The online racing simulator
[Security] setup sending flood
(6 posts, started )
Users can cause sudden lag spikes by flooding another user with multiple rapid setup sends. And this isn't detectable via insim (like a message flood would be) afaik so an external protection scheme can't be applied.

Had that happen yesterday when a user wanted to share his setup with me, he spammed the send setup button (because "I wasn't paying attention to him"), I got a screen full of "has sent his setup" messages and a lagspike, which can be pretty damned annoying when approaching a turn.
Hmmm...i knew people could spam setups but i didnt know it caused lag spikes. Was this yesterday in CTRA when i was there too?(FE1)
Been said before, but it'd be better if the setup was not 'sent', merely flagged for sharing. Only when the receiver clicks the 'S' button the setup is transferred. A lockout of a couple of seconds could help too.
Yeah, a 2 second debounce period would probably be the easiest to implement. Oddly, I didn't find any previous bug report of this when I searched for "flooding" but it might be under "spamming".

@mcgas001: No, it wasn't on the CTRA R1 server - the only problem there was the very-close-to-banger racing. :P
Quote from xaotik :Yeah, a 2 second debounce period would probably be the easiest to implement. Oddly, I didn't find any previous bug report of this when I searched for "flooding" but it might be under "spamming".

@mcgas001: No, it wasn't on the CTRA R1 server - the only problem there was the very-close-to-banger racing. :P

I was referring to the setup being flagged for sharing having being mentioned before, not the exploit. It's a first I've heard of it causing lag aside from the message spam.
Then it might of been a coincidence... *shrug*
There were an awful lot of messages though. IIRC the message history was full and add some. I guess someone should lay off the coffee.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG