote from Luke.S :Is the frame limiter on?

:dunce: whoops

Now I'm getting 150fps when hotlapping

"LFS" PC Specs
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG