The online racing simulator
An opportunity to play S2 (sort of)...and a little opinion from you.
This afternoon i visited a friend of mine and had the unique opportunity of playing S2 (but only when i arrived home i figured "How can someone have S2 in a computer with no internet connection?" Uhmm)...but anyway, i just want to ask a little question.

There i tried to do something i have been trying for some time, which is racing on drift conditions as fast as i can, and i want to know your opinion about the best time i made on Fern Bay (Green circuit, i think) with my XRG.

Almost all my laps were under 1.35.XX, and my best lap was 1.32.63. Do you think it's a good time, a bad time, an average time,...

Here is the circuit with the techniques i used on each curve, i would like to read your opinion about this aswell.

The red dots are the curves where i used the e-brake to drift.
The green dots are the curves where i did some small oversteering.
I gripped on the rest of the track.
7 seconds slower than the WR still pretty ok though. Thumbs up
and i forgot to mention. i used the xrg default hardtrack setup. ok, with reduced brake power to prevent the wheels from blocking, since i was using mouse/keyboard. from 1000 to 750 nm.
nice to be new...
Quote from jonny__27 :
There i tried to do something i have been trying for some time, which is racing on drift conditions as fast as i can, and i want to know your opinion about the best time i made on Fern Bay (Green circuit, i think) with my XRG.

The red dots are the curves where i used the e-brake to drift.
The green dots are the curves where i did some small oversteering.
I gripped on the rest of the track.

It's somewhat difficult to form an opinion given that you were trying to "race drift," which I assume to mean that you were sliding into the corner. That method is not only slower, but also hell for your tires. Dramatically induced oversteer should only be used on the smallest and slowest corners.

Keep the rear tires in line with the front (or close to it) and you'll get much faster. Thumbs up
^yup.
Basically, if you want to be fast in a race, don't drift. It's slower, it kills your tyres and if you start using the e-brake and hanging the rear out during an online race, people are going to want to kick you off the server very quickly.
you CAN'T drift with a FWD car.No,sorry.
Quote from CobraDrifter :you CAN'T drift with a FWD car.No,sorry.

??? He said XRG lol ya know the cheap version of the XRT and its RWD too!

On topic : Dont drift any corners if you want speed and also handbraking will just slow you down dramaticly on top of that.

A small slip is ok from time to time but it really has to be minimal.
in reverse ? ^^
WTF's an 'e-brake'!?

Regards,

Ian
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Emergency brake aka handbrake.

You've gotta be shittin' me!? The handbrake is the _last_ think I'd think of using in an emergency when thinking about braking.

That pretty much says it all.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :You've gotta be shittin' me!? The handbrake is the _last_ think I'd think of using in an emergency when thinking about braking.

Regards,

Ian

+1, I cant wait to see when he takes his driving test Wink
Quote from Ian.H :You've gotta be shittin' me!? The handbrake is the _last_ think I'd think of using in an emergency when thinking about braking.

Regards,

Ian

So, when the main pedal brakes go out for some unknown reason, you would rather run straight into something rather than ease on the handbrake?

Yes, I have had to use the "e-brake" to keep from running through the stopped car up ahead when my brakelines blew a hole and my brake pedal was as floppy as taking the pedal spring out of your PC wheel controller.
Quote from mrodgers :So, when the main pedal brakes go out, you would rather run straight into something rather than ease on the handbrake?

Id use the engine braking....
There is such a thing as steering too, you know.
Ever heard of engine braking?

Damn you mcgas001, damn you!
Quote from March Hare :There is such a thing as steering too, you know.

lmfao!
#18 - Jakg
Side-Brake is probably a borked english translation as in drift cars the handbrake is between the gear stick and the driver (rather than being behind the gear stick) so it's easy to access (rather being in an awkward position so that it's hard to get it by accident).

"E-Brake" is a retarded saying as the only way you'd have an emergency and a handbrake together is if you wanted to cause one!
Quote from March Hare :There is such a thing as steering too, you know.

Oh, I see. As we all know, cars are definitely different outside of the US. Indeed engine braking will completely stop your car coming up to an intersection with 2 cars stopped ahead, crossing traffic, cars stopped on the other side, and pedestrians and storefronts on the side of you. I had no idea engine braking will stop a car in sufficient time if you have NO hydrolic braking in UK/Europe.

Why have a braking system at all if you can just come to a complete stop with engine braking?

Much better to try to steer your way through all of that rather then using the handbrake to actually attempt to stop.
Quote from mrodgers :Oh, I see. As we all know, cars are definitely different outside of the US. Indeed engine braking will completely stop your car coming up to an intersection with 2 cars stopped ahead, crossing traffic, cars stopped on the other side, and pedestrians and storefronts on the side of you. I had no idea engine braking will stop a car in sufficient time if you have NO hydrolic braking in UK/Europe.

Why have a braking system at all if you can just come to a complete stop with engine braking?

Much better to try to steer your way through all of that rather then using the handbrake to actually attempt to stop.

No, Go learn something. You force downgear to slow the car down. Uh-hu
Quote from mrodgers :So, when the main pedal brakes go out for some unknown reason, you would rather run straight into something rather than ease on the handbrake?

Yes, I have had to use the "e-brake" to keep from running through the stopped car up ahead when my brakelines blew a hole and my brake pedal was as floppy as taking the pedal spring out of your PC wheel controller.

I've had brakes fail when one of the front wheels had rubbed its way clean through the brake pipe (don't ask).. and only noticed this while coming off of a road at 85mph heading towards a roundabout at the end of the sliproad as it was fine previous.... again, the handbrake was the last thing (actually, it simply didn't) to enter my head... I went down through the gears, was able to get a quick glimpse of what was about and then actually hit the throttle to make sure I got into the gap I'd seen.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from mrodgers :Oh, I see. As we all know, cars are definitely different outside of the US. Indeed engine braking will completely stop your car coming up to an intersection with 2 cars stopped ahead, crossing traffic, cars stopped on the other side, and pedestrians and storefronts on the side of you. I had no idea engine braking will stop a car in sufficient time if you have NO hydrolic braking in UK/Europe.

Hammering down through the gears rapidly would slow the car down quite considerably.. and then you have a choice to make.. do you damage your gearbox, or risk running into something.... I'd sooner slam it into first and all but stand it on its nose than perhaps hit 4 cars in front of me, or god forbid, a kid or the likes.

Regards,

Ian
Ian, we have to give the guy some slack. He doesn't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

Atleast my car (A mk 3 Golf Variant) slows down more rapidly by using engine braking. The hand-brake only locks the rear wheels and then it's skidding time. No matter what the weather, be it dry or wet or snow or ice.
Now my previous car (-84 Saab 900) had the hand brake act on the FRONT wheels. Yes the actual wheels on the front. The ones that turn. Even it slowed down more with engine braking.

You might want to use the hand brake to actually stop but for slowing down the engine is much better.
Quote from March Hare :Ian, we have to give the guy some slack. He doesn't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

Atleast my car (A mk 3 Golf Variant) slows down more rapidly by using engine braking. The hand-brake only locks the rear wheels and then it's skidding time. No matter what the weather, be it dry or wet or snow or ice.
Now my previous car (-84 Saab 900) had the hand brake act on the FRONT wheels. Yes the actual wheels on the front. The ones that turn. Even it slowed down more with engine braking.

You might want to use the hand brake to actually stop but for slowing down the engine is much better.

I didn't know (some) Saabs came with handbrakes on the front wheels. I've serviced a few shitroens that had it.

I know in my E30 the engine braking (especially 1st and 2nd gears) is really quite strong, enough to make you lunge forward in the seat if you're not wearing a belt. As you say, problem with the handbrake is it really doesn't take much to go from rolling to locked up state and once you hit the latter, it really is guesswork as to what will happen next.. I'd sooner see what I'm about to hit than it be a complete surprise if it came to the crunch and it was inevitable.

Regards,

Ian
"Some" is the right word. I believe it was changed to rear wheels soon after my car was made. If I'm not totally wrong I believe the -85 model had the hand brake act on the rear wheels. I don't know about the previous models.

Better to hit the rear of a stationary car head on than an oncoming car side first.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG