The online racing simulator
#1 - word.
Aston Club hotlaps: is this cheating?
Yesterday I did a 1 hour race in the FXO on Aston Club. Today I watched the world record replay and noticed the driver drove up an access road to get a faster start onto the main straight.

Would you call this a cheat? I think it shouldn't be allowed. It seems that he gets about an extra 10km/h from it.
Attached images
lfs_00000347.jpg
lfs_00000351.jpg
lfs_00000356.jpg
lfs_00000357.jpg
lfs_00000359.jpg
lfs_00000360.jpg
Quote from word. :Yesterday I did a 1 hour race in the FXO on Aston Club. Today I watched the world record replay and noticed the driver drove up an access road to get a faster start onto the main straight.

Would you call this a cheat? I think it shouldn't be allowed. It seems that he gets about an extra 10km/h from it.

lol.. ive seen this on fox patch x wr replays... and i think there's no problem
HLVC should have invalidated the lap because he was facing backwards on the circuit. If he had just stayed wide on entry to get a bit of extra room, that would have been fine. It is normal for drivers starting a qualifying lap to take a different line through the final corner in order to gain a bit of extra speed.
No. HLVC invalidates laps when you go a certain amount of sector/split/thingies backwards, facing backwards isn't enough.
#5 - arco
Not a big problem imo. That place is part of the track, and yes you gain a little by starting there. Maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds on 1st split, depending on the car. But this is hotlapping we're talking about, it's not like you would start there in a normal race. I would think almost all serious hotlappers start there, since if one person does it, everyone else will do so also. So I don't think I would call it cheating exactly. Wallriding on the other hand, is far more of a cheat. :thumbsdow
Actually, in most of the WR hotlaps on Aston Club the driver uses that part. Is it cheating if everybody does it? That's up to the devs. I guess they can put that barrier closer to the track.
that start doesnt really do anything,if you watch your speedo at the point of the start line its gonna be almost the same,maybe 0.1 you gain,but again its really nothing
I'd agree that it isn't cheating per se, but .1 is signficant when trying for a WR, especially on a short circuit like AS2.
They used to do this in formula one back on an old french track. cant remember the name might have been rouen? it was in F1 Racing a few years back could have been a different track though.
I don't know if its "cheating", but I do think its unethical. I wouldn't do it, but Maybe thats why I'll never be a WR holder
Quote from sil3ntwar :They used to do this in formula one back on an old french track. cant remember the name might have been rouen? it was in F1 Racing a few years back could have been a different track though.

Keke Rosberg pulled something like this in Spa in the 80's.. Those days the start-finish line was after the hairpin before eau-rouge, and you could exit the track at the first corner, and basically drive all the way to Spa before turning back.
Im fine with it, because it just makes it more embarrassing for the person who set the wr, when you beat it without using that run up
I don't see anything wrong with doing so. Why would it be - everyone else can do the same. He's not exploiting some bugs or driving in some unrealistic fashion and it doesn't even require you to posses some magic alien skills.

The rock solid alternative would be to have the car prerunning on a predefined path and speed and you then take over like in so many other games. I don't hope that ever happens in LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG