The online racing simulator
Mouse "fast steering" penalty
(11 posts, started )
I have noticed that in lfs u can turn your wheel to any angle almost instantly if u use a controller like mouse (or wheel whith very small angle). I was using df pro and noticed , watching races as a spectator, that sometimes in some cars the wheel turns very strange and unrealisticly fast. In real life if u'll have a steering whith very sensitive ratio (like formula) u still cant turn whell very fast because its VERY hard.

During the race u have significant advantage if u can steer very fast- especially when the car starts to drift and u must catch it - the mouse with the ability to set the correct angle for the wheels with one easy movement looks ideal.

The solution -if we cannot controll the hardware that player uses-maybe for the road cars in lfs must be some wheel turning delay-whitch will be less than the fastest time pro pilot can steer with the normal whell, so i'll be unnoticable if u use normal 900 degree wheel with some feedback-but the balance between wheel an mouse will be correct.
Well, if the controller is not a wheel you could assign a maximum "strength" for the driver to prevent instant moves. But then again, does this really make so much difference? I know that it's easier to catch a slide with a mouse, but the immersion you get with said device is quite low too.

So, you get immersion, he gets a bonus to catching slides. Not that the mouse is that ideal for controlling a car anyways.

I agreed that the old keyboard helps needed to go/be weakend, but to drive fast with the mouse you actually need some skill, so I don't think the nerfstick is warranted here.
#3 - P1lot
Remember that if you where watching others online, you are only getting 4 updates per second and the steering wheel position isn't smoothed between these updates. It might have appeared as an instant change in position, but probably not as bad as first thought.
#4 - ORION
delay = indirect gameplay = pure crap

-> recycle bin
good point, but i dont think it's necessary to punish those who use mouse, they've got it troublesome enough with their digital brakes/throttle :P
2 orion: when u move mouse u see driving wheel slider or interior wheel - it will turn without delay but with some constant max speed.

It is impossible in reality to make wheels turn instantly-or i want such device in my car.

2felplacerad: mouse users can use analog pedals .

I'ts NOT ONLY MOUSE - U CAN USE VERY LIGHT SENSITIVE 60 degree WHEEL WITHOUT FEEDBACK on airplane pedals or whatever to steer the lfs car or real car-i've seen such prototypes -by it is impossible to make mekhanism wich will instanly turn normal wheels in reality-THAT IS WHY WE DONT SEE IN REALITY MOUSE-or jostick-CONTROLLED RACECARS. Each turning wheel is a gyroscope - and if u lift fwd car and run it and make weels turn-than sit into it and try to turn wheels right and left- u'll notice significant force-even the wheels are in the air and no friction with the ground ...And than imagine car on hot slicks....Even if u are in the hi-end racecar with smart electrical steering amplifier-it is not able to turn wheels instanly especially at high speed.
From THIS point of realism even the computer driving wheels - the best - are not ideal .I havent seen the wheel wich has strong enough feedback to make it impossible to turn if u are trying to turn it too fast.

But i think something have to be done - or soon we'll -face with some artificial driving style-like braking, rapidly turnig weels from side to side lock or so
yup it is easier to catch a slide with a wheel with small angle ... but on the whole it doesnt matter much ... driving with a dfp will teach you to drive smoothly and not make many mistakes ... on the whole youll progress faster than anybody who can catch any slide
Quote from felplacerad :good point, but i dont think it's necessary to punish those who use mouse, they've got it troublesome enough with their digital brakes/throttle :P

Digital brakes/throttle? I use the mouse for steering, braking, and throttling. Steering on the x-axis, brake/throttle on the y-axis. Mouse drivers can have analog too :-)
#9 - bbman
Quote from Shotglass :yup it is easier to catch a slide with a wheel with small angle ... but on the whole it doesnt matter much ... driving with a dfp will teach you to drive smoothly and not make many mistakes ... on the whole youll progress faster than anybody who can catch any slide

Exactly... If you have to catch a slide, you'll be way slower than the others... So, there shouldn't be any punishment, as it doesn't matter anyway...
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Quote from NetDemon01 :Digital brakes/throttle? I use the mouse for steering, braking, and throttling. Steering on the x-axis, brake/throttle on the y-axis. Mouse drivers can have analog too :-)

Please tell me how.

/very interested laptop user.
Quote from skiingman :Please tell me how.

/very interested laptop user.

Well I made another topic about how it sort of causes a problem because the game recognizes me as using a wheel and not a mouse. What you have to do is select Wheel as your controller so then the game allows you to set up the x- and y-axes of your mouse to the steering and throttle/brake. Using the normal "mouse" controller selection forces you to have steering on the x-axis and forces you to assign brake/throttle to some buttons, which is crappy.

In case you're wondering, the steering is like it always is, cursor on the left half of screen to turn left, cursor on the right half of the screen to turn right. Same idea for throttle/brake, upper half of the screen for throttle, lower half of the screen for braking. You can also set dead zones so the throttle and brake dont activate until the cursor is higher or lower on the screen. Works like a champ, tons better than keyboard, and has made me tons faster compared to how I was on gamepad.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG